• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Too Good to be true

I've been asked by a member for this so here it is for everybody.
I've tested the hooks and the first test with using my fingernail soon discovered, as suspected, they're ablolute crud.
Not a major problem because I can only use one hook anyway. Now I need to decide on single, double or treble.
Probably Owner.

I've been asked by a member for this so here it is for everybody.
I've tested the hooks and the first test with using my fingernail soon discovered, as suspected, they're ablolute crud.
Not a major problem because I can only use one hook anyway. Now I need to decide on single, double or treble.
Probably Owner.
And yet in the description the hooks are described as strong wire material. You as an experienced angler identified in you words they were crud, many would not and the damage these hooks could cause is obvious, to both angler and fish. I get the fact they are cheap as chips, but this is a case of you really get what you pay for.

One of the first things this forum showed me was that I could have good gear without breaking the bank. I have purchased several rods and reels from members and always been delighted with the quality. Yes, I could buy off ebay, but you can never be sure what you are getting till it arrives. Forum members are genuine anglers, they describe their gear accurately and ask a realistic price. I just wish my better half didn't inspect the bank statement so closely.😁
I was going to post similar, have bought some gtreat gear off here, at good prices.

I wouldn’t trust them lures not to fall apart or smash with pressure applied playing a decent fish.
the shipping will of probably being £5 so theyve literally been made for pence.

China doesn’t just manufacture cheap crap.
A lot of people think if it came out of China it’s rubbish.
The difference is you can buy ANY quality level you want from China. My friend has an AC/DC Tig welder which he bought for 200 quid new. It’s total crap in every sense of the word and usually a decent one should be £2k plus
On the other side of the coin the Chinese also build a lot of the internal parts and boards for some of the most highest quality sophisticated welders out there too.
my motorbike leathers are Alpinestars. Imo best of the best ........ guess where they are made.
China have obtained a rep for producing crap because people buy their lowest quality products on offer for about 11p
find they fail immediately and then complain 🤷🏻 There’s nothing wrong with buying cheap if the product isn’t depended on to either last, do a crucial thing, be a high tolerance etc. I have no problem with it. My loyalty to certain brands does not come from the country it was made in. It comes from the product performance only. I’m sat here now typing this out on an iPhone........popular high quality product...... wonder who slaps all the bits together 😀

I wouldn’t trust them lures not to fall apart or smash with pressure applied playing a decent fish.

The difference is you can buy ANY quality level you want from China. My friend has an AC/DC Tig welder which he bought for 200 quid new. It’s total crap in every sense of the word and usually a decent one should be £2k plus
On the other side of the coin the Chinese also build a lot of the internal parts and boards for some of the most highest quality sophisticated welders out there too.
my motorbike leathers are Alpinestars. Imo best of the best ........ guess where they are made.
China have obtained a rep for producing crap because people buy their lowest quality products on offer for about 11p
find they fail immediately and then complain 🤷🏻 There’s nothing wrong with buying cheap if the product isn’t depended on to either last, do a crucial thing, be a high tolerance etc. I have no problem with it. My loyalty to certain brands does not come from the country it was made in. It comes from the product performance only. I’m sat here now typing this out on an iPhone........popular high quality product...... wonder who slaps all the bits together 😀
It even says on the back of the iPhone made in China 🤣🤣🤣

Depends on what product and materials are sourced, I know from my dealings with them they will go off spec to drive down costs, of course they do that's a given. But nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturing just as long you have a representative over there checking quality from start to finish, if you are a branded company, like your leathers.

Depends on what product and materials are sourced, I know from my dealings with them they will go off spec to drive down costs, of course they do that's a given. But nothing wrong with Chinese manufacturing just as long you have a representative over there checking quality from start to finish, if you are a branded company, like your leathers.
It simply just boils down to good old cash. The Chinese are more than capable of producing stuff to a standard that matches any other countries in the world. Pay em for a good product and you’ll definitely get it! Labour costs are so cheap out there so manufacturers are utilizing that to make more profit. The difference is we associate China manufacturing with this other world they are deeply involved with which is copying existing quality products for a tenth of the cost and it’s often an obvious backfire.
we are the stupid ones really because we buy such products with the mind set that they are going to be as good as the original and well...... that logically can’t be the case. It’s absolutely nothing to do with the fact it has “made in China” stamped on the label and everything to do with the fact it cost 15p to buy rather than £15 (which in a lot of cases the original was probably still made in China anyway)

As an example. A pump for my aquarium;
Tunze (German brand) £140
TMC (British brand) £80
Jebao (Chinese brand) £45
The problem here is not necessarily that the German one is probably built in China anyway it’s that the British one is a reboxed version of the Chinese one, to the point that it still bears the Chinese manufacturers name on the motor plate (Jebao) this combined with the fact that the customer service is a as good (bad English aside) maybe better, irrespective of the fact I didn’t buy it from the U.K. based brand means I won’t be giving that company my money.

I brought a performance radiator for my car, from a U.K. company it failed after a couple of years, I umm’d and arr’d about using the same brand and money was short so brought a “Chinese version” was about half the price. It turned up packing and all branded as the one I brought last time, in fact the welds (where it failed) looked better on this one that the previous one. There’s a lot of this going on.

Last edited:
Some of these copies are very good, and you need a trained eye to spot the differences. Of course we all like to think we are astute in our purchases, but I am not at all convinced that the German or UK product is just the same as the hugely cheaper Chinese item. It's what they do, and are very clever at it.

As an example. A pump for my aquarium;
Tunze (German brand) £140
TMC (British brand) £80
Jebao (Chinese brand) £45
Still using Eheim pumps and filters made in West Germany from the 80s on my Tanks and haven't given up yet.Bought a cheap chinese made Hailea 4 way air pump that's surprisingly as good as the day I put it into service after five years.

Does anyone consider that individual country's human rights abuses ought to factor in to where people buy their goods from?

Does anyone consider that individual country's human rights abuses ought to factor in to where people buy their goods from?
Very much so, I am not a fan of the Chinese regime at all, their human rights record is abysmal and rather them improving on this it us in fact getting worse.

I guess maybe one in twenty think twice about buying Chinese, and maybe one in ten of those that do think twice about it actually do something about it. That is ...maybe 0.5% see it as an ethical question, and act accordingly. IMO ..most people don't care, so it's not an issue they consider.

Very much so, I am not a fan of the Chinese regime at all, their human rights record is abysmal and rather them improving on this it us in fact getting worse.
It seems this way to me also Neil. Their growing economic might seems only to be the correlator to this increasingly aggressive behaviour - as it has grown, so has their will in believing they can do anything they like.
It may be that the horse has bolted on this, but I would rather think I backed up my idea of what I thought the world ought to look like with some action!

so what should we do about oil
You are comparing our need for fossil fuels to our need to buy Chinese made goods?
The time is up on fossil fuels I think, but we needed industry to realise.

Back