• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

The Barbel Society?

Status
Not open for further replies.

John Cook

Good Evening Barbelers,

Many many moons ago i was a member of the B.S. mainly i think because at that time i thought that any angler who took their barbel fishing seriously would be a member and i wanted to be part of that, I never attended a B.S. conference and i dont think that there were local meetings in my area, I enjoyed the magazines they were quarterly at that time and i was all up for the keeping of barbel out of stillwaters campaign sadly this still continues to happen and probably always will indeed if we believe all we are told in the future it will only be the big rivers and the pools where we will be able to catch barbel...I have rather lost track of the society now, is the membership rising or falling? I notice a lot of people selling their magazine collections on ebay and only two a year now also hear that they have given up a couple of their waters, what is the B.S. doing for barbel fishing and what is it really in a position to be able to do? How by being a member could i help the barbel the river and its surroundings???

Hello John. I hope that the responses can be genuine opinions rather than personal attacks on others views. Here are mine.

I had been a staunch supporter of the Barbel Society for many years. Indeed those of this website will know that I have many times defended it from attack, often at personal cost.

As a once long-time member, one who carried out a number of functions to assist it (RDAA Rep, Junior Tutor, Regional Organiser etc) as well as contributing financially, it sorrows me to see it’s slow demise.

Looking at the organisation it’s greatest failure over the past few years has been the loss of good, caring and knowledgeable Committee members, replaced by personal friendship appointments. It recently lost two excellent Committee members due to personal interests outweighing commonsense. It goes someway to explaining why it has had about seven different Secretaries in so many years and why so many that leave are so anti afterwards.

The fact that membership has nearly halved to 500 approx. from 900 plus in a couple of years says plenty about the self-harm problem. Those who see the BS representatives “viewpoints” that have been displayed on here in the past will understand how the lack of basic communication skills severely impact membership numbers.

There is still a group of good and friendly anglers within the Barbel Society, and a few good Committee people, but until it makes the changes needed, starting with democratic elections of the Chairman and the Committee members, it will fail to meet the needs of what is a growing number of Barbel Anglers.

If you want to support Barbel and the environment, I would suggest a donation to the one area that seems to be working, the R and C section under Pete Reading with a demand that monies are ring fenced for that work alone.

I won't be offering further help until things change.

and i was all up for the keeping of barbel out of stillwaters campaign sadly this still continues to happen and probably always will indeed if we believe all we are told in the future it will only be the big rivers and the pools where we will be able to catch barbel...QUOTE]

Without wishing to step on Graham's toes on his heartfelt and sincere response, are you aware John, of why the Anti-Stillwaters "Campaign" came into existence?

Hi Graham,

Thank you for that frank assesment as to what is happening within the B.S., thats a shame to hear and yes i know the support that you gave to the society and thats a big drop in membership wouldn't you think that they would smarten up in view of their predicament??? Where can i find out more about pete's R and C section?

Hi Simon,

To keep barbel out of stillwaters...

Very interesting comments and thoughts John..I think the answer depends on your own personal viewpoints..I made a comment some time ago stating that in years to come the barbel societys numbers will drop due to many dedicated barbel anglers giving up the pursuit of barbel simply because on certain rivers they are dramatically dissapearing..I also think in my opinion that their stance regarding otters not being a problem on certain rivers has also made people leave the society and made others question as to if it is worth joining..The research and conservation part may sound good but i must question as to if its going to do any good to the rivers that have predation problems that the barbel society dont even recognise..In my own opinion the barbel society are not making a difference or indeed can make any difference..
This is just my own personal opinion and in no way a personal attack on any members of the barbel society..
Regards Craig.

Hi Craig,

It would seem that many ex members like yourself must be dissapointed with the B.S. for membership to drop50%, Yes otter predation is a problem on some rivers along with other issues and the smaller river will be savaged as some already have its sad to see it happen..can we rely on the angling trust are we all members???

Hi John
Im really not sure if anyone can do anything now on some rivers as it appears the damage is already done..If i thought for one instance that the barbel society or any other society could make a difference then i would join tomorow..I recognise that predation is not the whole factor for some rivers decline but i also recognise that no society can change whats happening simply because the real culprits who are destroying some rivers have far too much financial clout and indeed government backing which pretty much makes them untouchable..Which is why i think the barbel society and other various angling groups cant do anything..

I do have to say the barbel society does have some good blokes on board who have good intentions..I accept that the barbel society does now recognise that predation on some rivers is an ever increasing problem which is not going to go away without direct action of some sort..(thanks again fred for the info)..However it is still my opinion of too little too late for some rivers..In my opinion its a shame that the barbel society and other anglers groups dont recieve the rod licence money thats collected because i do believe it would of been better spent for the benefit of anglers..

In part I agree with Craig, having heard at too many meetings that Otters are not a problem ( and walked out in discust)!!
However I have another theory based more on the simple fact that when most people part with their money for membership of any society they expect to get something in return! This is I know is a very shallow response but in my experience people will part with the 'hard earned' if they got some return for their investment.
For instance if the BS raised the membership fee by a few quid instead of asking for so much money for their river stretches e.g £30 and free or small day ticket fee for their fisheries, I am sure more people would join!
Any thoughts.

'For instance if the BS raised the membership fee by a few quid instead of asking for so much money for their river stretches e.g £30 and free or small day ticket fee for their fisheries, I am sure more people would join'

Would make this a better proposition especially during these recessional times. Keith - Great idea

Cheers, Jon

Hi Keith,

Well for me i would like to be able to see my cash going towards protecting the barbel and its habitat but does the society have the clout to be able to make a difference?

I would agree with Graham's point about there being some good work done by Pete and the R & C section. One area that CAN be impacted is improving habitat.

No society will ever solve the otter issue, they just don't have the clout.

As said before, just my personal opinion.

Steve

Hi Simon,

To keep barbel out of stillwaters...

To protect one man's commercial interests (on a river) following alleged fish theft by a stillwater fishery owner.

The whole thing that's now become enshrined as a B.S cornerstone was based on a false premise. It was never to do with the barbels suitability for a stillwater existence, merely an emotional kneejerk reaction to an alleged commercial wrong, that has now become a cause celebre without being able to show any real foundation.

Bit of a shame really, since I'm sure the Society does some honest work in some areas, but it wouldn't get my support while it continues to base itself so heavily and blindly on such a false premise.

In my opinion its a shame that the barbel society and other anglers groups dont recieve the rod licence money thats collected because i do believe it would of been better spent for the benefit of anglers..

In the Barbel Society's current constitutional format, i would imagine that any Government funding would be highly unlikely.

Other than the BS what other organisations are out there doing some good?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back