• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pre-baiting

You really don't know Jacksh!t Nick, have a dig at anyone you like , and you do but leave out the blokes who actually put their money where their mouth's are, Steve probably knows the Severn better than anyone else I know, along with Scuba, crazy comments by even you.

And I have seen the pics, just saying like.:rolleyes:

Haven't a clue what you are on about fella.

It's worth asking: if your pre-baiting technique is so well refined and successful why bother to publicise it with a thread here? :confused:

My question is even more straightforward than that. Why is it called "pre-baiting" and not just "baiting" ? When I pop to Tesco for munchies, if it's for that days munch is that "shopping" but food purchased for the next days munch, is that "pre-shopping"?

In fact, isn't pre-baiting just all the other stuff you might do before actually baiting a swim? Putting on your shoes, that's pre-baiting. Getting into the car, that's pre-baiting. Farting and then quickly winding the windows down, more pre-baiting right there. Remembering you forgot to put the bait for baiting in the car just as you arrive at the swim to be baited is yet more pre-baiting. Kicking and swearing violently at a tree. Same. Pre-baiting sounds unbelievably exhausting.

Several other anglers have posted pre baiting posts and yet I'm the only one you pick up on this.
Howard, you truly are the master.

Hi Paul
tbh mate I can't remember, these days I can't remember what I said half an hour ago,:rolleyes: anyway for me to give advice on such a thing, especially the Severn I would take with a pinch of salt.

The Severn is an enigma and doesn't play by the rules, however I do recall a certain local tackle dealer that approaches Barbel fishing like a carper, well he is anyway, and he 'filled in' a peg at Severn Stoke a few seasons back, and apparently he did very well, and when I asked how much ,£ wise it was ' at least a couple of hundred quid' in bait, now that might be a price worth paying for some but not me.

And Joe and I have discussed pre baiting so not off the scale as a possibility but £200? I don't think so.

I guess if there is a reasonable head of Barbel in the stretch then all you need to do is put down a scent trail via a feeder, but the lower has not a large head of Barbel at most times so it would be very hit and miss unless you could pull 'em down from as far as Bewdley :)

But an interesting thread nonetheless, especially with 3 barbel caught at Tewkesbury :)

I most certainly wouldn't be trying this trick down at BM Neil - The stock of Barbel just ain't there for catching improvement. IMO but you could fill ya boots with Bream

Last edited:
Too right Nick, windows up, heater on full blast and gently marinade in it. Well that's what I do if there's anyone else in the car with me !
Howard, you're right, it's just baiting up isn't it.

Nick C

Several other anglers have posted pre baiting posts and yet I'm the only one you pick up on this.
Howard, you truly are the master.

Not specifically picking anyone up on this Nick- just the term itself. Language is just funny sometimes isn't it. Like "ground bait" for example. Bait that is spread across the ground, even if quite close to a river (but not now, obviously), or a lake (that's OK) or a canal (yep, that's OK too), would serve very little purpose in my view when it comes to attracting fish or encouraging them to feed. Can you imagine the utter futility then of pre-baiting with ground bait?

Hi Neil

i know I should not post on a Friday night after a scoop Edited LOL

Where is Mr Crabtree?

Last edited:
This isn't some carp puddle mate. This is well thought out not just by me but with 58 years experience of fishing the river. Thanks for the reply though. Good luck with the small uns haha[/QUOTE said:
Nick,

With 58 years under your belt I would have expected you to have learnt that skill and watercraft will beat the pile it in approach. Trying to nail the 7ern Barbel down to a pile of bait that you can plunder on the 16th (or any other date if you are Bob James) will be a waste of time and money.

Good luck to you though, if it makes you happy.

Steve

Trying? It's been nailed two 14's and several other dubs is good enough for me. .six hundred kilos of boilies/hemp will be a new high this season and I for one reckon the record is getting smashed this season.

So yeah steve it makes me happy.

Trying? It's been nailed two 14's and several other dubs is good enough for me. .six hundred kilos of boilies/hemp will be a new high this season and I for one reckon the record is getting smashed this season.

Nick, are you serious? Over half a ton of bait? Are you just going to reverse a dumber truck down the bank and tilt the back?

Lol - what a man - he's a Barbel Ninja. Probably the funniest thing I've ever read on here.

Each to their own I suppose, personally I'd give up barbel angling if I needed to put even a 1/50th of the quantity your proposing, it wouldn't give me the slightest bit of satisfaction.

Tell me Nick, do you post this stuff in an attempt to seek approval or merely just to highlight your own incompetence as some sort of cathartic exercise ?

Joe

Last edited:
Each to their own I suppose, personally I'd give up barbel angling if I needed to put even a 1/50th of the quantity your proposing, it wouldn't give me the slightest bit of satisfaction.

Tell me Nick, do you post this stuff in an attempt to seek approval or merely just to highlight your own incompetence as some sort of cathartic exercise ?

Joe

I need no one's approval joe, and my barbel catch ledger was well scripted last year how was yours?

Howard it gets trickled in through the closed.

I need no one's approval joe, and my barbel catch ledger was well scripted last year how was yours?

Howard it gets trickled in through the closed.

So averaging around 7KG's a day then. Does that really constitute "trickled" on the Severn? May be it does, I don't know and maybe most of it will get washed well away downstream anyway....

I have never prebaited for Barbel, I get enough bother from Chub when I use a dropper :mad:

How often do you envisage visiting the river and how will you deposit the hemp in the swim?

Back