• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Selfish?

After walking the dogs this evening I'm off with a mate to drop into our prebaited swim on the Thames which has seen over the past 3 weeks in the region of 250 kilos of mixed particles and a 'few' boilies... On a river as big as the Thames with such a relatively low population of carp let alone barbel compared to the bream, roach and chub stocks, is this selfish or being prepared to put in the extra effort time and expense to tip the odds in our favour?

Good luck mate. However, I may be forced to call you selfish unless you tell me where your pre-baited swims are! :D :D

I'm off to the W.Avon this evening and I haven't pre-baited at all. I'm squeaky clean (and lazy)! :D

Colin,
You would be right, I have never used 3kg of bait a day in my life. I dont need to and I fish a big river with a far greater head of fish than the Middle Severn. It still seems inconsiderate to me.

Sam, what goes in a strech is not quite the same as what goes in 1 swim.

Its just plain stupid to me but as I said, just my opinion.

Fairplay to you Tony, at least you practice what you preach.:)

As if I where to use maggots on a big river like the Severn or Trent and I was catching steadily all day, I'd expect to use at least 4-5 pints, wonder how much they'd weigh?;)

Ah but I bet it ain't too far short. Around my way they tend to come in maize flour and cos I throw it in at the end of the maggots lives, it therefore must count.:)

Anyone know a rough weight for a pint of maggots??

Last edited:
We cant afford maize ooop north and sawdust floats so doesnt count at all.

Given that maggots will be nearly all water, If you were to liquidise a load and had 2 pints of liquid that would be just over a kilo. However, there is a awful lot of air in a pint of maggots.

So I say over 7 pints at least for 3 kilos.

With that, and seeing as Im right again, I will go to the river to celebrate now, see ya. :)

Last edited:
Pre-baiting nearly always gets good results in terms of numbers and size of fish caught. It worked for Richard Walker, works for Terry Hearn, and so it's good enough for me! Fair play if you put the effort in I say.

If I lived near to the Loddon where I choose to angle, I would be down there every other night dropping in bait in a few choice spots. Not over feeding, but none the less putting in enough quality bait that fish come to recognise a good food source without getting caught on it for a while. I'm talking about boilies of good quality.

The quantity going in sounds absolutely fine for the size of river. If it was all pellets then there would probably be an issue.

Just turned up at the river to find bivies set up in swims but no anglers or actual fishing tackle to be seen!!! Now THAT is selfish.

Fair play if they want to turn up early and secure a swim, but sticking a bivvy up god knows when and f**king off home is pathetic.

Each to his own, saw a very amusing result of someone not quite doing it right last season. A couple of friends turned up at a very popular swim ,midday on the15th, around6pm a barrow load appeared, complete with camoued up carpy type. He went into an absolute fit at finding "his"swim taken, the tirade went on for ages, then his mate turned up and dragged him away. We just laughed, he had apparently been chucking in a lot of bait over 4/5weeks, and in the most well known barbel swim in the area, and just expected to find it empty, ****.
My friends caught just one bream over the next 24hrs, it doesn,t always work!!!!!!!
peter

Just turned up at the river to find bivies set up in swims but no anglers or actual fishing tackle to be seen!!! Now THAT is selfish.

Fair play if they want to turn up early and secure a swim, but sticking a bivvy up god knows when and f**king off home is pathetic.

I agree, that's about as selfish as you can get. They should have their bivvies taken down (ooh err) and have their wotsits removed (permits, that is). Bloody disgusting. Can you not report them to the club?

Hi Tony.

Yeah this sort of thing happens all over now days unfortunately, however its ashame you don't know [Perhaps you do;)] the location of this idiots antics, because the best thing to do is to fish the spot with a quality single hookbait boily, and reel them in, cheaper to you in the long run, gets you the results you want, makes other idiots think twice in doing it the next time, and works for me fine!!

All the best to your start Tony......but also what you've highlighted is the very reason I don't start till around mid to late July, when everyone else has buggered off because they are not catching!

Julian, may I be so bold as to ask what harm this pre-baiting campaign is doing too anyone?

I don't know the actual stretch in question but I do know its a big river with a high biomass of fish, moreover larger fish; barbel, chub and seemingly carp.
Add to that Jeremy Evans clearly states its a stretch that recieves very little angling attension, especially the actual area being baited.

Bivvys left on there own Ebay me thinks!

GERMANS:mad:

On small rivers it's often the kiss of death. I would think a huge amount would need to be put in the Severn to kill off the fishing. On the Thames it would be a very brave move to bait heavily as the crays would move in in droves. On the other hand it may be the only way to get big fish to move in and hopefully push the signals out.

Last year Tony Miles wrote in an article, in CAT I think, where he said the river bed on one river (not sure which, possibly the Kennet) was white with rotted, uneaten pellets and boilies. So it is obvious that a lot of thought and consideration for other anglers and the fish needs to go in to any form of prebaiting. It is entirely dependent on the river in question.

100kg into one swim on the longest river in our country..................

I can`t see a problem with that.

How on earth can something I do to relax and escape from the stress of modern living, cause so much anger and stress? Roll on autumn!

I shall be out on Sunday....
Lob in half a dozen 2 oz feeders full of goodies and start fishing !!!!
I am not clever/experienced enough as an angler to even think about pre baiting...( apart from the 15 minutes or so before I start fishing !!!)... just dopa bait in, relax and enjoy being by the river!!!!
To me, it really isn't all about the catching (which is probably lucky!!!!) more the being there...but I admit I am a bit old school in that respect!
If parts of our river beds really are strewn with rotting boilies/pellets, then I would think something is not right somewhere, and perhaps some of us need to have a bit of a rethink ?

Back