• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tri-Cast John Allerton Rod, anyone use it?

Huanzhou Zhu

I am looking to upgrade my 13ft float rod for general river trotting, mainly for chub and roach, I really like the spliced tip rod, and the easiest one to get today is the Tri-Cast John Allerton Rod, unfortunately, I am unable to find a local shop that sells it and I am unable to travel at the moment, so if anyone has one, I would like to know what’s the line rating ? And what’s the action is like? It seems has some power from mid to butt section?

Although not very important, how heavy is it?

Thanks.

I had one and mine weighed 162g. Be wary of buying one blind. I wasn't entirely happy with mine. I wasn't that keen on the action. The fella that bought it from me likes it a lot. I couldn't get on with the bulbous handle and the screw up reel seat. The new owner has no issues with either.

Ultimately, I had several spliced tip rods that I preferred to use so I sold the Allerton. You might think it's the best thing since sliced bread.

If you find well known roach angler Mark Wintle’s videos; he uses an Allerton and loves it.

But he (like Chris Jones) hates the reel seat - so he reworks it. Again video available.

If you can’t find him on YouTube, he uploads all his stuff on ‘maggotdrowning’.

I had the model before Chris and the later version and i wasn’t a huge fan either.
I can live with a screw up reel seat if the rest of the rod really floats my boat but it didn’t and i actually preferred the earlier version slightly. It’s a deceptively powerful rod and the blanks i found didn’t bend or blend into their spliced tips anything like some of the better spliced rods i have.
That said they are made to a really high standard and if 14ft rods had a big place in my armory I’d chose a trilogy xs over an allerton any day of the week even though im a spliced tip fan.
The action on the trilogy is a lot nicer

I had one and mine weighed 162g. Be wary of buying one blind. I wasn't entirely happy with mine. I wasn't that keen on the action. The fella that bought it from me likes it a lot. I couldn't get on with the bulbous handle and the screw up reel seat. The new owner has no issues with either.

Ultimately, I had several spliced tip rods that I preferred to use so I sold the Allerton. You might think it's the best thing since sliced bread.
Unlike the ledgering rod, I normally don’t buy float rod on blind, I always want to feel the rod with a reel on it first.

Given the reply, I probably should wait and see if I can find one to try first.

I am looking to upgrade my 13ft float rod for general river trotting, mainly for chub and roach, I really like the spliced tip rod, and the easiest one to get today is the Tri-Cast John Allerton Rod, unfortunately, I am unable to find a local shop that sells it and I am unable to travel at the moment, so if anyone has one, I would like to know what’s the line rating ? And what’s the action is like? It seems has some power from mid to butt section?

Although not very important, how heavy is it?

Thanks.
Huanzhou, if you can live with what you have for the time being, you would be better keeping your powder dry and waiting for a Browning Sphere to come up.

If you find well known roach angler Mark Wintle’s videos; he uses an Allerton and loves it.

But he (like Chris Jones) hates the reel seat - so he reworks it. Again video available.

If you can’t find him on YouTube, he uploads all his stuff on ‘maggotdrowning’.
Yeah, I watched his video of changing the reel seat.

I had the model before Chris and the later version and i wasn’t a huge fan either.
I can live with a screw up reel seat if the rest of the rod really floats my boat but it didn’t and i actually preferred the earlier version slightly. It’s a deceptively powerful rod and the blanks i found didn’t bend or blend into their spliced tips anything like some of the better spliced rods i have.
That said they are made to a really high standard and if 14ft rods had a big place in my armory I’d chose a trilogy xs over an allerton any day of the week even though im a spliced tip fan.
The action on the trilogy is a lot nicer
I was wondering if this is a powerful rod when I saw the casting weight is 15g, that’s normally 8-10lb line rating from my experience? I did consider the trilogy rods, but again, I can’t find a local dealer to try.

Huanzhou, if you can live with what you have for the time being, you would be better keeping your powder dry and waiting for a Browning Sphere to come up.
My 13ft rod is an old JW Young trotter, nice action, but at 240g it really is a pain to use so I am thinking upgrading.
Sphere is one I really want, really regret not buying one when they available, didn’t like the handle at that time, but after trying one, I know it’s the rod I want but hard to find one now.

Keep a close eye on eBay. I just got a 13' Daiwa Spectron M2 Spliced Tip for £82 as a spare in case something happens to my Sphere. It's not the same and probably not as good, but better than shelling out mega bucks.

I was wondering if this is a powerful rod when I saw the casting weight is 15g, that’s normally 8-10lb line rating from my experience?

