• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Only Way To Catch A Barbel?

Simon King

A mate of mine (we'll call him "R"), a good specimen angler, was on a well-known stretch of barbel river this morning. Settled into one of his favourite swims, he notices after a time that there are a fair few anglers along this stretch. In fact, there were no anglers anywhere else but up this end of the fishery.

Every man-jack of them was float-fishing.

One of them wandered over, looked at R legering and said "Won't catch nothing like that mate, you've got to float-fish if you want to catch the barbel here".

R pulls up his landing net from the water's edge and says, "So this doesn't count then?" exposing a 6lb barbel he's resting before returning.

"Oh, you were just lucky, that's all" says the bloke.

"Funny" R rejoins, "the more I fish, the luckier I get".

"You've got to fish fine with single maggot and have it moving....." says the bloke, "what strength line are you using?"

"10lb, " says R, "and 8 feet of it so the single maggot waves in the flow. It' does the job just as well and I can get it under any hanging branch or raft which you can't".

Needless to say, none of these float lads had caught anything and were regularly sending their floats down through R's swim too. He is not a man you want to P off.

Eventually he packed up and went to a different river for some peace and quiet where he phoned this tale through to me.

Anyhow, the point is this.

There seems to be an alarming trend of barbel anglers who, dare I say it, are seeing posts and pics of captures such as the esteemed Mr Speers, and blindly ape-ing the method without any thought as to whether they are skilled enough to be attempting it either from the point of view of getting the balance of their tackle right, or selecting swims with enough room for manouvre in playing a large fish, or considering the extended amount of time it can take to play a barbel to exhaustion before either landing it or, as I suspect will largely prevail, losing it.

Half a dozen barbules won't be the only thing trailing from their lips in the days, weeks and months ahead.

As the mantra was..................You can only catch on pellet.

Now is..................................You can only catch on a float.

With all due respect to those VERY few anglers capable of performing this feat (and I'm sure even they lose the odd fish, but of course, we don't get to see those pics ;)), am I alone in hearing alarm bells ringing in the background?

It was the same when fishing the Kennet (particularly on the Benyons) in the 1970s, Simon - having to take your forceps to two or three tiny hooks in the lips of seemingly every other barbel that had been lost on the matchfisher's method of choice for barbel then - feedered maggot on 1.7lb B.S.

Half a dozen! strange barbel them. ;)

Must be the cut backs, a dozen is now 8 chaps. :)

Last edited:
I am a newcomer to barbel (not fishing though), and from what i have witnessed/heard of regarding floatfishing/trotting in the last few months goes against many basic angling principals IMO. To purposely fish a swim/stretch that has very large barbel in with just 18 hooks and 3lb line is irresponsible to say the least and unnecessary at best. It is well documented that barbel give much during the fight (which amounts to pulling a little for ages when using inadequate line strength and gnat hooks), and take a while to recover properly.

It is not just the exhaustive playing required that annoys me but the fact that these same people want to trample/crush bankside cover to oblivion or traipse fish along the bank for a better glory shot.

Its nothing new Julian, many have been float fishing for barbel for years, me included.

Many of us learnt how to float fish a river before anything else. We are old obviously.

Some can and know how, some cant and think that barbel fishing and neck ache go hand in hand.

Its nothing new Julian, many have been float fishing for barbel for years, me included.

Many of us learnt how to float fish a river before anything else. We are old obviously.

Some can and know how, some cant and think that barbel fishing and neck ache go hand in hand.
a float on a river for barbel, what!,outrageous...:D

If I recall correctly Mr Rocca the first time I ever met you you were trotting a float down a lovely streamy run on the upper Wye........And catching barbel if memory serves.....on a wooden rod and one of those old hamster wheels no less.:D

Float is good, caught my first barbs many years ago on the method and many more since. Don't let this one become an envy masquerading as concern for the fish jag, now, fellas.

