• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2024

Superb fishing Bill, congrats on the PB. You deserve that for all the effort you've put in. 👍
Thanks Derek. I am lucky that being retired and having a decent Tench fishery close to home (and a very understanding better half) I can fish when I want 😁👍

Yay, after quite a few sessions this spring chasing after tench with only bream to show for my troubles. I finally managed to get a couple. I'm delighted.

Attachments

• 20240525_185421.jpg
    20240525_185421.jpg
    128 KB · Views: 43
A cracking days fishing at SWS Road and Island lake today. 6.30am start after a torrential downpour, first three fish were all males each being special for me. The first my first fish from R&I lake, the second was a personal milestone for this spring and the third was a new male PB for me by well over a pound. Later in the morning I got another PB, a female raising my recently set PB from 9-05 to 9-07. I finished the day with ten fish , six being males.
IMG_9279.jpegIMG_9286.jpeg

A cracking days fishing at SWS Road and Island lake today. 6.30am start after a torrential downpour, first three fish were all males each being special for me. The first my first fish from R&I lake, the second was a personal milestone for this spring and the third was a new male PB for me by well over a pound. Later in the morning I got another PB, a female raising my recently set PB from 9-05 to 9-07. I finished the day with ten fish , six being males.
View attachment 30191View attachment 30192
Congrats again Bill, you are certainly having a great tench season. Which is thoroughly well deserved 👍🎣

Congrats again Bill, you are certainly having a great tench season. Which is thoroughly well deserved 👍🎣
Many thanks Carl. Passing the milestone this morning now ranks it as best ever. I have had seasons with lots of sub five pound fish when I float fished a small local fishery for tincas but this season takes the laurels for fish over the five pound mark. Makes silly reading but then there have been plenty of hours put in as well. 👍

Superb Bill, thoroughly well deserved, only wish i had your time and energy. ( And waters ). Your next fish will be a 10lb er for sure👍
Thanks Derek. If a ten comes be sure I’ll be crowing about it but IF is the word. I’m fishing waters which hold them but it’s the luck of the draw what picks the bait up. I’m grateful to be catching I know there are chaps struggling for a variety of reasons whether it be fishery, time, location or travel. The water I was on yesterday is only thirty minutes from home at 5am and my local club lake just seven or eight minutes so I’m one very lucky bunny. I just wish I had quality Barbel fishing that close ! Greedy sod arn’t I 🤣

My mate came up from Hampshire again on Monday last, a curry and a pint on Monday evening and on the water and fishing by 6am on Tuesday. Dave wanted to try his hand again in the swim we had great success in a couple of weeks ago. When we arrived a carper was in the swim and well wrapped up in his bag. We fished for three hours further down the fishery ‘till the chap packed up and we moved. Baits were back in place at about 9:30am and at 10:15 I had a 7-06 male. Dave lost one at the net about twenty minutes later and apart from a near 23lb common carp that took my maggot bait just after noon that was our activity for the day. We fished ‘till 9.30 pm and decided on a decent nights kip so no baits in again ‘till 4.30 am on Wednesday. At 5.05am I caught my first of the day, a 6-14 female. We ended the session at 4.30pm as Dave couldn’t buy a decent bite and finally got cheesed off. I ended the day with four Tench and a Bream which was just short of nine pounds and an Eel of about 2.5lb.

Had a few lake sessions with some tench success but couple of weekends ago got absolutely slaughtered by mosqitoes whilst sitting in the shade on a sunny day.
Had about 20 -25 mossi bites which came up following day.
What is considered the best repellant these days apart from citronella ,avon skin soft or deet ?
Someone suggested Vics vapour rub ?
Might help a few others
Cheers

Back