• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Polarized sunglasses

Richard Isaacs

Senior Member & Supporter
I think I’m due a new set for the upcoming season and I’m open to recommendations
No budget open cheque book
I’ve had a couple of pairs of cheap fishing brand ones which to be fair have been great but they don’t last being made to a budget
I’ve also got a number of pairs of Oakleys some polarized some not but despite the brilliant lenses they don’t shut light out very well round the frames which effects performance when focusing on the water.
I want something that sits close to the face, wide arms and deep lenses to close out as much light as possible.

I want nice optics with good definition, something that doesn’t effect colour too much so that things like orange fins are quick and easy to identify.
Low light level lenses ideally like amber as it’s when most of my observations take place (dawn/dusk)
Great scratch resistance is a must …. And the ability to replace the lenses would be even better but not essential. Cheap glasses always fail on the ability to withstand scratches I find.

So I’ve looked briefly at fortis vistas which from a rap around bulky frame perspective look perfect but im not sure what the lenses are like?? What’s the switchable lenses like do they work?
Are there others that are much better for my list of needs..? Go nuts open cheque book and hopefully I’ll get something really good.

I use the best polarised (prescription these days) glasses that money can buy for my saltwater fly fishing. If you can’t see the fish it’s a whole lot harder to catch it…..

The best are probably Maui Jim and Smith optics. Costa are decent too.

you need to find somewhere that sells a selection of your chosen brand and try them before you buy. Your head shape and nose etc etc makes a huge difference. The various models are designed to do different jobs and fit different sized heads.

Then you need to work out which lens tint suits YOUR eyes. My fishing partner and I both use Maui’s (he gets his free!) but we use different tints. He likes lighter tints than me. My go to is the HCL bronze. My other half has some standard Maui rose lenses and I don’t like them at all. It is very much horses for courses.

Back in the day when all good specimen hunters had Optix cormorant glasses I well remember a trip fish spotting on the B Avon. With yellow lenses the pink pecs of the fish were easy to spot. But with grey lenses I couldn’t see them !

I use the best polarised (prescription these days) glasses that money can buy for my saltwater fly fishing. If you can’t see the fish it’s a whole lot harder to catch it…..

The best are probably Maui Jim and Smith optics. Costa are decent too.

you need to find somewhere that sells a selection of your chosen brand and try them before you buy. Your head shape and nose etc etc makes a huge difference. The various models are designed to do different jobs and fit different sized heads.

Then you need to work out which lens tint suits YOUR eyes. My fishing partner and I both use Maui’s (he gets his free!) but we use different tints. He likes lighter tints than me. My go to is the HCL bronze. My other half has some standard Maui rose lenses and I don’t like them at all. It is very much horses for courses.

Back in the day when all good specimen hunters had Optix cormorant glasses I well remember a trip fish spotting on the B Avon. With yellow lenses the pink pecs of the fish were easy to spot. But with grey lenses I couldn’t see them !
I still have my yellow lens cormorants and wouldn't swap em! They're huge compared to modern glasses but the advantage of that is they fit over my normal specs. Do you wear specs Richard? If so have a look at optilabs based in Croydon.

Nick

I still have my yellow lens cormorants and wouldn't swap em! They're huge compared to modern glasses but the advantage of that is they fit over my normal specs. Do you wear specs Richard? If so have a look at optilabs based in Croydon.

Nick
I don’t wear glasses no. I’ve got great vision at the moment so just a standard pair would do me. I don’t really think there is a need for me to get prescription or specially made glasses I just want a quality pair that sit close to my face and let as little light in as possible. Wrap arounds with deep arms and deep lenses would be perfect.

Another thumbs up for the Maui Jim’s. Great glasses. I haven’t worn mine for some time as I stopped wearing contact lenses some years ago. I never thought of getting then retro fitted with prescription lenses but I think I really should .

I've had a pair of prescription sunglasses that use Drivewear (photochromatic and polarized) lenses. They have been absolutely fantastic for me. However, my pockets aren't as deep as they once were. With this in mind, I'm trying a pair of Fortis Switch Overwraps this year. So far, they seem pretty good.

For those that don't need prescription glasses, the Fortis Wraps might be worth a coat of looking at. They are also available with Switch photochromatic lenses.

I've had a pair of prescription sunglasses that use Drivewear (photochromatic and polarized) lenses. They have been absolutely fantastic for me. However, my pockets aren't as deep as they once were. With this in mind, I'm trying a pair of Fortis Switch Overwraps this year. So far, they seem pretty good.

For those that don't need prescription glasses, the Fortis Wraps might be worth a coat of looking at. They are also available with Switch photochromatic lenses.
I am just about to ask for over wraps or click on for prescription glass, these fortis looks great. Thanks, Chris

I’m intrigued about the switching lenses Chris.
Do they work exactly as they say by going lighter and darker with the conditions?

Is it much of a switch or just a subtle amount that’s hardly noticeable?

Would you think I’d be better off going with full amber lenses or are the switch ones really good in low light?

Sorry for the loads of questions, it’s just the fortis frames have been the ones ive liked the look of to suit my needs best being wide and chunky and wrap around style but I know very little about how good the lenses are.

Funny enough as I have just gone into remission after 13 months of chemotherapy
I decided I needed buy myself something to celebrate and looking around I like the look and sound of

the Oakleys the 2 pairs I have seen online are Half Jacket 2.0 XL and FLAK 2.0 XL with Prizm Polarized Lenses,
both pairs I believe have additional lenses available

Back