• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach

Cracking roach Mark. Looks like essox has tried to catch it before you sometime.

Im back on the Test for a day soon and hope to add to my tally.

Had couple Britford days already with a 1.11 and 1.10 so far .

Be back there in few weeks for couple days session.

Great fishing proper way.

Graham.
Ps.take me there!

Nice going Mark!
After I failed (again) to catch a barbel yesterday got me thinking about the roach....great conditions at the mo.
Love getting the float rod out.
Well done mate.

Hi Steve. Im going 16th with some fm guys.Yes you had some cracking roach.

I'll keep u info when Britford planned. You poor working people!

Graham

Really funny today. Trotting the Thames and lifting out a 4oz dace.

A pike launched itself 2-3 ft out of the water snaffling the dace in mid air!

Landed it 5lbish.

Similar thing happened to me when using a fly spinner for perch on Earlswood Lakes many moons ago,..makes you jump does'nt it !:eek:

Really funny today. Trotting the Thames and lifting out a 4oz dace.

A pike launched itself 2-3 ft out of the water snaffling the dace in mid air!

Landed it 5lbish.

I was waggler fishing once and was totally immersed in the solitude. as i lifted a 4-6oz roach out a good pike also launched 2-3ft out of water - nearly lined my pants…….:mad:

Frightened the life out of me I can tell you. But made me laugh out loud.

I was amazed it actually snaffled it. I had another pike around 8lb take 2 other fish. One just hung around under my feet for a good time.
If it had been big one would have had a go.

Another week or so back on the Test hoping for another 2lber

Graham

Didn't manage a 2lber friday but best two 1.14 and 1.13 along with about 6 more over the lb and about 6 more. Beautiful deep bodied fish.

Lots of grayling and dace and two chub but..................the trout were an absolute nightmare.. Must have had about 30 of them up to about 6lb with about 3lb average size and I have the bitten fingers to prove it.

At one time there were about 12 picking up every caster that went in. I reckon this was the reason the roach never settled.

And a very enjoyable next day in the company of a BFM member who guested me on the Avon. Just a couple of roach and loads dace, gudgeon and salmon parr. But a beautiful place to be treated to, Thanks R.

Graham

Why is it when you find some massive roach they are living in an area you cannot get a bait to and will not move,one fish i saw looked a 3 plus. What an impossible swim ,oh the frustration of big roach when the water level is low/clear. They are obviously happy where they are,cannot be fished for from above and so far up under a snag that you cannot get to them from below.I hope when the water comes up they will move somewhere they can be caught,more likely they will vanish,blooming fish,ha ha.

Once the water is coloured up a little, they'll venture forth. They most probably do at night already, they have to eat. Most of my best roach have come under the cover of darkness.

Steve
Banks are a bit muddy.
Squillions of minnows (we need a big frost)
Friday - the river was sock on. A bit of rubbish but nothing too bad. I guess all this rain will push it up, best to ring Stewart.

I had this on Friday, couldn't quite shake the scales from the 1-15 to 2lb though.

What a beautiful sight, glorious Dave.

Steve, I think you'll be greeted by a dirty angry river. Good luck anyway, they do like the rising waters. (lob worm tail?)

The main carrier should be ok, most of it gets run down the old river when its high.If you find yourself up the top try the navigation some very large roach used to sneak into it when the main river floods,or main carrier between the old river and the Eel traps,that area can be slower with a lot of water on, and the fish drop into it.Nice young looking Roach Dave,one for the future.

Mark watched with Stuart one day a dozen 2+ in the navigation.

The main carrier after the old river run off 3 weeks ago was solid weed and suspect may still be simiar but if I can find a gap......

For the first time may head dstream from the lower cp to explore a bit. Im hoping if we can find them they may be shoaled up...

Pm me if any suggestions! !!!!

Graham

Back