• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

somerley estate

For further clarification, don't forget that the lease was not just for the river (including Lifelands, although that hasn't generated much revenue of late) but also Somerley Lakes (Meadow & Kingvincents), Mockbeggar and Hamer (trout). It also included the salmon rights on the river.

So, apart from the members who joined just for Somerley (as Dave T has pointed out), we have the salmon rods (who were paying over £250 - £300 each for the privilege), the trout anglers (including those who paid the additional £20 to fish the trout stream and carriers) as well as the day ticket revenues from Meadow and Lifelands. On top of this is the revenue generated by the sale of night fishing permits on Meadow and Mockbeggar. With around 60 salmon members and perhaps 500 members who might join just for the ability to fish the river on the Estate, you have almost covered the full rental for all the Somerley waters. Even if you reduce the number who join just for Somerley, you still have the ticket sales to factor in, so it is not that difficult to see how Somerley might pay for itself.

As for Spinnaker, all that I can say is that this is now almost certainly a water that costs the Club money, as the Committee's desperation to retain it (and not lose another water, especially its prime specimen water) led us to offer too much for the new lease. Mockbeggar has the potential to become a very good water (the roach in there are pristine and run to a very good size) but is massively overstocked with small to medium sized common carp and needs serious work to remove these to allow the remaining stock to grow on/be supplemented with larger fish (there are 50s reputedly) from Ibsley Water (otherwise known as the Inland Sea!)

Dave

With all these waters being lost, presumably there will be a massive reduction in the annual membership subscription fees? The Spinnaker anglers will be laughing if they get it for £70 a year.

Re marketing, you would now need to do a whole lot better than the odd "where to fish" column in a weekly paper. Remember "Passion For Angling" and "Catching The Impossible"? That's the sort of thing I'm talking about. How about incentivising the members to publicise their captures of specimen fish from CAC waters?

I see a news item has finally been posted on the CAC website. It still doesn't specifically confirm the loss of the water (at the end of this year) but focusses primarily on the process of the lease negotiations. As long as things are done by the book.........

Never mind the outcome then provided that you can prove that you did things 'properly'...........!!!

Not sure how the membership will see that!!

Dave

Dave,mockbeggar was a joke why did the club pay between 13,000 and 15,000 pounds for six months fishing and members couldn't even look at the water before getting one of the limited tickets for it.I did hear the other party involved for mockbeggar offered 7,000 for the lease so who were the fools.

I feel really sorry for you guys that are going to lose the opportunity to fish this beautiful stretch of river.

The couple of times I have been there I have marvelled at the stunning scenery and the varied swims that are available. 5 or so years ago I spent more time watching some stunning barbel and cracking chub picking up the freebies I had thrown in the water, so much so that I pretty much forgot to fish!

One question that comes to mind. Did the decision maker/s river fish or prefer the ease of lake fishing?

Graham

How many members do you think it attracts Neil? Do you think it is value for money, always a difficult one to answer I guess,..just like the river.

I would guess Spinnaker attracts between 10-20 real hardcore carp anglers, who fish it on a very regular basis, attempting to catch the low stock of fairly big and good-looking carp, in what is quite a large expanse of water. It is made more difficult by out of bounds areas and other rulings, giving the capture of these carp more kudos among this hardcore.

A handful of tench anglers fish it early season hoping to catch the reasonably large tench carrying a bit of spawn. A 9-pounder is a good fish for Spinnaker, so I wouldn't say they are exceptionally large on a national scale. IMO it doesn't compare to Ringwood's Half Pit in its hay day, from a tench perspective.

The carp are kept "secret" by this hardcore to protect their relatively cheap fishing, but they might end up shooting themselves in the foot as a result!

My suggestion of incentivising publication of fish captures is not confined to river fish...

How many members do you think it attracts Neil? Do you think it is value for money, always a difficult one to answer I guess,..just like the river.

Hi Dave, no i meant your diction, re 'all at sea' impressive prose!!!
I have no idea about wether Spinnaker is a good use of club funds, it does generate night ticket revenue though.

Neil

Graham,it's a disgrace the way the committee old and new have let this situation happen without being open and honest they have their own agenda why,and if there is infighting in the committee the members who pay to keep the club going don't stand a chance.I've been a member of CAC for the best part of 20 yrs but with the loss of somerley will no longer renew.All the best Jamie

Hi Dave, no i meant your diction, re 'all at sea' impressive prose!!!
I have no idea about wether Spinnaker is a good use of club funds, it does generate night ticket revenue though.

Neil

Sorry Neil
As l said to Tim..l can be a bit dense at times . Might have been due to time of night and the 4 whisky macs.
Dave T:D

Last edited:
One question that comes to mind. Did the decision maker/s river fish or prefer the ease of lake fishing?

Graham

Graham,

Not sure given changes since I resigned. A member could ask on their forum (can't do it myself as I was barred from the site shortly after I resigned from the Committee) but I understand that responses to questions are almost as rare as ice cubes in hell again these days........

