• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2024

Another forty-eight hour session on the R&I lake at Larkfield. Eleven tincas from 4-08 to 7-04. All caught during daylight, baits reeled in at night to allow sleep. One more trip early next week sees my “spring” ticket expire. Will definitely having another next year, so much water to go at.

Another forty-eight hour session on the R&I lake at Larkfield. Eleven tincas from 4-08 to 7-04. All caught during daylight, baits reeled in at night to allow sleep. One more trip early next week sees my “spring” ticket expire. Will definitely having another next year, so much water to go at.
Hi Bill

I’ve read about your catches on the spring ticket with interest. I nearly got one this year but I’m still recovering from back surgery so a night on a bedchair doesn’t appeal.

It’s a bit of a drive for me so it would be long sessions only but am I right in thinking that it’s still worth fishing during daylight hours

Hi Bill

I’ve read about your catches on the spring ticket with interest. I nearly got one this year but I’m still recovering from back surgery so a night on a bedchair doesn’t appeal.

It’s a bit of a drive for me so it would be long sessions only but am I right in thinking that it’s still worth fishing during daylight hours
Dave,
ALL of my fish have come during the day from 5:30/6am thru’ to the latest at about 9:20pm. Because of my age I can’t respond quick enough from a sleep to keep any fish clear of the weed so elect to reel in at about 10pm and recast at first light. Gives me a reasonable nights kip and I fish more effectively during my favourite early morning. My mate leaves his baits out at night but has had less than half dozen fish during the night. I will definitely be getting a Spring ticket next year and fishing in the same manner. WELL worth it in my opinion.
Let me know if you want a walk round, it’s a Country Park so not restrictive for access.
I wish you and your back a speedy recovery.
Regards
Bill 👍
PS. There’s another Tenchfishers member who only fishes one day a week on The Ocean and has caught well 👍

Dave,
ALL of my fish have come during the day from 5:30/6am thru’ to the latest at about 9:20pm. Because of my age I can’t respond quick enough from a sleep to keep any fish clear of the weed so elect to reel in at about 10pm and recast at first light. Gives me a reasonable nights kip and I fish more effectively during my favourite early morning. My mate leaves his baits out at night but has had less than half dozen fish during the night. I will definitely be getting a Spring ticket next year and fishing in the same manner. WELL worth it in my opinion.
Let me know if you want a walk round, it’s a Country Park so not restrictive for access.
I wish you and your back a speedy recovery.
Regards
Bill 👍
PS. There’s another Tenchfishers member who only fishes one day a week on The Ocean and has caught well 👍
Thanks Bill, thanks for sharing that info and for your very kind offer.

I had a quick look round in February this year, there’s a lot of water but with my limited mobility I like how easy a lot the swims are to park near.

Al the best for the rest of the season.

Dave

FWIW I fished there many years ago and just like Bill we caught nearly all our fish in daylight; mostly in the breakfast - lunchtime slot.

We had several over 9, best 9.13 (not caught by me!). Ano Essex based friend fished there for years after us and caught significantly bigger fish.

FWIW I fished there many years ago and just like Bill we caught nearly all our fish in daylight; mostly in the breakfast - lunchtime slot.

We had several over 9, best 9.13 (not caught by me!). Ano Essex based friend fished there for years after us and caught significantly bigger fish.
I think Jim Gibbinson once called it “office hours Tenching” or something similar 😁

thanks

Morning all, have people found tench to enjoy the morning sun, or are they equally as happy to feed first thing in the shade?
My thoughts are that first light there keen to patrol the margins looking for grub…regardless if sun or shade if they come across food they will feed, then as the sun rises they seek shelter in weed, under trees etc! Probably all depends on the water, depth, weed etc but one things for sure tench are creatures of habit so if you work it out for your water it’s unlikely to change ….unlike what food/baitthey prefer on any particular day which us very frustrating …or at least us when I fish for them

My thoughts are that first light there keen to patrol the margins looking for grub…regardless if sun or shade if they come across food they will feed, then as the sun rises they seek shelter in weed, under trees etc! Probably all depends on the water, depth, weed etc but one things for sure tench are creatures of habit so if you work it out for your water it’s unlikely to change ….unlike what food/baitthey prefer on any particular day which us very frustrating …or at least us when I fish for them

Thank you. I’m on a carp lake for a few days but am currently more into the idea of catching my pb float caught tench. I haven’t float fished for gravel pit tench for 10+ years so am a bit of practice. I’m in a spot where they were fizzing the other day and I managed a little one yesterday afternoon. Fingers crossed a big one turns up.

Thank you. I’m on a carp lake for a few days but am currently more into the idea of catching my pb float caught tench. I haven’t float fished for gravel pit tench for 10+ years so am a bit of practice. I’m in a spot where they were fizzing the other day and I managed a little one yesterday afternoon. Fingers crossed a big one turns up.
Good luck….tench are definitely my nemesis, I tend to only fish for them on the float and occasionally on the tip. Never had a double but come close…the carp boys regularly get the big ones but it all feels a bit dirty to me fishing for tench with bolt rigs and buzzers 😂 I’m determined one day to have a float caught double

Back