• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Selfish?

Why do you think "dabbling" means surface only Colin? They upend.... but dont dive much and I trust Rich and Jez were not baiting in 12 ins of water, that would be really silly.

Look,..... I dont happen to think that filling a peg in for 6 weeks prior to the season starting is ok. thats it, nothing else. Some dont agree with me, thats fine. Some do and thats fine too.
But you are going on and on with pointless twaddle and its dull and Im not interested.

Last edited:
Mallards are very good divers, trust me the little beggars give me grief in several feet of water. Not as good as coots or Tufties though.

Oh yes they bloody well are!

If I'm not VERY careful about making sure they're not around when baiting the lake I'm on, they'll quite happily dive down to 8 ft noooooo problem whatsoever.

And they don't scare off as easily as Coots and Tufties. Not until you hook them, that is. :rolleyes:

Tone just out of interest are you going to be fishing the area in question the next couple weeks ? If not then it's more than a bit sad you're so bothered about it.

Don't you worry Sam, Tony will be out there somewhere 'bagging a boris':D:D:D:D

Why do you think "dabbling" means surface only Colin? They upend.... but dont dive much and I trust Rich and Jez were not baiting in 12 ins of water, that would be really silly.

Look,..... I dont happen to think that filling a peg in for 6 weeks prior to the season starting is ok. thats it, nothing else. Some dont agree with me, thats fine. Some do and thats fine too.
But you are going on and on with pointless twaddle and its dull and Im not interested.

The somewhat amusing irony of this post certainly has eluded you. "Pointless twaddle" and arguing the toss as to what "dabbling" means ain't pointless?
But in keeping with your pathetic level of pedantry; my interpretation of a dabbling bird being, they feed on or around the surface layer of water and in doing so splash.
As I suggested Mallards certainly DO dive down on anglers baits, in fact there are several posts on this thread offering anecdotal evidence to corroberate this.

Tony, just stop digging because as I said earlier. Rightly or wrongly many (myself included) perceive your motives for this thread as being less than genuine..

Oh yes they bloody well are!

If I'm not VERY careful about making sure they're not around when baiting the lake I'm on, they'll quite happily dive down to 8 ft noooooo problem whatsoever.

And they don't scare off as easily as Coots and Tufties. Not until you hook them, that is. :rolleyes:

Many years ago, fishing Cassien and baiting up quite heavily with tigers and boilies, I was amazed at just how deep mallard will dive. They cleared up a big bed of bait in impressive time and, as Simon noted, are not easily scared off. That was the first time I had come across diving mallards. I think it is somehting they soon learn when they recognise the benefits of a good boilie!

Bloomin eck Chris, thats a new one. It never ceases to amaze me how critters learn to adapt to take advantage of new opportunities. Please tell me you haven't seen swans diving yet...that really would do it for me :D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I think it was an evasion technique as it had my hook in its wing feathers!:mad:

I've seen Canada geese do it during fights, when one is getting particularly harassed by a more dominant male.

Ducks dive a lot and to a reasonable depth, as already stated. I'm sure one on my local lake is related to Jacques Cousteau. :)

I've seen a mole swim across a flooded river. And I've heard mallard ducks swearing! I'm not allowed to tell you what they were saying though!

Chris,
I once saw a mole swimming too, and one evening I saw a rabbit jump into the river off a wall to escape a fox, it swam fine.

i saw a black mink having a fight with a big eel, the eel won and got away!
best thing i've seen, you can keep the boxing.

Back