• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Barbel Society?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Just a point Tony, whilst I too am a supporter of the CA (critically as I am not totally keen on organisations mainly representing the Country Side Landowners Association, a far from progressive organisation), they key work behind the scenes on the canoeing issue was done by (and continues in England) the various River Trusts.

The River Trusts are voluntary organisations that are made up of all sorts of people (including canoeists) often with very different objectives, but all sharing a common love of Rivers.
Around the country they are taking over much of the work of the EA (and hopefully this will continue).

Many anglers are involved both as individuals and through local clubs.
On the Teme for instance all the local angling clubs with beats on the river, work closely with the Severn Rivers Trust on practical measure to improve the river, it was the local angling clubs who set up the Teme trust and the Severn Rivers Trust in the first place.
Many clubs are presently directly benefiting from this, as is the Teme itself.

The main reason I stick with the BS is that through its R&C fund and the activities of Pete Reading and others, the BS is the major national organisation of course anglers involved in practical work with the river trusts.
The Wild Trout Trust has a very similar relationship for those of us who also fish for fish with an extra fin.

All is not doom and gloom. Those interested in practical work, rather than political campaigning and posturing (including a few in the BS!), can get directly involved in the conservation work of River Trusts and their local angling clubs. Leave the political posturing to the angling politicians with their columns and blogs.

There is far more that unites River users than the things that divide them. I took a group from English Nature (future conservation officers) around Bransford on the Teme the other week. They didn't have the faintest idea about all or rather sad internal disagreements and had never heard of any of the celebrity anglers (maybe John Wilson and Chris Yates), but were impressed with the conservation work being done by a group of anglers, it gave them a very different opinion of angling from what they arrived with.

I have also sent them a bit upstream to a stretch of water managed by a local club and a private bit managed by Dave Mason, to see what can be done for conservation when anglers do it for themselves rather than relying on state organisations.
Witness the work of the Roach Project down on the Hampshire Avon, two anglers got this of the ground and double handedly are saving an important fish for future generation as well as improving the river for all.

The Trout in the Town project from the WTT which has saved a river in the middle of Sheffield allowing keen anglers to catch wild brown trout on their dinner breaks from a stuffy office (a greater contribution to the mental health of the nation than the work of hundreds of psychiatrists!...I could go on, I am sure you all know of small local initiatives...they all add up and do more than all the big organisation can achieve by top down politics.

I don't really care what the organisation is called, who which particular personality may dominate it as long as that organisation does the stuff for conservation on the rivers. The BS R&C cash and the enthusiasm of the R&C chairman has always impressed me and continues to do so...the rest just washes over me..

Pete, this is in no way a criticism, more just a friendly observation. You clearly have a reasonable degree of intelligence but to make your posts a little more reader friendly, try breaking your posts into paragraphs.
(as I have done in the quote above AND at no charge)

As when I start reading a wall of words like you posted I sadly just click off by about the third or fourth line.
I know my grammar and speiling ain't wondaful that,s why I no you wunt take offence, just a thort...

Fantastic Pete, exactly what should be done and not all the usual bickering, in fighting and backstabbing that seems to go on.
We should be working with groups such as English Nature, EA etc, for the good of the whole river environment, not just individual fish/species, rather than seeing them as the 'enemy'.

What about joining my new 'secret society'
The Secret Live-baiting Otters with Barbel Society or SLOBS for short.

Primary objective; ridding our rivers of alien-invasive species (all non-indigenous species must GO!!):D

Primary objective; ridding our rivers of alien-invasive species (all non-indigenous species must GO!!):D

What will you do with your time once you have gone then Colin :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

Pete, this is in no way a criticism, more just a friendly observation. You clearly have a reasonable degree of intelligence but to make your posts a little more reader friendly, try breaking your posts into paragraphs.
(as I have done in the quote above AND at no charge)

As when I start reading a wall of words like you posted I sadly just click off by about the third or fourth line.
I know my grammar and speiling ain't wondaful that,s why I no you wunt take offence, just a thort...
Used to wp set to had an extra line between paragraphs I am afraid. You will note I do write in paragraphs, starting them and finishing them according to the rules of grammar rather than just for effect, but I will try and remember to add an extra space.

So that's it for Barbel in most of the rivers I fish.......the Salmon anglers on the Wye, will however be queuing up to join:cool:

Peter. Glad you endorse much of what I said initially regarding the R and C section of the BS.

I know you have always been very critical of the fact the BS is not democratic, that the new website platform is poor and also that its masters censor/deletes any debate or postings that might be seen as critical.

Graham

So that's it for Barbel in most of the rivers I fish.......the Salmon anglers on the Wye, will however be queuing up to join:cool:

Fraid so Pete but once all the alien invasive barbel are gone, maybe it'll become apparent to the eco types just what a mess the fishes 'natural' indigenous habitat are actually in, until then I guess westward is fine...

Amazing, its wrong for over half the worlds tigers to no-longer live in their natural habitat BUT 90%+ of the UK's barbel population can live in an alien environment and yet no problem is perceived, bloody amazing!! :rolleyes:

Fair point I guess, but natural rivers or not, barbel are still living wild and in good numbers. Where as half the worlds Tigers are in captivity and their wild counterparts are rapidly dying out.
So not that bloody amazing!:)

Fair point I guess, but natural rivers or not, barbel are still living wild and in good numbers. Where as half the worlds Tigers are in captivity and their wild counterparts are rapidly dying out.
So not that bloody amazing!:)

Hold on Rhys...surely you can't believe that the mere callous wiping out of one of natures most majestic creations in the name of mans insane, insatiable greed, comes even CLOSE to the heinous crime of transfering barbel into new rivers, so that tens of thousands of working class anglers can spend there leisure hours relaxing and catching the fish of their dreams.

I mean, that really was naughty, wasn't it :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

The Barbel Society must be having a recruitment drive i see that from today half season membership is £15 including joining fee..

The Chairman on Saturday

Subject: Righting great wrongs

For the paranoiacally put-upon and other, self-styled, top-end, we despise all of you, "victims".

http://www.telegraph.co.uk/news/new...ryside-Alliance-on-repeal-of-hunting-ban.html

Bring Back Hunting - for the above, and for benefit cheats, PC Gonne-Madders, Elf 'n' Safety Nazis / Stalinists, Public Sector Sorts, So-Up-Themselves Flyfishers and Sundry Sociopaths, Fake Trusts and Charidees, and, of course, all Politicians.

I think that will do for now.

As ever,

B.B.

I am an Equal Opportunities Hunter and Basher, Dave: anyone, whether Left Right or Centre, if they deserve it, gets it. So that you know................

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back