• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Too Good to be true

It simply just boils down to good old cash. The Chinese are more than capable of producing stuff to a standard that matches any other countries in the world. Pay em for a good product and you’ll definitely get it! Labour costs are so cheap out there so manufacturers are utilizing that to make more profit. The difference is we associate China manufacturing with this other world they are deeply involved with which is copying existing quality products for a tenth of the cost and it’s often an obvious backfire.
we are the stupid ones really because we buy such products with the mind set that they are going to be as good as the original and well...... that logically can’t be the case. It’s absolutely nothing to do with the fact it has “made in China” stamped on the label and everything to do with the fact it cost 15p to buy rather than £15 (which in a lot of cases the original was probably still made in China anyway)

Very true, although included in the £15 would be r&d and marketing, sales and distribution costs.

no i’m comparing human rights records....so what your saying is it’s ok because it’s oil
Not at all, for most avoiding oil was something forced on them by needing to put food on the table or a roof over their head! It may be that way for some time to come but the untold wealth generated by being oil rich and believing that gives you the right to treat anyone how you wish will soon be dwindling and that I hope will cause some reflection!

Last edited:
Still using Eheim pumps and filters made in West Germany from the 80s on my Tanks and haven't given up yet.Bought a cheap chinese made Hailea 4 way air pump that's surprisingly as good as the day I put it into service after five years.

I have some 20 year old Ehiem’s as well. Unfortunately Eheim don’t make a product that will do what I want really.

Some of these copies are very good, and you need a trained eye to spot the differences. Of course we all like to think we are astute in our purchases, but I am not at all convinced that the German or UK product is just the same as the hugely cheaper Chinese item. It's what they do, and are very clever at it.
Oh these are the same items rebranded they don’t even try to deny it.
There was a series with Gok Wan some years ago where he visited some of these factories. One of the factories was making lady’s clothes for three different companies, it was A&F, M&S and George from memory. The same employees in the same building making brands with significant price differences, accordingly with different material qualities.

Last edited:
Back