• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Polarized sunglasses

I’m intrigued about the switching lenses Chris.
Do they work exactly as they say by going lighter and darker with the conditions?

Is it much of a switch or just a subtle amount that’s hardly noticeable?

I've not used the Fortis Switch long enough to make any call on them. However, they seem to be very much like Drivewear. It's not an on/off scenario, they just get darker in brighter conditions. You don't tend to notice when wearing them, they just gradually darken. However, it's pretty obvious if you hold the glasses and watch them change.

Would you think I’d be better off going with full amber lenses or are the switch ones really good in low light?

I can't really answer that for you. It'll depend on you, your eyes and your personal preferences. However, I have previously been very pleased with Drivewear lenses and the Fortis Switch seem like a good cheaper alternative so far. All I can say is that the only thing that has forced me into removing either is impending darkness. I know the Drivewear lenses better and they are spot on in low light. With limited use to go on, the Fortis Switch seem fine.

Sorry for the loads of questions, it’s just the fortis frames have been the ones ive liked the look of to suit my needs best being wide and chunky and wrap around style but I know very little about how good the lenses are.

No problem, but I'm not convinced that you can do much other than take the plunge and try for yourself. Even if I were in the position to unreservedly sing their praises, you might still not like them.

I've had a pair of prescription sunglasses that use Drivewear (photochromatic and polarized) lenses. They have been absolutely fantastic for me. However, my pockets aren't as deep as they once were. With this in mind, I'm trying a pair of Fortis Switch Overwraps this year. So far, they seem pretty good.

For those that don't need prescription glasses, the Fortis Wraps might be worth a coat of looking at. They are also available with Switch photochromatic lenses.
Hi Chris, how does the overwrap fits I’ve the glass? Tight? And is it comfortable? Thanks.

Hi Chris, how does the overwrap fits I’ve the glass? Tight? And is it comfortable? Thanks.

They fit over my glasses just fine, but it's going to depend on the size and shape of your glasses.
As for comfort, I wasn't expecting much, but they are much more comfortable than I thought they might be.

Just an update….. one of you kind gents has passed my details to Chris Cheshire and Chris has been in touch so thank you who ever you were I really appreciate that. 😀
I’m in discussion with Chris now and I’ll be ordering a pair of Maui’s through him next week.
Thanks to all that have posted on here trying to help me out …😎😎😎

Just an update….. one of you kind gents has passed my details to Chris Cheshire and Chris has been in touch so thank you who ever you were I really appreciate that. 😀
I’m in discussion with Chris now and I’ll be ordering a pair of Maui’s through him next week.
Thanks to all that have posted on here trying to help me out …😎😎😎
Well all these posts about Maui Jims I phoned a local dealer and I could buy a bloody car for the price he quoted me !!! I had to have a lay down !!!! 😂

I had a go with a pair of Orvis ones a few years back, they were outstanding.
I currently have Oakleys, brilliant driving glasses, reasonable fishing glasses.

Well all these posts about Maui Jims I phoned a local dealer and I could buy a bloody car for the price he quoted me !!! I had to have a lay down !!!! 😂
I went (fly) fishing yesterday. I wore a pair of Fortis over glasses that cost 30 odd quid. They protected my eyes and as I was fishing 20+ ft deep I didn’t really need to be able to see into the water…

In May I’m going permit fishing for the first time in over 2 years. It’s sight fishing so I stand or fall depending on whether I can see the fish (and often it’s bloody difficult). Just for you I’ll take my Fortis glasses and try them. But the most important bit of my saltwater fly fishing kit is my pair of prescription Maui’s.

I use second hand rods, mid market fly lines and cheap Chinese braid for backing. Those savings make absolutely no difference to how many fish I catch. My glasses do make a difference…..

And I choose to drive a manky old car.

I went (fly) fishing yesterday. I wore a pair of Fortis over glasses that cost 30 odd quid. They protected my eyes and as I was fishing 20+ ft deep I didn’t really need to be able to see into the water…

In May I’m going permit fishing for the first time in over 2 years. It’s sight fishing so I stand or fall depending on whether I can see the fish (and often it’s bloody difficult). Just for you I’ll take my Fortis glasses and try them. But the most important bit of my saltwater fly fishing kit is my pair of prescription Maui’s.

I use second hand rods, mid market fly lines and cheap Chinese braid for backing. Those savings make absolutely no difference to how many fish I catch. My glasses do make a difference…..

And I choose to drive a manky old car.
WOW Tim !
now THAT!!! would be a brilliant experiment I hope you have a great trip I have heard lots of good reports about Fortis overglasses but to be able to test them against what everyone says are the best would be so interesting your a top man !

I was half joking. But now I’ve put my head over the parapet I will happily do it.

But it might be when I’m only looking for tarpon or bonefish……the permit are what matters.
The last time I went to the USA year was 2001 I had an eye test the day before took the prescription with me 1st day went to the opticians had a pair of polarized varifocals made for a fraction of what it costs here they made them in 6 days :cool:

Attachments

• Dcp00463.jpg
    Dcp00463.jpg
    78.9 KB · Views: 141
Many years ago i met a guy through a fly fishing forum. I. Used to meet him to fish whenever I was heading out on the Bristol waters. At the time it turned out he was the rep for ugly fish (Australian brand). Anyway some weeks later a parcel turned up with their top spec polarised glasses. I think they were about £150 at the time. I was blown away and they were the best polarised glasses I had for years. So good durable comfy and amazing lenses.

I have a beautiful pair of Maui Jim local kines with the HT high transition lenses. Super thin glass with a subtle tint of amber/green designed for use in low light overcast conditions.

Took em down the cam this evening as the sun was going down and the lenses are unreal. In such conditions they brighten everything up and enhance colours. The gravel on the bottom of the shallows was quite stunning in different colours even in dusk low light which is exactly what I wanted from them. Looking forward to weather warming up some more and spotting some big fish on the backwaters.
3F1DA8EF-B6E6-4AFB-9F65-13DFB0D5E378.jpeg
3EA7EF4F-F819-4076-A4C1-0A80BCCEEB75.jpeg

I have a beautiful pair of Maui Jim local kines with the HT high transition lenses. Super thin glass with a subtle tint of amber/green designed for use in low light overcast conditions.

Took em down the cam this evening as the sun was going down and the lenses are unreal. In such conditions they brighten everything up and enhance colours. The gravel on the bottom of the shallows was quite stunning in different colours even in dusk low light which is exactly what I wanted from them. Looking forward to weather warming up some more and spotting some big fish on the backwaters.
View attachment 18816View attachment 18817
They look good. I wonder if you can get them with bifocal lens?

I was quoted around £850 for a varifocal pair over the phone ....I then asked him if he was wearing a mask ? hung up and had to have a lie down 😆

Back