• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Too Good to be true

Hi men ,

I have been following the thread , obviously , and there is a fine line where comments become insults , and perceived insults require a retort . It's ok to disagree , that's what out site is for , or it would get boring 😁. Try to read things you have typed before pushing the post button 👍.

Hatter

Do we need or want this type of thread, isn't that what Facebook is for - no moderation on there!

I enjoy this site for fishing. I value & appreciate all the advice & knowledge that others are generous enough to share. I couldn't give a **** what peoples views are other than around fishing but respect that people have different opinions.

Now more than ever is a time to cherish the things that bind us not divide?

Do we need or want this type of thread, isn't that what Facebook is for - no moderation on there!
No we don't need, nor want, and the team will step in at any appropriate moment. Better still members should do what Mark asks - read what you have written before you hit the post button.

But what I will say is that one doesn't have to.read any thread - simply exercise your power of choice :)

I enjoy this site for fishing. I value & appreciate all the advice & knowledge that others are generous enough to share. I couldn't give a **** what peoples views are other than around fishing but respect that people have different opinions.

Now more than ever is a time to cherish the things that bind us not divide?
I for one wouldn't dream of discussing such issues on Facebook, mainly because there isn't moderation. I think for the first time ever I disagree with @Paul Whiteing on an issue. That is, on not wanting or needing such discussion on BFW. But I agree completely with his 'you don't have to read any thread' statement. If people are so sensitive, to easily offended by diversity of opinion, then don't peruse the thread. Just don't click on it! But if members do wish to discuss the topic, in a civilised manner, then I'd say that's what BFW is all about.
As anglers we're purchasers of millions of pounds worth of tackle every year. Yes I can fully understand anglers going for what ever is 'cheapest', but I think raising an awareness of what the actual (long term) 'cost' is not a bad thing.
I think stifling reasoned discussion is not what BFW is about.

There are some great shops out there but some retailers really aren’t doing themselves a favour. When the choice in the shop is something you don’t want or rebranded tat for many times the cost elsewhere it’s unsurprising that customers go elsewhere.

Opinions are one thing and I'm sure most people enjoy discussions and a bit of banter.

Shoving your opinion down someone's throat is not discussion and it doesn't make it a fact however convinced you may be that you're right, it's an opinion and perhaps certain people need to be reminded of that.

it most certainly doesn’t belong in a barbel fishing forum in my opinion.
It’s inevitable topics involving politics are always going to get messy and leave a bitter taste between people. It’s just not worth the grief.

Topics involving anything can get messy, it's getting on with it afterwards that maketh the man!
If it matters to fishing then why not discuss it on here!?

Has anyone actually complained about being "abused"? Has anyone got upset or felt hurt by comments on here? Has anyone truly felt offended?
Yes, stop any personal abuse, but stopping discussions within threads? We're adults (well, most of us are), and to me this all seems a bit parochial, especially seeing as it's BF World.
N.b.. I've no interest whatsoever in football. So I don't click on the 'Friendly football banter' thread. That works for me.

Further to yesterday's post, the replacement boxes indeed did arrive today. I set about putting the Vision 110/ Rapala type lures in them which is the first time I've really had them out of the cellophane and had a close look at them. Exceptional quality, great colours and translucency, even the hooks seem good, I was fully expecting to have to change them all.
Considering Genuine Vision 110s cost around £18 each I think getting 10 delivered from China, through Ebay, for a Fiver is pretty much a bargain.
That's £5 for all 10 supplied and delivered.
Makes for much cheaper Tree God offerings.
They were recommended by a few very experienced Salmon anglers.
Incidentally what looks like an inferior version of my $60 wading jacket is on the Ali Express Maxcatch website for £150 with far less pockets etc.
Has also been on eBay for £150.
Further to yesterday's post, the replacement boxes indeed did arrive today. I set about putting the Vision 110/ Rapala type lures in them which is the first time I've really had them out of the cellophane and had a close look at them. Exceptional quality, great colours and translucency, even the hooks seem good, I was fully expecting to have to change them all.
Considering Genuine Vision 110s cost around £18 each I think getting 10 delivered from China, through Ebay, for a Fiver is pretty much a bargain.
That's £5 for all 10 supplied and delivered.
Makes for much cheaper Tree God offerings.
They were recommended by a few very experienced Salmon anglers.
Incidentally what looks like an inferior version of my $60 wading jacket is on the Ali Express Maxcatch website for £150 with far less pockets etc.
Has also been on eBay for £150.
Hi Paul, would you have a link please for the lure? PM if you like

The only advantage with sites like this and some of the stuff on ebay etc. It can only help the sport/hobby/pastime of fishing in general. As it makes it more affordable to more people to start up. Like with most things when they get more involved in fiahing they will realise that the need or want better longer lasting equipment tackle.

I was extremely lucky that when I got back into fishing in September last year that I had a mate who had an abundance of fishing gear that he gave me. 2 of the rods are harrison barbel rods which appear to be worth more than I would pay for a pair of rods. Potentially if I hadn't been gifted loads of stuff I probably needed up with some Chinese imports to start with.

The only advantage with sites like this and some of the stuff on ebay etc. It can only help the sport/hobby/pastime of fishing in general. As it makes it more affordable to more people to start up. Like with most things when they get more involved in fiahing they will realise that the need or want better longer lasting equipment tackle.

I was extremely lucky that when I got back into fishing in September last year that I had a mate who had an abundance of fishing gear that he gave me. 2 of the rods are harrison barbel rods which appear to be worth more than I would pay for a pair of rods. Potentially if I hadn't been gifted loads of stuff I probably needed up with some Chinese imports to start with.
I’d look after that mate Mark if he gifts you Harrison rods, hasn’t got a Landrover or the like he doesn’t use ? 🤣

🤣🤣🤣🤣🤣. He is also constantly getting bombarded with whats app messages with questions. He hasn't got the arse yet. Plus he has got me on his trip to the trent for 3 days in September
Take a spare cup with you Mark, I think he’s earned a brew 👍😀

One of the first things this forum showed me was that I could have good gear without breaking the bank. I have purchased several rods and reels from members and always been delighted with the quality. Yes, I could buy off ebay, but you can never be sure what you are getting till it arrives. Forum members are genuine anglers, they describe their gear accurately and ask a realistic price. I just wish my better half didn't inspect the bank statement so closely.😁

Back