• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Predation Action Group

Hi men,

Don't need to see an elephant in a room , your nose will tell you , they smell of **** :D .

Back on subject anyway , how many of us are members of the Angling Trust ?, I let my membership go for a year as it seemed to be losing its way , top heavy , but renewed again .

Hatter

Over to you, Nellie (did she know something in the early 1950s about the future state of Angling and its Warrior Caste Anglers, I wonder? I believe she did).

Mandy Miller - Nellie the Elephant (Unedited) - YouTube

Not sure why there's an elephant in the room but has anyone else noticed the UFO about to land?
The UFO is releasing otters, it's all part of the CIA plan for world domination a bloke down the pub told me, so it must be true.

Yes, but Lizards who continue to stock otters in their improbable millions and who eat carp and barbel for a laugh ... ah ha ha ha...

Ye , but no , but ye , ! Oh I just don't know anymore , my brain hurts !

Yes but who is the Lizard King , tell me that grasshopper .....

I believe it was the Pellet Heads who had them first, Mike. Ruined long before by all the numbered bivvie pitches, shop, bar and eight-lane motorway to the fishery, anyway. Poor Fisher King...

Hi men ,

Thought that nellie the elephant packed her trunk and said goodbye to the circus :confused: , :D .

Back on subject again - has anyone thought perhaps the group should re-name itself ? , perhaps gives off the wrong impresion to begin with , to more of a conservation type of group? .

Hatter

Last edited:
Even if royal patronage could be obtained the '' Royal Society for the Protection of Fish '' doesn't really sound that convincing and certainly doesn't have the cache of the RSPB . The natural umbrella could be seen to be the Countryside Alliance [ not by me I hasten to add] , after all Angling is a field sport or country pursuit . Perhaps the CA are a little too politically ''in your face'' though . Maybe something like an organisation that allies our love of the countryside , with our concern for riverine and other watery environments , can't think of a name off hand . The trouble is in the perception of many , and it is the support of the many that will be needed ,we are people that inflict pain on fish . The plain fact is angling is very hard to sell to people who may not have an understanding of the sport; and why we are so concerned about Otters , crays , cormorant , mitten crabs , abstraction , as well as the fish ,the same fish which we enjoy hunting ,dragging out of there natural enjoyment , perhaps taking a picture of them if they are lucky , or sticking them in a keepnet or sack if less lucky , then popping them back in the water again .Angling and it's sentiments are full of awkward contradictions

Last edited:
Hi men,

Agreed , strange then that the British public see shooters as some sort of countryside protectors , and conservationist ?. Yet they breed hundreds of thousands of birds , raise them , then blow them out of the sky for fun ?, not even letting them go after a pic :D. You can't give them away after a shoot !.

So it's possibly a failing on anglings part in years gone by , lack of good PR , not getting our sucsess , and good work in the countryside over , or being seen as guardians of rivers against pollution .

Hatter

Last edited:
Hi men,

Agreed , strange then that the British public see shooters as some sort of countryside protectors , and conservationist ?. Yet they breed hundreds of thousands of birds , raise them , then blow them out of the sky for fun ?, not even letting them go after a pic :D. You can't give them away after a shoot !.

So it's possibly a failing on anglings part in years gone by , not getting our sucsess , and good work in the countryside over , or being seen as guardians of rivers against pollution .

Hatter

Hatter,
being a shooter and angler, I'm less than convinced that shooting is seen that way. I'm quite sure that shooting tries to portray itself that way but a great deal of the public rejects the very idea.

With all else equal and going about either activity in a perfectly legal manner, as an angler, I'd expect to encounter indifference or a vague expectation that they'd just had an encounter with a harmless eccentric. As a shooter, I expect to encounter distinct unease up to outright hostility.

Hatter,
being a shooter and angler, I'm less than convinced that shooting is seen that way. I'm quite sure that shooting tries to portray itself that way but a great deal of the public rejects the very idea.

With all else equal and going about either activity in a perfectly legal manner, as an angler, I'd expect to encounter indifference or a vague expectation that they'd just had an encounter with a harmless eccentric. As a shooter, I expect to encounter distinct unease up to outright hostility.

Spot on, Chris. I was was once a keen shot - marksman certificates won at school and on the Bisley ranges with a rifle and with a .22 Browning after many a rabbit and rough shooting with a shotgun out in the field - and, like you, am aware that whilst BASC and the gamekeeping fraternity are keen to portray shooters as conservationists, the public think otherwise - "You breed all those pheasants, blow them away, then in a lot of cases don't even eat them but burn or bury them...".

Back