• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stalker Roving Seat (bum buddy)

...or designed so that it could attach to, for example, the back of a Korum Ruckbag or similar, so that hands can be freed to carry rod and landing net.

hmm now you have got to start matching zips between manufacturers and thats not easy/cheap. I believe the brief in the first place was to keep it simple.

Cheers

Adie

simple is one thing... useful is another! I cycle everywhere so very carefull about what i use. It must have as many uses as i can squeeze out of it.

Adrian, just been having a look through the link you posted and have found a couple that look pretty good.

I currently have a cheap one from Go Outdoors that is great; the downside is the small pocket on the back.
I was hoping that this one being designed and manufactured would solve my problems but in reality it doesn’t offer me anything that I don’t already have.

Ideally I want one with a big enough pocket that will house everything I need for roving sessions.

If you can live with an American football teams name across it or one in real tree then these below could work well dependant on the price of shipping.

http://www.shop4it.biz/p~p-48087608~Nfl-Saints-Stadium-Seat.aspx

http://www.unbeatablesales.com/ilab010.html?mr:referralID=725dc575-2c9f-11e0-b21a-001b2166c2c0

The one above even has a thermal compartment for 15 cans of drink!

Tom.

Tom, I've been on the beer all day so excuse me...........I love the way you have taken a random link from a quick google surf and found a diamond. I might just buy the realtree one just to be different.

Anthony, You need to take more time over reading posts, I only use the bum buddy for roving, I've got a Korum tabletop ruckbag which I use for my long sessions. I couple it up with a 5 year old Terry Hern lightweight chair. It's a great bit of kit apart from the superfluous bit of padding stored in the top pocket, I cut mine out and use the pocket for a lightweight breathable fleece.

Actually Anthony I've just read your last post and realised you have not got the faintest clue what you are talking about.

Some interesting points and opinions gents! Not everyone will like these. We accept that, its just the way of the world. I don`t like Renaults but that doesn`t mean they`re rubbish! We`re trying to get a product on the shelves that you guys actually want, not one that will make do. The picture I attached last week was the first design. Its not necessarily the one we`ll run with but its a starting point and we have to start somewhere eh!

The pocket / removable bag idea is certainly a consideration now. I`d never thought about that one! A simple fix for the problem of overbalancing. Thats the stuff we like! Top clips for attaching to bags, another good point. We wouldn`t go down the route of designing something that attaches to, say, a Korum bag. If we did something like that it would be made to fit a Precision bag!

Our main concern with this is cost. Ok, we can work on an all singing all dancing Bankmaster but when it hits the shops no-ones going to buy it if the price isn`t right! Its a conundrum. The more the manufacturing cost goes up the more they`ll go on the shelves for.

Ok, lets move this one step forward. The removable bags, we`d look to attach them via clips at the top and maybe a press stud (or something similar) on the bottom to stop them flapping around. What would you like to see in the way of capacity?

From my pov, I'd want a seat to be a seat, not much more. I don't want pockets in it. I do like the idea of a pegging point to stop it blowing away. I do like the idea of a clip of some description to tag it onto another bit of kit when carrying.

More than anything else I want padding for my backside, a bit of support for my dodgy back and a degree of waterproofing so I don't get a wet arse.

More than anything else I want padding for my backside, a bit of support for my dodgy back and a degree of waterproofing so I don't get a wet arse.

Like it!

I dont think some people are getting it on here dont want to sound rude. Why would you want to add a ruckbag ? might as well add the chair . This kind of seat is for roaming . I use one of Martyns seat today all I took was a rod, landing net and a small bag keep my baits and bits in and some food . Im only in a swim 20 mins tops when roaming . No need for a big pocket etc as all bits are in my small bag with camera etc in. More weight add less you want to move swims . You dont need banks to be flat use one of these seats every swim I wanted to fish I did. Not going to comment on the seat its self till I used it a lot more but theses seats are for roaming so lightness is the key .

Last edited:
Actually Anthony I've just read your last post and realised you have not got the faintest clue what you are talking about

Cheers for that Adrian. I take it that you are unchallenged fountain of all knowledge?

Perhaps we have different ideas of roving. On my river I can walk four miles and drop into virtually unfished water throughout its length. As such, I need room for food, drink, waterproofs (it's tough up north) and a folding shovel etc. and don't carry a chair as the banks are too steep. I may be out for the whole day, so a ruckbag is a necessity and a well designed bum buddy will make it much more comfortable.

