• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2024

Had a few lake sessions with some tench success but couple of weekends ago got absolutely slaughtered by mosqitoes whilst sitting in the shade on a sunny day.
Had about 20 -25 mossi bites which came up following day.
What is considered the best repellant these days apart from citronella ,avon skin soft or deet ?
Someone suggested Vics vapour rub ?
Might help a few others
Cheers
I use Jungle Formula with Deet. Probably not good for one's health or the environment but, given the choice, far better than multiple bites and days of itching and scratching! You and I must he in the group that seem to attract them but don't get me going on midges!

I use Jungle Formula with Deet. Probably not good for one's health or the environment but, given the choice, far better than multiple bites and days of itching and scratching! You and I must he in the group that seem to attract them but don't get me going on midges!
They drove me mad, every 30 seconds slapping myself, looked like a German folk dancer at a beer festival.

My tench campaign hasn't really got going with only 4 or 5 sessions so far, managed to get out today and had a lovely 8.06 first cast, turned out to be the only tench of the day but I did also get two very large eels, both easily over 4lbs, managed to unhook them both in the water thankfully !

View attachment 30325
Well caught Cliff👍

Just packing up from a 48hour session on SWS Road & Island lake. Hard going for me, hooked five but only landed two but they were both eight pounders. My mate Phil faired better in a swim about forty yards and round the bend slightly. He’s had twelve between 5-02 & 8-13 three being eight pounders. Back next week for another try.

Attachments

• IMG_9397.jpeg
    IMG_9397.jpeg
    277.9 KB · Views: 37
  • IMG_9403.jpeg
    IMG_9403.jpeg
    289.4 KB · Views: 40
Two days/two night session on SWS Fisheries Road & Island lake again this week. Started well with a take twenty minutes after casting while I wrestled with my new bivvy. Another Tinca followed forty minutes later but then nothing ‘till the late afternoon when the best of the day 7-13 graced my net. I reeled my baits in at midnight finally so as I could get some shuteye in readiness of an early start.
Baits back out at 4.50am and similar pattern to Tuesday with two fish in the first hour and then nothing for the rest of the day, only fished ‘till 9.30pm as the sleeping bag was calling my name VERY loudly. Baits back out at 4.30am and best fish of the trip at 5.55am a female of 8-10. I lost two fish also on this trip due to hook pulls, very annoying!
Mat shot only of the 8-10 as the water in front of the swim was too shallow to allow safe retention while I readied the tripod and “camera”.
I’m visiting my sister in Cornwall next week before it gets too busy with visitors, might take a rod and try for Mullet, but will be back after the Tench early July before my spring ticket expires. When that’s gone I’ll then start thinking about my autumn Barbel trips, more travel involved for them so will be less frequent.

FullSizeRender.jpeg

Two days/two night session on SWS Fisheries Road & Island lake again this week. Started well with a take twenty minutes after casting while I wrestled with my new bivvy. Another Tinca followed forty minutes later but then nothing ‘till the late afternoon when the best of the day 7-13 graced my net. I reeled my baits in at midnight finally so as I could get some shuteye in readiness of an early start.
Baits back out at 4.50am and similar pattern to Tuesday with two fish in the first hour and then nothing for the rest of the day, only fished ‘till 9.30pm as the sleeping bag was calling my name VERY loudly. Baits back out at 4.30am and best fish of the trip at 5.55am a female of 8-10. I lost two fish also on this trip due to hook pulls, very annoying!
Mat shot only of the 8-10 as the water in front of the swim was too shallow to allow safe retention while I readied the tripod and “camera”.
I’m visiting my sister in Cornwall next week before it gets too busy with visitors, might take a rod and try for Mullet, but will be back after the Tench early July before my spring ticket expires. When that’s gone I’ll then start thinking about my autumn Barbel trips, more travel involved for them so will be less frequent.

View attachment 30476
Out of interest Bill. Have the tench spawned down your way yet? That nice fish on your mat looks as though it hasn't.

Out of interest Bill. Have the tench spawned down your way yet? That nice fish on your mat looks as though it hasn't.
Not had a good go Ady, certainly not on the waters I fish. There’s obviously been a minor effort as I had a male with an extended vent recently. The water is warm and I recon a few days of sun will see them go for it.

Back