• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Only Way To Catch A Barbel?

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this belief that light tackle exhausts barbel to the point of no return. I am certainly no expert, but over the last few weeks I have caught about 8 or 9 barbel ranging from about 4lb to 10lb 5oz on roach tackle i.e. 3.2lb mainline and 2.6lb bottom. In all cases the fish came in in a reasonable time. I would say not a huge amount more than I would expect on standard barbel tackle. Most important of all, all of those fish, without exception, went back fighting fit and recovered almost immediately. I've caught barbel on the generally excepted 'normal tackle' which have taken far longer to recover. I have also seen numerous other barbel caught from more than one location on float gear of this type and again in all cases the fish went back very, very fit having recovered almost immediately.

I think a lot of the arguments against this type of tackle are coming from people who have not actually seen this method in action and the after effects, they are jumping to conclusions. And I'm not saying everyone, just some.

Absolutely right, Nathan - once we become Method Nazis, we are gone.

Well remember my introducing (when absolutely necessary) the tiny fly (18 -26), light line, "Give me a microscope someone, I need to tie a knot" leader tippet tactics (out of America, where waters are clear, the sun shines 24/7 and trout have to be careful) to the Wessex chalkstreams in the early 1980s.

They murdered fish.

I was duly murdered by envious gossipers and incompetents.

Last edited:
Hi men,

My concern over this is that a barbel caught on the float being in some way seen as a better achievement than those caught on other methods . I congratulated Keith not on his obvious float fishing skills , but on some cracking fish, no better looking because they were caught on the float !!!. If we go down that route of deviding catches on the methods they are caught on it will get silly , with some inverted snobbery being involved.

Refreshing yesterday , we stuggled on a stretch with our roving approach , but so did two very accomplished rolling / trotting anglers :rolleyes:, with nothing caught when we left .

Float fishing , good method , but clear water stalking is where it's at for me !, thank god we are all different !.

Hatter

I'm sorry but I have to disagree with this belief that light tackle exhausts barbel to the point of no return. I am certainly no expert, but over the last few weeks I have caught about 8 or 9 barbel ranging from about 4lb to 10lb 5oz on roach tackle i.e. 3.2lb mainline and 2.6lb bottom. In all cases the fish came in in a reasonable time. I would say not a huge amount more than I would expect on standard barbel tackle. Most important of all, all of those fish, without exception, went back fighting fit and recovered almost immediately. I've caught barbel on the generally excepted 'normal tackle' which have taken far longer to recover. I have also seen numerous other barbel caught from more than one location on float gear of this type and again in all cases the fish went back very, very fit having recovered almost immediately.

I think a lot of the arguments against this type of tackle are coming from people who have not actually seen this method in action and the after effects, they are jumping to conclusions. And I'm not saying everyone, just some.

Good man Nathan, absolutely right.

Regards

Hugo

Absolutely right, Nathan - once we become Method Nazis, we are gone.

Well remember my introducing (when absolutely necessary) the tiny fly (18 -26), light line, "Give me a microscope someone, I need to tie a knot" leader tippet tactics (out of America, where waters are clear, the sun shines 24/7 and trout have to be careful) to the Wessex chalkstreams in the early 1980s.

They murdered fish.

I was duly murdered by envious gossipers and incompetents.

Frankly the trend for inadequate light tackle for barbel is bordering on insanity, it might all be well and good to catch a winter barbel on such gear, as even I have done, but a strong summer fish with the fight in him is a much different adversary.

Hi men,

My concern over this is that a barbel caught on the float being in some way seen as a better achievement than those caught on other methods . I congratulated Keith not on his obvious float fishing skills , but on some cracking fish, no better looking because they were caught on the float !!!. If we go down that route of deviding catches on the methods they are caught on it will get silly , with some inverted snobbery being involved.

Refreshing yesterday , we stuggled on a stretch with our roving approach , but so did two very accomplished rolling / trotting anglers :rolleyes:, with nothing caught when we left .

Float fishing , good method , but clear water stalking is where it's at for me !, thank god we are all different !.

Hatter
I agree, what next I wonder will be the 'right' way.

Frankly the trend for inadequate light tackle for barbel is bordering on insanity, it might all be well and good to catch a winter barbel on such gear, as even I have done, but a strong summer fish with the fight in him is a much different adversary.

I am the very first to mercilessly castigate those who fish - whether it be with fly, lure or bait - with ultra-light gear for reasons of glory and / or cash (line-class records...), one-upmanship or just plain affectation, but am also the first to defend perfectly fair methods: in so many cases, it is not they that are foul but the angler employing them.

Very interesting thread to come back to.

I guess one major thing sticks in my mind.

Publicise at your peril. :rolleyes: Otherwise you and others may well find your personal heaven invaded.