Cheers for that Adrian. I take it that you are unchallenged fountain of all knowledge?

Perhaps we have different ideas of roving. On my river I can walk four miles and drop into virtually unfished water throughout its length. As such, I need room for food, drink, waterproofs (it's tough up north) and a folding shovel etc. and don't carry a chair as the banks are too steep. I may be out for the whole day, so a ruckbag is a necessity and a well designed bum buddy will make it much more comfortable.

It will have pegging points... can you not just use the rings and a clip and attach it to your ruckbag? If you need a ruckbag to go fishing, this seat is not going to be difficult to carry with the rest of you stuff!

It would be nice to have a small removeable bag for the odd extras like scales, small tackle box (just in case of tree casts) small amount of bait.. Around 5 litres, For that light rove couple of hour fish!

Adrian, just been having a look through the link you posted and have found a couple that look pretty good.

I currently have a cheap one from Go Outdoors that is great; the downside is the small pocket on the back.
I was hoping that this one being designed and manufactured would solve my problems but in reality it doesn’t offer me anything that I don’t already have.

Ideally I want one with a big enough pocket that will house everything I need for roving sessions.

If you can live with an American football teams name across it or one in real tree then these below could work well dependant on the price of shipping.

http://www.shop4it.biz/p~p-48087608~Nfl-Saints-Stadium-Seat.aspx

http://www.unbeatablesales.com/ilab010.html?mr:referralID=725dc575-2c9f-11e0-b21a-001b2166c2c0

The one above even has a thermal compartment for 15 cans of drink!

Tom.

I've only just had a look at this post and from my experience, these sort of "seats" are totally useless. They either slide all over the place or tip up. Utter pants.

I must say Jim i do enjoy reading your posts..:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D..Straight to the point..:D:D:D:D...On a serious note ive found a big beany type carp un hooking mat to be just the job but like anything that is not off the ground they are useless if the ground is wet and your asking for piles..:D:D:D

I must say Jim i do enjoy reading your posts..:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D..Straight to the point..:D:D:D:D...On a serious note ive found a big beany type carp un hooking mat to be just the job but like anything that is not off the ground they are useless if the ground is wet and your asking for piles..:D:D:D

Thanks, Craig, I do like to inject a bit of humour, with a heartfelt undertone. By the way, Steve Parton does market a "pile buster" seat, see flyschool1 (or Sparton Tackle.

If I were to approach a concept like this I'd aim at producing a basic version and deluxe version.

I'd maybe concentrate on the basic version initially in order to generate revenue for producing a deluxe version (if revenue was an issue that is). That way over time you'd cover whatever market was out there. Should one be more successful than the other, then naturally I'd market that idea heavily and maybe even consider some kind of hybrid in the future.

Personally these chairs are of no use to me but I can see that they could be useful to rovers on the odd occasion. Good luck with it Martin. It's good to see someone get up of their backside and do something like this.

just been googling to find a roving seat and got a link back here. just thinking a big enough pocket at the back for a sandwich/tackle box and a webbing bottle holder would be nice on the deluxe. many times i spent hours fish watching from an unhooking mat feeling hungry and thirsty with a back ache because i didn't want to carry extra bags. being able to use the side supports as shoulder straps, like a rucksack might be an idea too;)

The Chairman on Monday

Just a thought.

Might it be time for a "Vintage Marco-Dragon Doo-Dah" thread in which lots of misty-eyed gents reminisce about the "the classics" and "the great generation", the M-D D-D reels made before, say, October 2010...?

An Owners Club, too? Definitely an Annual Conclave / Convention with a number of my L.G.'s present...

Just a thought.

As ever,

B.B.

The Chairman on Monday

Just a thought.

Might it be time for a "Vintage Marco-Dragon Doo-Dah" thread in which lots of misty-eyed gents reminisce about the "the classics" and "the great generation", the M-D D-D reels made before, say, October 2010...?

An Owners Club, too? Definitely an Annual Conclave / Convention with a number of my L.G.'s present...

Just a thought.

As ever,

B.B.

Dash it! I have just posted in the wrong blasted thread!

As ever,

B.B.

:D:D:D:rolleyes:

have used gardeners kneeling mat for more years than i care to remember - just make sure you put damp side down - can be bought in d.i.y.stores and garden centres for two or three quid

Back