Dave

With all these waters being lost, presumably there will be a massive reduction in the annual membership subscription fees? The Spinnaker anglers will be laughing if they get it for £70 a year.

Tim,

I doubt that very much although it will depend on how many members walk...

As previously indicated, Somerley basically broke even for the club so a reduced membership will still have to cover the rest of the rents etc. Certainly, if the bank overdraft is to be reduced or eliminated, there is very little scope for a reduction in the current subs. If anything, unless waters are given up or sold, the subs could actually go up with significantly less water available.

Again, can't see the membership being too happy about that!!

Dave

I've been following this from afar and sympathise with the CAC members. I suspect that what was claimed in the Avon Diary 2014 rings true in many clubs across the country, especially where river fishing is concerned. Such clubs have an ageing membership as a significant proportion of newcomers to the sport are gravitating to the heavily stocked commercials where they are guaranteed to catch. To be honest we don't help the situation ourselves, talking about how good the fishing used to be, even if it is true! Listening to this is just another reason for them to opt for parking behind their peg, eating breakfast in the on-site-tackle-shop-cum-cafe and bagging up on puddle-pigs. Be honest, how many youngsters are happy to soak up the tranquility of the countryside whilst blanking? I digress. My point is that in many of the countries ageing clubs, the pool of willing volunteers is rapidly diminishing and it is left to a hardcore of enthusiasts who are getting little thanks and probably beginning to think twice before giving up their time to clear banks, rebuild stiles, repair footpaths etc. This appears to be one of the underlying issues as to why the Somerley fishing has been lost. I for one will be sending a copy of the section of the above Diary to the members of my club, to highlight what might happen in the future if they don't put a shift in!

I can't comment on the CAC membership, but we do live in a society where an ever-increasing number of people want something for nothing and it reminds me of that poem....

Everybody, Somebody, Nobody, and Anybody

Once upon a time there were four people: Their names were Everybody, Somebody, Nobody, and Anybody. Whenever there was an important job to do Everybody was sure that Somebody would do it. Anybody could have done it, but Nobody did it. When Nobody did it, Everybody got angry because it was Everybody’s job. Everybody thought Somebody would do it, but Nobody realized that Nobody would do it. So consequently Everybody blamed Somebody when Nobody did what Anybody could have done in the first place.

On a different note (but related as you'll see) my sister moved to Hampshire a number of years ago and whilst visiting I took the opportunity to fish a local stillwater. I did my research on the web and opted for Sway Lakes. I had one of those red letter days you never forget, with a PB common carp, witnessed by the owners son. I said to him, "I can't wait to come back next year" to which he replied "You won't be able to....as it's becoming a syndicate". When he explained the reasons (litter, loutish behaviour, abuse etc) I could understand his viewpoint: less hassle for his family and a guaranteed income. I fear that many of our best fisheries across the length and breadth of our country will fall to such syndication and become the preserve of the few, and by definition, usually the well-off. Once lost it will be difficult to regain them, especially with club memberships and bank accounts diminishing.

For those of you in CAC, I wish you well and hope that what appears to be a dire situation can be overcome.

I would John but have had no access to the CAC forum since last July and my membership is currently suspended, pending a disciplinary next week.

I wholehearedly support the campaign and would be prepared to help, as best I can, in securing the future of the Club, but my hands are tied at present.

It will be a massive task to turn the Club around but it can, and must, be done for the benefit of the membership.

Dave

I know your heart is truly with the club and its members Dave.
All the best with your disciplinary next week.

Regards John

Why was your membership suspended Dave?

The CAC committee have recently added the following post to their website home page via a link 'Website and Forum use' -> (Dave may have fallen foul of this - I don't know).

"The Committee, who are all unpaid volunteers, appreciate that emotive subjects such The Somerley Lease do generate strong opinions on the Forum, however this does not mean that the sort of posts that are currently being seen in which individual members of the Comittee are singled out for abuse are acceptable . The Forum was created for like minded anglers to share their experiences , it seems now that a few members are using it as a soapbox to berate the Committee. Any club member has the right to attend a Committee meeting and raise his or her concerns or questions directly to the Committee , the office door is open and the phone number is on the website. Lorraine will happily take your details. The Committee have taken the decision that any future posts of a personal nature will be removed."
Best keep anything personal over here! They seem a sensitive bunch.

Why was your membership suspended Dave?

For "bringing the Committee into disrepute" by saying that exactly what has happened would happen and accusing the Committee of acting in bad faith towards the membership by not letting them know the position at a time when the vast majority of the memberships were due for renewal. The Estate had issued their take it or leave it ultimatum in November before the December year end renewals had been issued and the Committee knew that they would not accept the deal that was on the table.

For whatever reason, the Committee, led by the Chairman, had decided that they did not want to pay the rent demanded (which had previously been agreed by the Committee before Ian May came back on board) and that the Club would be better off without the Somerley waters. Beggars belief is all I can say........ Cut out the heart of the Club and expect the corpse to survive.... what can I say

Dave

Back