Personally I enjoy float fishing for barbel (and other species) most enjoyable. However, I gave it up on very fast heavily weeded rivers once some fish exceeded 10lb and losses and playing times became excessive.

Graham

Very interesting thread to come back to.

I guess one major thing sticks in my mind.

Publicise at your peril. :rolleyes: Otherwise you and others may well find your personal heaven invaded.

Personally I enjoy float fishing for barbel (and other species) most enjoyable. However, I gave it up on very fast heavily weeded rivers once some fish exceeded 10lb and losses and playing times became excessive.

Graham

I too love to trot a float, but it seems now that even if the barbel is not the intended quarry he might just be tempted:)

Many Barbel died years ago when matchmen were targeting Barbel on the Severn using light tackle, it was a common accurance for Barbel to go belly up in their keepnets from sheer exhaustion after being played for too long on light tackle..I know this to be true because it happened to me when i used to fish contests on the severn aswell as other anglers..All that said and done its down to the individual what method they see fit to use, but personally i really cant see the need for using too light gear if targetting Barbel, theres that much tackle advancements now that means you can use heavier tackle whilst not affecting presentation..Im sorry but targetting Barbel using light gear is totally unessersary, pointless and just plain stupid..:eek:

Barbel have been caught on light float tackle for years by those who know how, Jack Harrigan was catching barbel from the royalty years ago using light line and float tactics, this spawned a whole copy cat following who even went to the extent of smoking the same cigars!! the problem does not lie with the method but rather by it being used by people who have little or no experience of light line float fishing, unfortunately many anglers today serve little or no "apprenticeship" going straight on to big fish tactics with some success using quite heavy tackle, when it comes to a bit of finesse however they can be lacking, and whilst not preaching to anybody,this comes from the buying success mentality wherebye anything you need is readilly available and little or no knowledge is needed. As long as the tackle is well balanced there is nothing wrong in using light tackle for barbel, the fight will not always be protracted just because you have a light hook length on, i have seen carp of 26lb caught on 1.7 bottoms and plenty of large barbel caught whilst float fishing, we all need to take a step back and stop having a go at people using a method not everybody can master.:D:D

In my own opinion you wouldent target Pike using 5lb line would you?.Or go after Carp using 3lb line?..As i have said there is no right or wrong but surely if your a competent angler then common sense should prevail when you are targetting bigger fish..I wouldent dream of telling someone what to do but my own opinion regarding targetting big fish using light gear is that its totally unessersary and just plain stupid..Many clubs have introduced rules stating whats accepted as the minimal breaking strain that is allowed where barbel are present and i for one think thats a very good idea..

ways to catch a barbel

Barbel have been caught on light float tackle for years by those who know how, Jack Harrigan was catching barbel from the royalty years ago using light line and float tactics, this spawned a whole copy cat following who even went to the extent of smoking the same cigars!! the problem does not lie with the method but rather by it being used by people who have little or no experience of light line float fishing, unfortunately many anglers today serve little or no "apprenticeship" going straight on to big fish tactics with some success using quite heavy tackle, when it comes to a bit of finesse however they can be lacking, and whilst not preaching to anybody,this comes from the buying success mentality wherebye anything you need is readilly available and little or no knowledge is needed. As long as the tackle is well balanced there is nothing wrong in using light tackle for barbel, the fight will not always be protracted just because you have a light hook length on, i have seen carp of 26lb caught on 1.7 bottoms and plenty of large barbel caught whilst float fishing, we all need to take a step back and stop having a go at people using a method not everybody can master.:D:D

barry, i do not think anyone is questioning the effectiveness of fishing with light tackle, the first thing a match angler will normally do is to scale down tackle if their not getting bites. the point of my earlier post is that the welfare of the barbel must be paramount, or any fish for that matter. i simply cannot believe that a barbel can be landed nearly as quickly on these tactics as was stated by an earlier poster. i have seen many large fish caught mainly by accident on light gear, and it .always seems to take an eternity to get them in. i hooked a 25lb carp last year on 4lb line whilst feeder fishing for bream. i managed to land it but it took an eternity and when i landed it, it was totally and absolutely knackered, and in over 40 years of carp fishing i thought i was going to have my first carp die on me. sureley it is our responsibility not to take chances. again as i put in my first post, barbel are not the most educated fish and with a moving bait as in trotting they dont have time to inspect your rig, so why go so light

I have to agree with you there Terry, i put my fishes welfare first and foremost and after what i have seen with my own eyes i will stick with what ever gear i feel is adequate for the job and that is generally erred on the heavy side. Last season i fished the float on the Tidat Trent, my first time for 6 years. I used 8lb mainline and a 6lb bottom. When i hooked into my first barbel it ripped off about 20 yds of line on its first run, after reeling it back upstream about 30 yds, and subsequent runs i felt the need to go straight through to 8lb.
It didnt alter the end result at all, they still kept coming. Either they dont fight as good as a Trent barbel, the smaller surroundings, or lack of flow play a significant part in the whats and where fores of using light lines, i really dont know, but as most float anglers know a barbel finds it very hard to resist a bunch of maggots drifting past its nose.

