• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Stalker Roving Seat (bum buddy)

Could you have included a larger rear pocket which actually protrudes from the back rest? (ie similar to the Shimano stalker seat)

Also the inclusion of a Velcro strap to hold the chair closed while in transport would be good.

I am not criticising, just offering some input.

Looks good so far.

Tom.

Hi Martyn, what sort of price do you have in mind for this seat?

cheers

Mike

Tom, we did consider that but just found that everytime we sat up the chair would fall backwards, a real pain. Emptying the pocket in every swim isn`t too good an idea! A fully opening (on a flap) pocket just means that all your gear is behind you! Also, production costs would go through the roof which just increases the price! There is a velcro strap to hold the seat closed by the way!

It was like the Arctic outside today so the pictures were just rattled off as quick as possible!

Mike, we have costings for the seat but as yet haven`t finalised anything. We`re waiting to see just how they perform before making any alterations which may affect the final price. Sorry I can`t be more specific at the moment.

Last edited:
It will be interesting to see how it stands up to some abuse from one of the larger anglers who frequent these boards:D:D

Nothing personal Martin but I'll stick with my original Nash Bum Buddy, I like the pockets. I think you are missing an opportunity to create a truly versatile piece of angling luggage here, yours looks like any one of the stadium seats
available from numerous outlets for a few quid and will be sharing the market place with them.

http://www.shop4it.biz/s~q-stadium_seats.aspx

Last edited:
It was never going to look completely different to a stadium seat Adrian, but the pegging points are a big plus. Martyn, are you using closed-cell foam as used, for example, in the original Karrimats? I currently use a piece to sit on which conveniently fits into the back of my rucksack and provides extra protection when carrying it. I look forward to the testers' reports.

Ade. I have too got a nash bum buddy. There is a small pocket on side of this one. Martyn has pass one off these on to me to test one out. So I can tell how they fair to the other bum buddy I have use.

Looks nice Mart, but the problem again, as with pretty much all seats, is its only good on a level surface.

Rhys.

I find if you roll your unhooking mat up and place it under the front of the seat it provides enough support on all but the steepest banks.

Looks nice Mart, but the problem again, as with pretty much all seats, is its only good on a level surface.

...which is why I've purchased a folding shovel for this year's campaign.

Last edited:
I have a bum buddy ,and can honestly say its awful,certainly not the answer

Yes its light,but on flat banks it is really difficult to get up from.
Its ,light,but so is a paper bag .
Would I want to take it on a long session ,errr no .
does it give much support ,well not in my opinion.
On a wet day ,or in long grass its rubbish.

A proper lightweight chair with adjustable legs ,like my green mesh korum one can go on any bank,is easily carried ,and is perfect for the job.
Other companies are copying it now,so that's the finest compliment.

When you are an ageing,18 stone honeymonster ,bum buddies are the answer,and I suspect as most on here are not in the first flush of youth ,or too many pies have passed the lips,not to say pints ,you will be in the same boat.

oh,yeah,and unhooking mats ,well they get wet and slimey,luvvely then !

I'm a big fan of these seats/beer mats and was looking forward to seeing the prototype but now I've seen it I can't say I'm overly impressed. The one I've got is about 2" thick per cushion with a large pocket on the back and its got about four d rings which I use to clip on my unhooking mat. The one in the picture gives me no reason to swap it which I was hoping it would. Think its best to be honest before your left with a warehouse full of them.

I have a bum buddy ,and can honestly say its awful,certainly not the answer

Yes its light,but on flat banks it is really difficult to get up from.
Its ,light,but so is a paper bag .
Would I want to take it on a long session ,errr no .
does it give much support ,well not in my opinion.
On a wet day ,or in long grass its rubbish.

A proper lightweight chair with adjustable legs ,like my green mesh korum one can go on any bank,is easily carried ,and is perfect for the job.
Other companies are copying it now,so that's the finest compliment.

When you are an ageing,18 stone honeymonster ,bum buddies are the answer,and I suspect as most on here are not in the first flush of youth ,or too many pies have passed the lips,not to say pints ,you will be in the same boat.

oh,yeah,and unhooking mats ,well they get wet and slimey,luvvely then !

Chris, if you want to part with your bum buddy pass it my way.
Tbh mate I don't think any of these things are designed for the larger angler, nor are they designed to be a replacement for a decent seat on a long static session. I tend to use mine for roving sessions on the Teme and to a lesser extent on the Severn. The large pocket holds spare clothes, poncho, a flask and a walkers wallet with a few tackle bits, the mesh pocket holds a bit of bait and my permits. On flat banks it is tricky to get out of but those of us who are a bit smaller and a bit nimbler don't have too much trouble.
As for unhooking mats I only carry mine to appease the barbel police so it rarely gets wet, if I cant unhook the fish in the water I prefer to place them on some cool damp grass rather than, as I often see, an unhooking mat which has been baking in the sun for a couple of hours.

As a final point regarding comfort, I find it's good for around half an hour, on a roving session that's long enough in one swim anyway.

Last edited:
Nothing personal Martin but I'll stick with my original Nash Bum Buddy, I like the pockets. I think you are missing an opportunity to create a truly versatile piece of angling luggage here, yours looks like any one of the stadium seats
available from numerous outlets for a few quid and will be sharing the market place with them.

http://www.shop4it.biz/s~q-stadium_seats.aspx

Adrian, just been having a look through the link you posted and have found a couple that look pretty good.

I currently have a cheap one from Go Outdoors that is great; the downside is the small pocket on the back.
I was hoping that this one being designed and manufactured would solve my problems but in reality it doesn’t offer me anything that I don’t already have.

Ideally I want one with a big enough pocket that will house everything I need for roving sessions.

If you can live with an American football teams name across it or one in real tree then these below could work well dependant on the price of shipping.

http://www.shop4it.biz/p~p-48087608~Nfl-Saints-Stadium-Seat.aspx

http://www.unbeatablesales.com/ilab010.html?mr:referralID=725dc575-2c9f-11e0-b21a-001b2166c2c0

The one above even has a thermal compartment for 15 cans of drink!

Tom.

Adrian, If you want something to store loads of gear in, why not get a rucsack? A seat such as the one that is being developed is never going to be able to carry everything, so it's best left for what it's designed for....i.e. sitting on.

Martyn, there'll be a market for what you've designed. Not everyone fishes in swims that will take a chair and for those of us having to create a spot to fish, on steeply sloping banks, it will certainly fit the bill.

OK i've no interest in one as i'd never get up out of it :D.

Just thinking outside the box here. Why not develop the design a little further and have a pocket that is removable by zip. It could even be sold with or without the pocket (price adjusted accordingly) but both seats have the zip so that the pocket could be bought as an option later...hell even different size pockets could be offered.

Just my opinion and hope its constructive.

Cheers

Adie

...or designed so that it could attach to, for example, the back of a Korum Ruckbag or similar, so that hands can be freed to carry rod and landing net.

Back