• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Pre-baiting

this is just brilliant :D:D:D

Nick. Not worth investing bait and money until after they have spawned and returned to areas of the river.

Also worth noting that an odd good fish doesn't make one an expert or even a good angler even if they think they know everything....

Hi men,

Nick , each to their own , would be a boring old world if we all did the same . My interest is in the logistics , what type of boillie are you going for ?, ie fish meal , food bait ( like grange etc ) , and how are you planning to put it in ?, as I did a quick 3 hour session today on the canal and other things suffered just to do that :D . I take it your not using frozen version ?.

Hatter

The boilie is a worm/hemp one its been very effective over the past four years of using it. Taking carp to 38 bream to 12lb chub to 7lb and of course barbel to almost 15. All river fish by the way.
I use a home made dropper and a section of aluminium poles. Its hard work on the wrists and we only go out a rod and a half really .

Er good luck in the coming season Nick. I hope your going to let us know how you get on. A good result might see you set a new trend , who knows ?

100kgs of boilies the rest is hemp.

Mr stringer im more than proficient with a camera, I just choose not to share my captures with the world via the angling press. It keeps the place I fish nice and quiet.

It can't be that quiet with half a ton of hemp going in, Nick! Hahaha. Is that just in the close season too? Wow. If I remember rightly, my little bait factory down the road does 25kgs for 20 quid.....£400 on hemp? Hahahahahaha....Dedicated mate, I'll give you that.

not forgetting hemp almost doubles in size when cooked, so lets call it a ton for comedy value :D Just tugging on your manhood. The results say it all. Well done. Completely understand the no press, sounds like the best fishery in all the land.

Hello Nick

From whats been posted on this thread will you take anything from it at all ?,perhaps adjust your pre baiting routine.
Graham had a good point about fish spawning and moving about close season .

Makes me wonder how much will an average size Barbel will feed before moving on?

Last edited:
Hello Nick

From whats been posted on this thread will you take anything from it at all ?,perhaps adjust your pre baiting routine.
Graham had a good point about fish spawning and moving about close season .

Makes me wonder how much will an average size Barbel will feed before moving on?

Hi Paul, the routine is set in place. I understand that it isn't everyone's cup of tea but it works for me. I posted initially to see if any others pre baited and what there set routine was.

I think it's a brilliant idea,I'm going to do the same on the Loddon in couple swims that are 200yds apart thus building two dams which should help the location aspect

I think it's a brilliant idea,I'm going to do the same on the Loddon in couple swims that are 200yds apart thus building two dams which should help the location aspect

Well you would have to tip in large amounts very quickly Richard, you would also have to have something that would bind it as to not let it breakdown with the flow of the water. It's a good idea in theory though, you would also have to know if the fish where there too.

Back