I have been away for a short fishing break and come back to find that I have caused much controversy, I did not intend this at all, but it seems that I have a knack for causing it!

I have read all the posts and I am truly sorry to have caused so much grief, I was never keen to publicise my catches in the papers, but was convinced that it was the thing to do, perhaps I should have realised that such publicity is a double edged sword, the first edge dulls quickly whereas the other side remains sharp forever!

I suspect that most, if not all, of the posters on this thread have so much in common that had they met before this kicked off, they would “get on†fairly well, after all, aside from:- health, wealth and family we ALL have very similar interests and pursuits, we may do it differently, but the end game is the same for all.

Much has been said about the pro’s and con’s of fishing the float but I can state that given the conditions on the river that I have fished, the tackle and tactics that I have used mean that I have been fortunate enough to get a few fish, not all the time (I blank like everyone else) but this winter has been a particularly good one for me, using a method that I have used for years, it is not the “be all and end all†of tactics and I certainly would not use it every where and at the end of the day surely it is a matter of the anglers own choice, after all we all like to do what we like to do!

In the summer when there is more weed I might still fish the float, but I would use tackle appropriate to the swim, I probably would not use 20-30lb braid as I have seen some use as I don’t think it appropriate, but I have often used 10lb hook length or heavier in swims that I feel need such lines and of course I use rods that match the line strength when necessary, as I have stated on other threads, balanced tackle is the key, I would not consider using tackle as light as I have used of late in a swim where I could not be sure of landing the fish in a safe and responsible way.
As for fish handling once caught, that almost never changes, the fish stays in the landing net for a considerable length of time having never left the water, I could not hold my breath for any amount of time having run a hundred yards and I would not expect the fish to, if that means they are a bit lively for weighing and photo’s then that is something I put up with, time is irrelevant once I have caught a Barbel, the fish gets as much as is needed for the safety of the fish, my dad taught me that 40 years ago, it was one of many “life lessons†that he gave me and I am too old a dog to change now!

Another was “gentlemanly conduct†if I arrive to find an angler either up or downstream of the swim I want to fish I nearly always approach them and ask if it is all right to fish in the swim I have chosen and I would never “trot past†a downstream angler, for me this is unacceptable in every way.

The angler on the day Simon speaks of may or may not have trotted past his friend, he did not while I stood and watched him but I was only there for a moment or so when I went for a short walk to ease my back (it starts to ache when I sit and trot for long periods), I did think his float was too light for his chosen swim, I did not mention this as I do not give advice un-bidden (another lesson from the old man).
When trotting you often need a substantial amount of water, I don’t like being restricted and I would not intentionally restrict others either!

As a last point I was quite amused by the comment about sponsorship, I have been sponsored in the past, unless things have changed a very great deal, it is very similar to “publicity†except for the fact that the “double edged sword†is accompanied by a dagger that can be thrust in just below the ribs and I would not be tempted unless accompanied by a casket full of green drinking vouchers and a bevy of dancing girls!!

Tight Lines.

Keith,

Thanks for taking the time to post an illuminating answer. I thought my first post covered many differrent aspects; etiquette, tackle strength and balancing, method "snobbery", the perils of publicity and others all bound in to each other. Not just any one particular aspect.

Some have taken my words as some kind of "challenge" towards you personally, which was never the case. If you felt that way, but have been decent enough not to say it, then I apologise for not making it clearer.

I thought the variety of opinions expressed across the board justified what was quite a reasonable debate. (Including the Sponsorship deal. So, who's it going to be then? :D)

Leaving your post as (hopefully) the last "opinion", here's a link to Mr Speers' BFW article which may enlighten some who haven't so far read it.

https://barbel.co.uk/site/articles/floatfish/floatfish.htm

ways to catch a barbel

i must say that was an excellent post keith, and a great answer to a thread that seems to have got somewhat misunderstood. i think the most relevant point that you say is about using "balanced tackle" and it seems that herin lies the problem with a lot of people who are trying to emulate your catches/tactics. to me they are getting it wrong and not using adequate tackle for the situation. in no way whatsoever do i think anyone was trying to criticise you personally. i admire your skills and catches tremendously. i am i suppose from the "old school" as people like to say, and i adore trotting, which was taught to me by a brilliant old chap on the river bain near coningsby in lincolnshire. i also love centre pins and spend far too much on e bay collecting them!. although roach are my first love, i enjoy my barbelling on the tidal trent, but if anyone fancies doing some trotting on the trent, please, please use sensible tackle, it is unlike most rivers! just read your article keith, superb.

Back