• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Roach

Thanks Mark. Appreciated.

Managed three roach best 1.8 but hard going. 1 dace!!! Normally you cant stop catching them here.

2 chub and 2 grayling.... and what is probably 10 times harder than catching a 2lb roach at Britford a 9lb barbel hooked in the nose. Thought it was a salmon or seatrout at first. . All trotting.

Steve did me by 1 oz with a 1.9 roach. Overall tough day..

Challenging and tricky fishing but a great time was had as always.
Stuart went out of his way to put us on a few fish on the second day.....top man!
And then there was the one that got away......;)

Graham ,i seem to remember Trevor west saying if they were hooked within an inch or so of the mouth (or was it 4 inches)they all count,the nose sounds close enough,Ha Ha. Was the Barbel from the old river ? sounds like a scrap on the light gear with the heavy flow.

I can't really count it Mark but I think Trefor counted all his customers fish as his as well ( smiley)

Yes quite a battle, upstream 100 yards from car park house.

However the battle of the day must go to Steve who hooked something that stripped him of 80 yards line without stopping while he ran after it till a tree stopped him going further.
By all accounts Stu the baliff was laughing his head off.

Stu thought barbel. I wonder.

That was old river.

I ignored advice and went to footie pitch area (you know).... and failed.

It was great to introduce a couple of bfw guys to the water despite the thick mud on the ground.

Yeah GE.
Stuart was laughing while the fish was emptying my centrepin under as much pressure as i dared. I still suspect a Carp......we may never know.
In 40 years of angling i have never hooked a fish like that......

All good fun :D

Yes quite a battle, upstream 100 yards from car park house.

However the battle of the day must go to Steve who hooked something that stripped him of 80 yards line without stopping while he ran after it till a tree stopped him going further.
By all accounts Stu the baliff was laughing his head off.

Stu thought barbel. I wonder.

Nah, deffo carp. I've had similar encounters whilst playing big fish, them trees just don't budge,

Anyways, roach - I intend to try and find some a little larger than this tomorrow.
2013-14 Samsung, incl 60th celbrations 142.jpg

Possibly a big sea trout or salmon,they do tend to be in the river this time of year.

I tend to agree with Mark. There were quite a few about last week.

When searching for roach, on small rivers, I try and ignore the winding feature-filled areas and head for the widest, non-descript lengths.

Just had a weeks roach fishing on Ebro near Mequeninza for roach. Total of 9 over 2lb, biggest 2lb 11oz., cracking fishing.

Graham or Steve ,did you stay down overnight and if so where did you stay, I am possibly looking for a couple of days.

Hi Mark.
We stayed at the Bull Downton.

Cheap and ok for just beer and accom for fishermen.

Stu says he knows another place.

If its the week after this one I may be down as well.

Graham

Thanks,have 8 days off and am trying to work out how many days i can fish without the missus complaining.Used to stay in the house next the car park,Stuarts old next door neighbour, but do not know if she still does B and B.

Hi Mark,
Stu reckons The Ship in Fordingbridge is good, they'll do a packed luch too. £30 i think, if you call, mention you're fishing.
I'll be back down soon i hope...

Good luck.

Steve

I used to stay with a lovely couple in Fordingbridge, he was a keen angler and bred parrots. Must be twenty years ago now though. Always a warm welcome, good facilities and grub. Someone on here most probably knows, especially if they fish the Hants Avon.

First visit to Britford today- a very rare full days fishing so had to take whatever weather I was confronted with. Fished with Mr Double who nailed the dace. Smaller mixed bag for me but was delighted to get a few bites given it was -4 on arrival at 8am. I was quite taken with the place and it looked quite pretty as the light faded.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    92.8 KB · Views: 267
Hi men ,

We honeymooned in Breamore in 1976 , well woodgreen really . We was lucky as we see the Bull at Downton in it's glory !. There was stuffed fish everywhere , a sawdust public bar , and some famous characters in there , including some filmed by Hugh Miles ;) . We returned for old times sake and drove past it :eek: , never recognised the place , but it's a comfy place to stay I suppose . We also stayed the the Bat & Bull just down stream , loved it , but it was winter and we froze :D . It used to do daytickets where Sue plundered the chub , and I caught pike in the slack water !. We used to lean on the bridge there , throwing ( genuinely ) Madeira cake into the safe weir pool for the chub , and see some dream roach amongst them .

Hatter

Howard, i know that spot well ,many years ago my father showed us how to catch some 'uncatchable' trout in the pool on the point. Behind where you took the photo by the side of the Eel traps are now just depressions in the ground but back in the 1970's used to be a small trout farm ran by the old bailiff Stan Copperthwaite.One year they were vandalised the trout escaped into the river.The trout in that pool were unusual in that they had been caught and fished for many times and became very careful.My father caught then by laying on overdepth and as the loosfeed came through, lifting the hook bait off the bottom into it,three anglers fished for them before him and all caught nothing,that day my Father was like a fishing god to a small boy.

What impressed me about the place was the assistance provided by the keepers. We were met in the car park by Charlie (?) first thing who kindly walked the banks with us and gave us some good pointers to get us started. Later, Stuart arrived with more advice. And a large, loaded shotgun. Thinking quickly, I said it was Steve that had dropped the sausage roll wrapper.

Back