Shimano are a manufacturer that consistently uses casting weight ratings for their rods A 15g casting weight is given to the vast majority of Shimano FA (Fast Action) Match rods. However, Shimano tend not to give line ratings. I'd suggest an upper limit of around 6lb line, with a lower BS hooklink.

Personally, I don't take casting weight and line ratings of float rods entirely seriously. I suspect more than the odd brand just plucks them out of thin air. Browning gave casting weights for the Sphere float rods (match and spliced tip riiver). All four were given an upper limit of 30g. There's no way I'd belt out a big 30g float (or a 1oz lead) with mine. I'm sure they'd cope with a gentle lob though. Then you've got Daiwa giving rods line ratings of 2-8lb. I've yet to see any rod that could genuinely handle 2lb and 8lb line equally well.

I was wondering if this is a powerful rod when I saw the casting weight is 15g, that’s normally 8-10lb line rating from my experience? I did consider the trilogy rods, but again, I can’t find a local dealer to try.

casting weights I pay no attention to what so ever and they would only (at least in this country) be even remotely thought about when it comes to using a plummet on very slow or still waters
I don’t know where they get those figures from.

Line ratings are useful as a guide. It gives you some idea of what the rod is both intended for and what it will roughly deal with before you get into the car and take a completely wasted journey to look at it. I wish every manufacturer of float rod would do this with a brief description of the rod’s action. Eg medium-fast 3-5lb main 4lb HL. Done!
Tells me enough now I can decide if i want to pick it up.

Weight figures are equally useless from my experience. A 180g rod can be identical to a 150g rod in every way but have a different design handle and until you pick them up you’ll have no idea which feels best for you. If manufacturers were to give section weights ……. Now we are talking and again that is information that could be used blind to gather an idea of what a rod might be like before holding it. Unfortunately i doubt we’d ever get there and I’m rambling a bit now with “what if”
Sphere river rods are lovely rods and for their power brackets, they kick the pants out of anything currently made today. I can only suspect the reason for their quick demise would be price as they were extremely expensive and the handle which got so much bad press mostly by people that had never even touched one.
My thoughts are if they had, probably more would of sold as it’s surprisingly comfortable despite being a little long and perhaps a little light

I’ve had 0.23 (8lb roughly) snapped through the curve of the free spirit.
The physics do change somewhat when something is bolting at speed rather than trying to break it on a dead weight as such.

Apples and oranges. Even if the new Hi-S isn't quite as powerful as many would have liked, it's still more powerful than any of the "match" rods that I was talking about.

Shimano are a manufacturer that consistently uses casting weight ratings for their rods A 15g casting weight is given to the vast majority of Shimano FA (Fast Action) Match rods. However, Shimano tend not to give line ratings. I'd suggest an upper limit of around 6lb line, with a lower BS hooklink.

Personally, I don't take casting weight and line ratings of float rods entirely seriously. I suspect more than the odd brand just plucks them out of thin air. Browning gave casting weights for the Sphere float rods (match and spliced tip riiver). All four were given an upper limit of 30g. There's no way I'd belt out a big 30g float (or a 1oz lead) with mine. I'm sure they'd cope with a gentle lob though. Then you've got Daiwa giving rods line ratings of 2-8lb. I've yet to see any rod that could genuinely handle 2lb and 8lb line equally well.
Just read your post properly ignore my reply mate. Yes you are bang on the 2-8 range is impossible to cover

I've never used the spliced model, but I have had and used the waggler model for a number of years now.
Since I only use a centrepin reel on the rod, and the screw up seat only having a short bit of exposed thread showing I have no problem with it, infact i've grown to like it.
The rod is definately not the fastest of actioned rods but it's fast enough. It feels very light in the hand and for me, it feels very comfortable to hold for a days trotting.

I have handled the spliced models, one in a shop and the other elsewhere and I wasn't overly keen on them at all.

I've never used the spliced model, but I have had and used the waggler model for a number of years now.
Since I only use a centrepin reel on the rod, and the screw up seat only having a short bit of exposed thread showing I have no problem with it, infact i've grown to like it.
The rod is definately not the fastest of actioned rods but it's fast enough. It feels very light in the hand and for me, it feels very comfortable to hold for a days trotting.

I have handled the spliced models, one in a shop and the other elsewhere and I wasn't overly keen on them at all.
Do you mean the Tri-Cast rods Ian? I was under the impression you had the Sphere Spliced Tip rod?!!

Keep a close eye on eBay. I just got a 13' Daiwa Spectron M2 Spliced Tip for £82 as a spare in case something happens to my Sphere. It's not the same and probably not as good, but better than shelling out mega bucks.
Still a very nice rod, and at a good price

Yes, all these numbers is just an idea of what the rod can do, but doesn't tell you how it actually performs, thats why I always want to try a float rod first.

Back