Hi men,

Agree Paul , but as in another thread , just the makings of inverted snobbery where a float caught barbel is somehow being put into a different league because of the method it is being caught on. Any method is a good method .

Hatter

Very much agree, Mark. You ought to hear me, a life-long and very able flyfisher, on the effing idiot newbies who think flyfishing is not only close to godliness, but also a passport to power and a statement of one's effortless superiority. Hear? I bet you can hear the fryingpan fat crackling through your speakers!

Last edited:
Hi men ,

Hatter and Paul in agreement shocker:eek: :D

I can stand , and sort of understand the " antique tackle " stuff , with pins / cane rods etc , and have done that myself . I just hope that we now don't splinter into divisions of methods !. Enjoyable as a float run down a crease is , 100 times better for me is stalking them in gin clear water , where you can really cock up ! . BUT , I still think the bait and wait hemp/ caster method is very skillfull , and those on the Trent using 15 ft rods , giant feeders / method have their own place. I know someone who caught a very big fish this season on a small southern river , bivvied up , 2 rods , buzzers , no less skillfull in it's own way !.

Hatter

I fish the stretch of river regularly that Simon is talking about and couldn't agree with his comments more. Apart from the two Keith's, Mick, Wardy and one or two others most of the float fishers couldn't care less about the barbels welfare they just want to catch fish at all costs.
I have also had them trotting through my swim and they seem totally oblivious to you sitting there quietly waiting for a barbel to bite and when you point it out to them they try to make out you are the one in the wrong.
Barbel like the fish in this stretch are thin on the ground and need protecting.

Bad sorts in all walks Ian, not the methods fault.

Hatter, agree, stalking them in clear water takes some beating.

Meat and hemp were last century.
Pellets were last decade.
Boilies were last season.
Float fished maggots are this winter....:rolleyes::rolleyes:

Like all fads, it'll (soon) pass, especially once summer comes and they get plagued by nuisance fish.:eek:

Never follow hypes and sold-to-you must-do fashions, just hone your skills to be able to effectively fish just about anything when it's required ... bait, lure, fly ... for, dare I say it, just about everything: a never-ending challenge maybe, but God it's fun!

I fish the stretch of river regularly that Simon is talking about and couldn't agree with his comments more. Apart from the two Keith's, Mick, Wardy and one or two others most of the float fishers couldn't care less about the barbels welfare they just want to catch fish at all costs.
I have also had them trotting through my swim and they seem totally oblivious to you sitting there quietly waiting for a barbel to bite and when you point it out to them they try to make out you are the one in the wrong.
Barbel like the fish in this stretch are thin on the ground and need protecting.

Correct Ian, you obviously do. The "other" Keith is another float-meister indeed.

Summary is in your words I think.

"they just want to catch fish at all costs."

Expect the new Korda/Esp/IA/Pallatrax (etc, blah, blah) ranges of "Barbel Floats" out next week, with matching "Barbel" shots, links, float-rubbers, hooks, etc ad nauseum.

I found two 'barbel floats' wrapped up with a load of detritus on the Gt Ouse last year, I know they're barbel floats because it says so on the side but they look just like crowquill Avons to me.

Paul, Czech nymphing for barbel, like garlic bread, is the future.

I have no problem with people praising a method, or quite rightly heaping congratulations (for some outstanding catches) on the head of a man who is very obviously at the top of his game. I think you will also find that it is not Keith who is claiming that trotting is necessarily always the best method for catching barbel...he does it quite simply because that is HIS favourite method...and quite frankly, I can't think of a better reason for doing it than that :D

However, it would be sad if this whole thing starts of a rash of inexperienced anglers causing mayhem by assuming that just because Keith can safely do what he does, then so can they. It is a method that demands a level of skill which can only be aquired by years of fishing for lesser species, and gradually working up. A beginner at trotting jumping straight in at the deep end and starting with barbel is not the way to go.

Cheers, Dave.

Wise words indeed David. Playing big fish on light tackle is not for the faint hearted and does require a degree of skill.

Back