• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2023

Tried a new water with some very elusive tench and known for big bream, no surprise I blanked on the tinca front.
Did manage two double digure bream though, consecutive pbs at 10lb 8oz and 10lb 9oz.
Back to the more reliable tench waters from now on.
IMG-20230505-WA0000.jpg

Tried a new water with some very elusive tench and known for big bream, no surprise I blanked on the tinca front.
Did manage two double digure bream though, consecutive pbs at 10lb 8oz and 10lb 9oz.
View attachment 23612
Not one of my favourite fish Josh BUT they are proper Bream. Well done on the PB’s 👍

I’ve finally caught a Tench 👍 fishing by 6-15am this morning with only the morning sorted so stayed local rather than the fifty mile round trip to SWS. Had a drop back at about 11am which had me striking into thin air! Just before noon a cracking take which resulted in a great tussle with a belter of a fish weighing 5lb 15oz. Got to confess it looked bigger and had I lost it at the net would have sworn blind it was seven plus. Weighed it on three sets of scales 🤣 stayed longer than intended as the conditions were spot on, decent southwesterly breeze and overcast but this was the only Tinca to follow my script.
IMG_6387.jpeg

View attachment 23612
Congrats on the pbs Josh and I think I would be giving that new water a few more trips👍🎣

Not one of my favourite fish Josh BUT they are proper Bream. Well done on the PB’s 👍
Cheers Bill, aye theyre a funny fish and have found them very different in fight and slime depending on the venue.

Congrats on your first tench, it has surprised me just how slow its been going all over the country, usually the south picks up way ahead of us.

Cheers Bill, aye theyre a funny fish and have found them very different in fight and slime depending on the venue.

Congrats on your first tench, it has surprised me just how slow it’s been going all over the country, usually the south picks up way ahead of us.
Strange how this spring has gone Josh, I had a brilliant March, as reported a few pages back, which was surprising as we were having frosty nights and a wicked northeasterly wind but have struggled in April when I would have been expecting things to start picking up. May has been slow so far but I have been spending some time on a “big fish” water and can’t expect to catch as regularly as I have for the past seasons. The important thing is we enjoy what we’re doing, my mate from Hampshire is coming up next week for a days fishing, would be nice to see him break the six pound barrier. He catches plenty of Tench from his local but they are mainly in the two to four pound bracket. We’ll all come good, just stick in there 👍😁

Frustrating start this morning, 1st swim choice, just a blanket weed nightmare, 2nd swim much better. Saw a couple roll, game on, had a really fast take shortly after a recast, netted after a good scrap, typical male scrap, 2nd rod screamed off, a much more brutal, dogged scrap, ended up with both in the net. Tench 7lb 6oz, carp, a stunning leather, 32lb 4oz, a new PB, happy days!

Frustrating start this morning, 1st swim choice, just a blanket weed nightmare, 2nd swim much better. Saw a couple roll, game on, had a really fast take shortly after a recast, netted after a good scrap, typical male scrap, 2nd rod screamed off, a much more brutal, dogged scrap, ended up with both in the net. Tench 7lb 6oz, carp, a stunning leather, 32lb 4oz, a new PB, happy days!
I would be very happy with those! Well done.

8th tench session of 2023 this morning on a gravel pit. Haven't had much of a chance to fish this one this year. Conditions look good.
Temp not taken. Heavy rainfall last night. 6 dark coloured tench up to just under 6 lb.
Seventh fish on a minute after the recast. I didn't see it, vortexes close in. Obviously a better fish this one. New Daiwa GSBR LT5000C (8 sessions) malfuctioned (locked solid whilst back winding). Lost the fish. Packed up at 09.00 hrs a tad pissed off. Reel going back to the supplier.

8th tench session of 2023 this morning on a gravel pit. Haven't had much of a chance to fish this one this year. Conditions look good.
Temp not taken. Heavy rainfall last night. 6 dark coloured tench up to just under 6 lb.
Seventh fish on a minute after the recast. I didn't see it, vortexes close in. Obviously a better fish this one. New Daiwa GSBR LT5000C (8 sessions) malfuctioned (locked solid whilst back winding). Lost the fish. Packed up at 09.00 hrs a tad pissed off. Reel going back to the supplier.
B grateful. Nice session

A little story.

An old boy, bit worried about the possible weather decided not to venture a fair distance to a massive lake that he has spent over 100 hours blanking. The lake has a good head of tench, but they have not shown much at all this year so far with even the regulars blanking.

So he went to a local 2 acre lake that has nice carp to touching 30lb

It's just carp, but 11 or so years ago a tench was caught...
The owner says its the only one in the lake and has offered £100 to anyone that catches it each year
It came out just once in all those years, last year.

Well the old boy has just caught it!

And found out it was caught again last week!

No £100 for the old boy who can't decide if it's a change of fortune or a kick in the goolies.
20230510_144257.jpg

Last edited:
A little story.

An old boy, bit worried about the possible weather decided not to venture a fair distance to a massive lake that he has spent over 100 hours blanking. The lake has a good head of tench, but they have not shown much at all this year so far with even the regulars blanking.

So he went to a local 2 acre lake that has nice carp to touching 30lb

It's just carp, but 5 or so years ago a tench was caught...
The owner says its the only one in the lake and has offered £100 to anyone that catches it each year
It came out just once in all those years, last year.

Well the old boy has just caught it!

And found out it was caught again last week!

No £100 for the old boy who can't decide if it's a change of fortune or a kick in the goolies.
View attachment 23616
I like that.

Back