• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2024

Christian Tyroll

Afternoon all
I had blagged 3 tench the other day (and night) all about 6lbs, I have to admit it was whilst carp fishing but sometimes there's not much difference between the two. If I was specifically after the tench I probably would have just shaved a bit off the tutti wafter and used a slightly lighter rod.
A nice surprise in the middle of winter anyway, I had them ripping up the bottom for the boilie crumb and liquidised corn.
IMG_2339.JPG

Afternoon all
I had blagged 3 tench the other day (and night) all about 6lbs, I have to admit it was whilst carp fishing but sometimes there's not much difference between the two. If I was specifically after the tench I probably would have just shaved a bit off the tutti wafter and used a slightly lighter rod.
A nice surprise in the middle of winter anyway, I had them ripping up the bottom for the boilie crumb and liquidised corn.
View attachment 28219
Well caught Christian, I’ve had two short day time trips recently after Tinca as I can’t get to “ my” rivers at the moment . I’ve yet to have a bite but it’s been great to be out.

Well caught Christian, I’ve had two short day time trips recently after Tinca as I can’t get to “ my” rivers at the moment . I’ve yet to have a bite but it’s been great to be out.

That's it Bill, just a blessing to get out isn't it. For health reasons that was my first trip back down the lake since mid August and I was like a pig in poop, had the GSW behind me, owls, great white egrets, little egrets and the snowdrops came out 🙏

Well I had another crack and did an overnighter, setting up just before dark and fishing till lunchtime the next day. I fished a lot better than the time before and baited super accurately although blanked. I changed to my tench rods which probably cursed me.

You’re out there doing it mate that’s what matters, this sorta fake spring is messing with the fish I think. I’ve seen tench and crucian coming out then a cold snap there gone again.

Sitting quietly fishing for Chub last night on a local river a fish kept moving about 2ft from the bank in very shallow water. Last week in the same swim a tail sticking out of the water in the same spot had ended up with a chub of 6lb 10oz. I again wound in my cheesepaste and lowered it inside my rod top fully expecting a pick up from another big chub. In the next thirty minutes before I decided to go home for tea, that bloomin fish had turned at least 10 times in the exact same spot . I had given up trying to catch it but wanted to just see what it was. On its next roll I decided to switch on my bright torch. On went the torch and there was a Tench in about a foot of water, a real surprise on a freezing night on the local river.

Ended up on a Stillwater (again!) yesterday as even the roads were flooded round here - let alone the river.

I was hoping for another carp after catching a couple last week, but things were a lot quieter and I also got absolutely drenched despite a dry forecast.

After a couple of what I thought were liners, I managed a proper bite at 5pm and it was a tench about 5lb. A welcome sight and interestingly my first Winter tench from that water. I have caught loads from 2 other local (CWP) waters when targeting roach or perch; but yesterdays water tends to stop producing tench around the end of October…..

Has anyone ever used the Guru X Safe stems with inline method feeders? They seem to be elasticated and I'm wondering (a) whether they are safe and (b) whether they offer any advantages over a normal inline system.

I have used.

I found the wire loop to attach the main line too fine in my opinion and didn't really trust it with potential to cause line slip.

Also, if I remember correctly the bait sits on a small square platform.
Whereas I prefer to push it into the moulded feed.

If I can add a query for anyone that looks in on the post. How do you prevent the leader tubing from slipping up the mainline? Bearing in mind most fisheries prevent anything to be added above the conected hooklink?
Ps. Some fisheries even stop bare line rigs.

I know what you mean by the wire being thin G. I don't use leader tubing, all I use is the standard loop to attach to the x safe. However i double over my loop on the wire, so its not resting on one piece of line, but two, if you get what i mean. I don't think they are made to take tubing either being a match type method feeder, probably making them un safe if you added tubing. What they give is extra cushioning, when bringing in fish on the retrieve. In use for Tench, with a hybrid feeder, they have been brilliant. Only last week I was fishing 90m plus for carp on one of my locals and wouldn't dream of using nothing else.

Back