• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

somerley estate

I can't see how it can be proved that the club broke even with Somerley as like Tim says, it seems hardly fished.
How is it that the club were not able to look at what was happening elsewhere in the market? Woefully under marketed if you ask me.

Many thanks David.We still await a response from the Chairman or any committee member to answer to the club membership.We live in hope.

Dave C.
Miss your swift replies on the CAC forum, and was dissapointed at your departure,.thankyou
for filling in another piece of this miserable jigsaw.
Regards..Dave T.

I can't see how it can be proved that the club broke even with Somerley as like Tim says, it seems hardly fished.
How is it that the club were not able to look at what was happening elsewhere in the market? Woefully under marketed if you ask me.

Damian,
I wonder how many permits were sold to tourists like myself who only join because of Somerley, but hardly ever fish it,...counting bums on baskets does not always equate it's worth to the club. I agree that without a survey of members it is impossible to prove.
Dave T

It's not just ex committee members that might rally to help the club if that were to happen John.

If the rental figure that I've heard that CAC are paying for Somerley is correct, combined with the current membership, the numbers wouldn't seem to stack up to me.

A large stillwater on the club book that is fished by a very small number of hardcore carp anglers seems even poorer value for the general membership, on the face of it.

I can easily see how the committee are currently faced with some difficult choices. Could Somerley have been shared with another club perhaps, to split the costs?

Get me off the rivers Neil and I'm all at sea!!
Edit...Blimey how many pups have we got in the club then!

Last edited:
How many members do you think it attracts Neil? Do you think it is value for money, always a difficult one to answer I guess,..just like the river.

I think he means Spinnaker Dave not Mockbeggar

You're right, I did mean Spinnaker Neil.

I'd like to point out that just because I'm primarily a river angler is not the reason I'm mentioning a stillwater. I did an early season on Spinnaker after the tench a while back, and it is a water I might want to fish again.

The club appears to be in crisis and so surely drastic measures need to be taken. Several river venues also seem to represent poor value inasmuch as very few members seem to want to fish them, for example Dudmoor, Avon Tyrell, and Winkton.

I would have thought that a fairly simple survey would reveal the true cost of a member's day's fishing on each of the club's venues. That is, the total annual cost of the venue minus any income, divided by the total member days fished. Having made these value calculations, and being faced with having to lose a venue, surely you would get rid of the worst value one first.

I don't know how Somerley would fare in a value calculation?!

Tim,
Given that I can be a bit dense at times, .. would not that survey depend on the amount of days a member fished on club waters throughout a season? ie, if I payed 160 odd quid and fished 10 days, each of those days that I fished would be worth more than a local's who fished 50 days? That was my point about out of towners being difficult to factor into the mix, as CAC has always had quite a few on it's books...until now I suppose!
Last time I looked Avon Tyrell and Dudmoor had already got the chop.

Dave T

Last edited:
Tim,
Given that I can be a bit dense at times, .. would not that survey depend on the amount of days a member fished on club waters throughout a season? ie, if I payed 160 odd quid and fished 10 days, each of those days that I fished would be worth more than a local's who fished 50 days? That was my point about out of towners being difficult to factor into the mix, as CAC has always had quite a few on it's books...until now I suppose!
Last time I looked Avon Tyrell and Dudmoor had already got the chop.

Dave T

No, I don't see how the number of times an individual member fishes per year would affect the value calculations. All it means is that you're paying more than most for a day's fishing.

The point you made about only joining to fish Somerley (however infrequently you do it) is valid, though factoring it in would overcomplicate the issue I think.

Before giving a venue the chop, you would need to consider if anything could easily be done to increase its popularity. I don't really understand why Rockford is so much more popular than Spinnaker, for example. But then, I don't really understand carp fishing!

Last edited:
It was under marketed Tim! I stopped buying the weeklies a few years back but regularly read them whilst out shopping. Their appearance in the weeklies seemed to have almost come to a stop after Pete's departure!
I recommended that the club introduce a two tier system ie. premium/standard into the fisheries that they run so that they can alleviate any problem present by disproportionate rates/usage.
I would have been perfectly happy to have paid another £30 a season to fish the Somerley!
How much do people pay these days to fish some of the waters (to have become syndicates) that were relinquished by CEMEX? Wasing? Teme?

Last edited:
Brian Gay is always plugging Christchurch waters in the Angers Mail, and whenever there is an article on clubs they invariably have a picture of a Christchurch book.

Oops, I've been poaching have I?
No wonder you thought it was underfished Tim!:D

Agree about the marketing points.
I remember it was a twin page spread, either in one of the weeklys or a mag. on Manor Farm by Tony Miles that tempted me and 6 or 7 other mates to join the club 15 odd years ago....bl**dy nightmare of course if it happens to be your fav. local water!:eek:
This will probaly be something of a watershed for the club whatever happens to Somerley.
Dave T

Back