• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Tench 2023

Hi Jon.
Three Pals ( you know them) fished Lynch Hill x1 and Linear x 2 for the same time and up to 48 hrs this time.

All 4 of us failed to get a bite.

So it's tough on the large places

But basically fishing what worked last season same place.
Wafters, Method, Choc.
Heli Mags.

But I know that Tench S boys really struggled week before, and locals on the lake struggling too. I'm a determined Nut sometimes.

Maybe look at worm kebab next

Some lads i know ha e really struggled on the Maggot heli rig etc. Then a switch to wafter or window feeder etc has worked wonders.
Your ticking all them boxes.. they will come. Always closer to a pb when your blanking. Hope its not A long walk for you....

Another blank for me, two blanks actually! Went SWS early yesterday morning with plans to fish ‘till this afternoon, unfortunately I had to pull off and return home yesterday afternoon so I decided to go local today, I had plenty of bait, I had plenty of feed but alas nothing to trouble the landing net on either day…Next week’s another week. I’ll be back.

What has been noticeable to me is the lack of insect/fly life around when I've been working outside and or fishing/birdwatching, I've put this down to the harder winter we had in 2022, nature has just slowed down.

Two garden ponds I look after were four weeks late with frogs mating, I have only in the last few days recorded Orange Tip, Brimstone, Peacock and Large White Butterflies, these are about three weeks later than normal. I saw my first bat last Tuesday over our garden again at least three weeks later than has been "normal"

I have yet to see House Martins on a local water where in the past I have had them second week in April.

So it may just be a nature thing in the last decade or more we have had odd weather in late winter and early spring, mini heatwaves in February and March spring to mind. These Tench we are angling for may be no older than 10 or 12 years so will not have encountered anything like the cold winter of 2022 so there metabolism is dealing with something new and it may just take a little longer for them to warm up. Yes there have been Tench caught and recorded on the thread but they may just be against the run of play.

My own records show for 2022 from 16th March until 26th April, 5 sessions, 25 tench caught and 1 blank. 2023 19th March until 2nd May, 4 sessions, 2 tench caught, 3 blanks.

Hopefully my theory means they will get their heads down in the next two weeks. I may be way off the mark so just tell me to shut up but it reads okay and is added to my list of excuses for failing to catch.

I’ve had a very slow bolt out the gates this year on all accounts. Put the hours in, water craft and ground work for little reward. But that’s fishing for you, at some point regardless it will unfold and pay off for us all I’m sure. What ever it is we are out there doing it enjoying it ( most of the time ☺️).

Off to France 🇫🇷 next week to chase some big carp and cats 🐈‍ and the odd perch if I can on the float in the evenings.

An 8.06 lber from last Friday. The largest of a 5 fish catch. The water temp was still at 11 degC. In France currently (not fishing related) so the next tenching session will probably be this Monday.

Attachments

• IMG-20230504-WA0010.jpg
    IMG-20230504-WA0010.jpg
    33.9 KB · Views: 97
Another blank for me, two blanks actually! Went SWS early yesterday morning with plans to fish ‘till this afternoon, unfortunately I had to pull off and return home yesterday afternoon so I decided to go local today, I had plenty of bait, I had plenty of feed but alas nothing to trouble the landing net on either day…Next week’s another week. I’ll be back.
Sounds like a bit of a grind is the SWS Bill. Likely where the PB's lurk though.

Sounds like a bit of a grind is the SWS Bill. Likely where the PB's lurk though.
Part of the problem is the amount of water to go at Ady. Also, i’ve not had chance to strike up any conversations with carp anglers who have been a good source of info regarding who’s catching (Tench) and where they’ve been seen moving on my home pit. Time I’ve spent, so far, I’ve not seen many fish rolling but yes! Certainly a fishery to give me a PB if I can find them 🤣

I’ve had a very slow bolt out the gates this year on all accounts. Put the hours in, water craft and ground work for little reward. But that’s fishing for you, at some point regardless it will unfold and pay off for us all I’m sure. What ever it is we are out there doing it enjoying it ( most of the time ☺️).

Off to France 🇫🇷 next week to chase some big carp and cats 🐈‍ and the odd perch if I can on the float in the evenings.
What region Daniel?

What region Daniel?
dordogne, my uncles lake in Limoges has started spawning… may be a little hit or miss. Normally they don’t start to end of may. Every lake seems to be doing something different. I set off early next Friday morning.

dordogne, my uncles lake in Limoges has started spawning… may be a little hit or miss. Normally they don’t start to end of may. Every lake seems to be doing something different. I set off early next Friday morning. Not many tench though😐
We're in the Carcassonne region. No fishing just sight seeing and eating 👍. Splendid castles and fortresses where the Crusaders were based. Wild bulls and the white horses. Very interesting region.

Interesting reading. I'm up to 130 hours on a large southen pit and no action yet over multiple swims / sessions. Only seen one fish for sure. A couple out to the carp lads.

It's pretty low stock and struggled last year too so par for the course I guess.

Interesting reading. I'm up to 130 hours on a large southen pit and no action yet over multiple swims / sessions. Only seen one fish for sure. A couple out to the carp lads.

It's pretty low stock and struggled last year too so par for the course I guess.
Good Luck Rupert and thanks for joining in, it’s always interesting to hear how others are fairing…Good and Bad 🤣

Having spent the morning attending to jobs around the house and with harmony restored 😉
I headed to the little lake for a couple of hours🎣 my son was already there and managed 2tench to 3.5lb🎣
With only one other angler there we almost had the run of the place🎣
I opted to fish a swim I hadn’t tried before with reeds to the left and right plus overhanging trees on the far bank🎣
I’d seen a tench roll over under the tree, it’s just a little under arm cast to the far bank in all the swims here but it can be snaggy🙄
as usual I fish my own bait and flicked out to the tree and settled down. I’d been there 25mins or so and the bobbing was up and I was attached to one of the resident carp, this venue only houses tench and carp with the carp going to 18lb and they love a snag, this one being one exception😂 after a epic battle it was in the net a 14lb8oz common
Followed shortly by one of 12lb4oz. I’ve struggled on my last couple of sessions tempting the tincas sometimes that’s the way it is but Iam not complaining at 14lb8oz it a venue best for me😬 I’ll be back for another go tempting tincas in the week🎣

Attachments

• 119D5989-67ED-44CE-BCBC-29238398DE59.jpeg
    119D5989-67ED-44CE-BCBC-29238398DE59.jpeg
    340.8 KB · Views: 89
I have long used Marukyu as the classic case of over marketing a product, over expensive packaging etc. Didnt last long here , 5 years? and must have lost a packet. I have a few jars of JPZ pellets but what works for me for carp, so planning to use for tench, is one/or 3 plastic corn plus a triple maggot. Red has saved me so many times from a blank its weird. Other colours white/orange etc not so much but at my favourite water, red is the business. On other club waters ok but not exceptional.

Back