• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Only Way To Catch A Barbel?

Mr King

Can I ask how many 14,15,16,17,and 18 lb barbel you have caught?
I can't remember Keith breaking off of any. And the fight is not protracted.
What are you trying to say?

Mike

I once landed a 12lb pike on a 12oz bottom, whilst roach fishing as a teenager, does that make me an A list angler? er i think not. But i can also admit to breaking on 2 Barbel this season and that makes me human.
Experienced anglers fish to their limits of their tackle, river and quarry in question. If you fish anything less you will be found out eventually.

Problem with your original post Simon is it is too contrived to be taken seriously ,your credibilty is shot , leave the subject alone.

What do you mean, David? You think I made the story up just to hang an argument on?

Read Ian Tester's post Number 13, think again and give us the benefit of your opinion, perhaps?

Some of you may know that this business of fine lines extending the fight generally has become such a problem with the matches on commercials that they've had to decrease the average size of the stock fish to stop the carp from being "worn out". They've moved all the bigger fish out.

No credibility in the argument?

Mr Rocca, that's sub judice and I'm under a gagging order............................................................................................

and in traction. :D

We all have our views and opinions and what is right and a wrong way to fish and all you can hope for is that common sence prevails. Some well known anglers disagree with useing lead core , Fixed bolt rigs . If you fish the Wye stretch at the Red lion Bredwardine you cant use barbed hooks . So do we all stop using barbed hooks .Hopefully we all learn from experience
The problem starts when you start to impose your views and opinions on people :(

Last edited:
Simon why don't you do us all a favour and keep your opinions to yourself, you clearly have an issue with light line fishing as a crime against barbel even though went done in the right conditions it is absolutely fine. Do you see us doing it when the water is the temp high and when the oxygen is low, no we do it when the temp is down and the oxygen levels are up.

You say you have no issue with Keith but then state that using light lines is irresponsible, surely by association you are having a pop at him.

As for your original post i was on the river that day and am pretty sure i know who R is and the guy fishing above him wasn't getting anywhere near his water when i was chatting to him unless R was upstreaming a fair way.

One last thing Simon if you see me on the river feel free not to say hello like all the other proper barbel anglers. We truly feel about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit on there at the minute, FFS its only fishing!.

Thats me done on the subject.

To put the cat among the pigeons as the Phrase goes Paul, I have to partly agree with what Simon says quote "That using light lines is irresponsible". as I have said in part only Paul and you have also quoted "no we do it when the temp is down and the oxygen levels are up" and yes i can also accept that quote also.
My feelings for a reply was after watching a fellow angler fishing fairly lightly this summer and eventually landing a double figure Barbel on the Trent. The Barbel went belly up soon after being landed and even after an hour trying his best to revive the Barbel it sadly died in his hands, it was one of the saddest things i have ever seen on a river bank and the chap was totally inconsolable. I can only put its death down to the prolonged fight it endured, low oxygen level and fishing too lightly.

My feelings for a reply was after watching a fellow angler fishing fairly lightly this summer and eventually landing a double figure Barbel on the Trent. The Barbel went belly up soon after being landed and even after an hour trying his best to revive the Barbel it sadly died in his hands, it was one of the saddest things i have ever seen on a river bank and the chap was totally inconsolable. I can only put its death down to the prolonged fight it endured, low oxygen level and fishing too lightly.

That is truly saddening :(

In my ignorance, I presume the fine lines and tackle are used for the benefit of bait presentation only?? If so forgive my ignorance but things like lines have developed considerably since I last regularly fished and it seems strange to me at leased for need to go very light when such supple lines and braids are available.

Cheers

Adie

Simon why don't you do us all a favour and keep your opinions to yourself, you clearly have an issue with light line fishing as a crime against barbel even though went done in the right conditions it is absolutely fine. Do you see us doing it when the water is the temp high and when the oxygen is low, no we do it when the temp is down and the oxygen levels are up.

You say you have no issue with Keith but then state that using light lines is irresponsible, surely by association you are having a pop at him.

As for your original post i was on the river that day and am pretty sure i know who R is and the guy fishing above him wasn't getting anywhere near his water when i was chatting to him unless R was upstreaming a fair way.

One last thing Simon if you see me on the river feel free not to say hello like all the other proper barbel anglers. We truly feel about as welcome as a fart in a spacesuit on there at the minute, FFS its only fishing!.

Thats me done on the subject.

Paul,

If I'm told some one was running a float through another anglers swim, that's what I'm told and believe. At least one other angler has related the same story and I've experienced it myself (on other rivers).
The balance of evidence therefore falls against you.

IF you were there at this time and place, you could hardly state categorically what happenned unless you were with the angler in question for the whole session.

Don't try and deflect the point by trying to pitch "me against Keith", it's all about the "catch at all costs" culture of people who appear to be struggling to catch barbel by "regular" means on pressured stretches of river. They tend to respond by fishing the "latest" spot that a big fish has been known to come out of and take up the method that's known to have worked. Regardless.

If it was Ray Walton and rolled meat, they'd all being doing that.

It happens everywhere, not just this one example.
And you know it.

Keith knows what he's doing and has spent many years perfecting it. Many of these peple don't and they don't have the requisite experience or skills.

