• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Too Good to be true

If it looks too good to be true .......

Just had a good look around using its search facility, it has some Korum Items, and some other things available from UK tackle shops ,I put in “ unhooking mats” and it brought up I think about ten pages, lots of the items were repeated , but generally as said , lots of Chinese bits and pieces.

Dave

Hi men ,

I have in the past highlighted the website Wish , cheap Chinese stuff . I have since deleted it , and although lots of stuff we order and buy is Chinese made , at least getting it through a British supplier the money goes into our economy , even only a small amount .

Hatter

I have ordered hundreds, if not thousands of items from China. Mainly L.E.D. hackney cab bulbs. In the past few years, they've normally taken 3 - 4 weeks to arrive. But the last 12 - 18 months, they've arrived in days. It seems they have set up distribution centres in the UK. Loads of tat as said above, but some quality cheap items also. I fitted a set of L.E.D. headlight bulbs from China, in my cab, over 3 and a half years ago, and there still as good as new, far superior to a normal halogen headlight bulb. Sometimes, don't look a gift horse in the mouth.

Buying from China, scruples notwithstanding, I've bought quite a bit of Chinese tackle the last few years. Maxcatch for mostly game tackle, best done through eBay. Extraordinary difference in price and everything I've bought so far has been very good or extraordinary quality. Reels,rods,flylines boxes etc. Recently got a flyline for £15 Which is exactly the same dimensions, weights, etc. as a premium product from an established high end 'manufacturer' and is even sold under the exact same description. Exactly the same drawing. Exactly the same weights, exactly the same dimensions, exactly the same unique colour shooting line. Maxcatch do manufacture flylines for other retailers.
Maxcatch £15, *** £90.
Not handled the more expensive offering but the cheaper one feels like a quality line to me and I've been flyfishing for well over 40yrs.
What I would consider the best finished rod I own came from them for £140. The same spec on a Hardy/Guideline etc. , Nanotech blank, would be between 7 hundred and
A thousand pounds !!! If this rod was £2000 no one could complain about the Quality or finish of any part of it including the cork, the rings the fittings and the blank.
I could go on.
Had a look at that site above, no thanks. Tested out a bait box about a fiver,
Delivery £20, difficult to establish delivery
timing.
Been using Ali express lately, bought a wading jacket for $60 . Amazon had the same jacket for £115. Did have a 3 week rest in UK customs but the tracking information was excellent.. Did cop £7 duty and £8 Royal mail handling though. Absolutely brilliant quality and features. Yet to see how waterproof it is.
Couple of lure boxes since., £3 each fantastic quality but a little bit small for their intended purpose. No delay with thith these, arrived in a couple of weeks.
Larger replacements are also now languishing in UK customs for a few weeks. I'm confident they'll be here soonish.
Other items have sailed through. Usually delivery times are 2 - 4 weeks.
Have had no customs holdups with
Maxcatch/ EBay at all.
Check out Ali express. It's reputable, cheap, selling quality gear with loads of low value tems most with free delivery. Give it a try.

Ditto found the same with large size fixed spool reels for beach-casting , destroyed a good tronix pro within a year ,other much cheaper chinese stuff still going strong,and if it does knacker in still cheap to replace ,and with loads of bearings large long cast spools slow oscillating lay line on some and a very similar shape to some much more expensive branded gear that will be made in china anyway ,shopping around instead of being a main brand tackle tart can be useful.

Further to yesterday's post, the replacement boxes indeed did arrive today. I set about putting the Vision 110/ Rapala type lures in them which is the first time I've really had them out of the cellophane and had a close look at them. Exceptional quality, great colours and translucency, even the hooks seem good, I was fully expecting to have to change them all.
Considering Genuine Vision 110s cost around £18 each I think getting 10 delivered from China, through Ebay, for a Fiver is pretty much a bargain.
That's £5 for all 10 supplied and delivered.
Makes for much cheaper Tree God offerings.
They were recommended by a few very experienced Salmon anglers.
Incidentally what looks like an inferior version of my $60 wading jacket is on the Ali Express Maxcatch website for £150 with far less pockets etc.
Has also been on eBay for £150.

There we have it Paul, you said it scruples not withstanding. Bad enough for UK retailers especially the High Street, let alone on line sales. Are we to just stand by and let China dictate to the World how we live...and die?

I know we cannot avoid this Chinese war on our services per se they fill the retail sector with cheap poor quality rip offs, but we can take time to not trade in this manner.

The irony is you use these items for Salmon fishing, just about the most elitist and pure British pursuits that even if the most of us cannot afford to partake in or have no desire, either way it is much regarded as a traditional British sport not a cheap Chinese shoddy sh1t show.

Last edited:
There we have it Paul, you said it scruples not withstanding. Bad enough for UK retailers especially the High Street, let alone on line sales. Are we to just stand by and let China dictate to the World how we live...and die?

I know we cannot avoid this Chinese war on our services per se they fill the retail sector with cheap poor quality rip offs, but we can take time to not trade in this manner.

The irony is you use these items for Salmon fishing, just about the most elitist and pure British pursuits that even if the most of us cannot afford to partake in or have no desire, either way it is much regarded as a traditional British sport not a cheap Chinese shoddy sh1t show.

Bloody Hell Neil, do you want to borrow my £5.99 step ladder to get off your high horse. Bit over the top that fella, just cos you and i can't afford it, no need to slag other members off.

Elitest! I fish the Avon for £100 for 12 months and later this year I'll be on the best Salmon River in England and the best Sea Trout river too for £45 for the year as I'm a pensioner. Otherwise it's £70.
90% of my Salmon, including the one in my profile picture, were taken from free fishing water.
Doesn't sound very elitest to me.

So you saved a bomb..good for you, plenty of spare cash to support the UK economy then? Thing is we are sleep walking into wrecking our own economy, jobs, etc by supporting this regime, they demands every company must either spy on the West, or commit industrial espionage. About time we stopped playing footsie with them and backed ourselves, that's all.

Bloody Hell Neil, do you want to borrow my £5.99 step ladder to get off your high horse. Bit over the top that fella, just cos you and i can't afford it, no need to slag other members off.
Actually not slagging off any member, just highlighting the huge problem we have with China, you assume I can't afford to fish for Salmon so I have other motives, wrong Derek.

Back