I'm glad you don't lump me in with the "proper" barbel anglers since I fish for many species with equal determination. I also fish for them all with the method that's the most appropriate to the species and is also within my capabilities.

theres no better way of cathing barbel that a float, and it can sort a swim out in 20 minutes if fish are there, plus theres more skill involved in float fishing cause prestation has to be more natural up in the water, not like the lead stuck on botton,, even though i fish the lead, only cause most of the rivers i fish its too deep to wade at the swims i want to fish, so its lead, its what the fish want on the day ?????????

I am sure most people who are members of BFW would put the fish first and use the correct hook length for the intended species!!
As long as you tackle is well balanced then you should stand a chance of landing something you did not intend hooking and taking care of the fish should see it returned to the water nice and safe!
If someone was to run a float or cast into my swim then that would be poor sportsmanship and as a result of maybe doing it more than once would find themselves in a little tangle.

I too have had a 'trotter' poaching my swim within the last couple of weeks. Quite inadeqaute his technique looked too.....along with the size of his net but he was clearly after barbel. Amazing how these 'trotters' suddenly appear in swims that the 'amazing' Keith Speers has succesfully frequented.
IMO, Keith Speers should have done the honorable thing and fallen in after catching his big barbel. And then we should have seen who could play him bankside again with an 18 and 3lb line! (joke - can't find smiley thingy).
The real crux here i believe, lies with the publication of a capture and technique for the reason of hopefully obtaining sponsership. Those that bemoan my comment should realise - a glory hunter or two could be coming your way next season.

Ah, but then who else could work references to a golden fish and a prolific Irish salmon river into a mere one-liner...

Last edited:
Yesterday evening 5ft fluro tail,running lead paste moulded to cork ball ,easy stuff,when all fished top i fished middle alone result 12.3 .I,m rubbish at trotting .;)

The real crux here i believe, lies with the publication of a capture and technique for the reason of hopefully obtaining sponsership. Those that bemoan my comment should realise - a glory hunter or two could be coming your way next season.[/QUOTE]

So you believe Keith's after sponsorship....?

I haven't met Keith, but, from his postings, more than just suspect that, like me, he'd rather a vital part cut off than sell himself.

Simon

Only saying what i saw with my own eyes when i stood with the chap in question he may of gone into Ron's water when i wasn't with him true, but he was fishing a short trot when i was with him.

Whats with the big emphasis on the if in your last post, are you casting aspersions on my character or going the whole hog and calling me a liar.

finally you need no help from me to pitch yourself against Keith, you are doing a fine job or that all on your own.

That truly is my last word on the matter. I will not get involved in a petty discussion with a keyboard warrior like you.

i had this sort of behavour once, i was all day fishing this swin on the severn one of my favourites catching well, most of my fish where chubb, and any barbel caught were release straight away, anyway this bloke walked up towards me , he could cleary see me fishing this peg, no one in front of me for aleast 1/4 mile , and nobody behind me as far as the eye could see
he just decided to fish right infront of me, as you do i said ,d- - - h- - d whats your game, he gave me a load of ****, so i kindly walked out of the water, walked up to him and asked him nicely to f---/off so then as i started to walk out of water he started to give me a load of abuse, so i walked back and slapped him in a nice way, he got message, i certainly would never ever carry on like that, so im not standing for that sort of ****, end of,eddie

ways to catch a barbel

To put the cat among the pigeons as the Phrase goes Paul, I have to partly agree with what Simon says quote "That using light lines is irresponsible". as I have said in part only Paul and you have also quoted "no we do it when the temp is down and the oxygen levels are up" and yes i can also accept that quote also.

it is a very, very long time since i posted on hear although i do have a look most days. this thread has compelled me to say something, as it seems the actual relevant point has only just been mentioned by john. i have fished the tidal trent for over 25 years for carp, barbel, chub and roach. i live very local and walk the banks every week. i have seen it develop as a barbel river from virtually containing no barbel to now becoming one of the very best in the country. surely the most important part of all this discussion should be the welfare of the barbel, it does not matter how experienced you are,very light hooklinks and very small hooks mean you cannot play the fish adequately, and in a reasonable time without it becoming exhausted. this is true of all hard fighting fish, it just does no good for the fish, it is that simple. this problem has also occured on many of the smaller, snaggy chub rivers, with anglers using ridiculously light hooklengths when block end feedering, problem is in the mags they dont tell you how many they lose. i too enjoy trotting for a variety of species, but where barbel are concerned i cannot see the need for such ridiculously light tackle. barbel are hardly the most educated fish and with a moving bait they have not got all day to sit and suss out your rig or tackle. all this to me seems the same as in many forms of angling it is just fish at all costs and no regard to the welfare of the fish

Last edited:
Simon

Whats with the big emphasis on the if in your last post, are you casting aspersions on my character or going the whole hog and calling me a liar.

That truly is my last word on the matter. I will not get involved in a petty discussion with a keyboard warrior like you.

Nothing of the sort, just reaffirming that I'm not going to name the river, or my mates details or anything else on those lines.
So I was keeping your comments in a hypothetical context, if you see what I mean? :)
Sorry if it came over the wrong way.

I've respect for all who've contributed to this thread, whatever their views, it's a shame, as you appear to be a float-fisherman (?), that you don't wish to partake. Not a problem, I respect that too. :cool:

Back