• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Petition for the abolition of the closed season on rivers

Whether the close is lifted or not,the most important thing is protecting the spawning beds. They should be treated like an SSSI. What about the paddlers,canoeists,who probably as we speak are ploughing through said areas.

Hi men ,

What a load of floppy hatted rose colored rubbish . The rivers got a massive rest around my area as people gave up on them . The once crowded banks of the Ouse , in particular the Vauxhall bit is now mainly targeted by chub/petch anglers . After the start of the new season enthusiasm dies it becomes empty . I do use the canal as an example as its the nearest to a river in make up , and my local bit is thriving . Bird life , bankside cover , fish repoduction have not been effected at all . It still sufferes from otter problems , but this week iv had to bash down groth to get a rod in , and fished with my old dad one evening on a prolific good carp section being the only ones fishing . Clubs can control the shutting of spawning bits , as does the places i carp fish . I know of bits of the ouse that are supported by ticket sales for carp water / lakes , and if it was not for that they would be lost to angling . I know , because this coming season iv joined a little stretch dropped by a club . Nothing will chanhe no mater how much pressure to change there is , so its nice to see everyones views , but to use the giving rivers a rest or i need to decorate as reasons is wide of the mark.

Hattet

A fair bit of sentiment expressed there Mark.
Things wax and wane all the time. I remember seeing match anglers lining the Thames in London on some Sundays, busy as hell it was, but such reminiscence has little relevance.
There seems to be this onus on those calling for the close season's remaining to provide valid reasons for it. I would posit that it is the frustration in not being able to do what it is that some want that drives this, however, the onus is on you to provide good reasons for the close season's abolition and other than that of being purely economic, I can't make out one with merit or logic attached to it.[/QUOTE]

Personally I think the wrong question is being asked. The question should be “is the close season fit for purpose and of positive value to the ecology.” Seeing as the “purpose” itself is often In contention then we’re a long way from should it be done away with. You wouldn’t just throw stuff out of the shed without knowing what they are for...

How many that would prefer to see the CS retained are fishing for other coarse fish during the CS? its hypocrisy.

How many that want the CS retained would abstain from fishing rivers were it to be abolished?

It is not fit for purpose change the dates (impossible imo) to suit all geographical areas taking into account variations in weather or get rid of it, I am for getting rid.

Hi men,

Damian , as i dont fish for barbel , or rivers in fact im coming from a neutral point of view , with nothing to gain in any way !. I have joined a stretch this season not far from where record breaking barbel once lived , some of these bits you cant give away now , lots have become free or lost to fishing all together . I will fish it in the winter for the potential of a pb perch , but that aint hard to beat . From a fish care point the 3 month the abolition on lakes and canals prove its made no difference, bird life and fauna have not been effected . I asked a bailiff of a large club about shuttung down a lake last week for carp spawning if he could do the same for the river that runs alongside if the 3 month shutdown was remived and could he manage the river as well ?, he just laughed saying the cant get people to join for the river , let alone fight off the hords !. This bit has in the past challanged tge barbel record , produced many 8lb chub , but many of the swims are lost due to lack of use , and a working party attracted just 3 people . The situation wont change , but as you want the reasons for it to be abolished , i cant see the readons for it to stay , but staying it will.

Hatter

I took my dog for a walk down on the banks of the river Aire, a couple of EE's fishing away with a little barbie at the back. I mentioned the close season & their English took a turn for the worse.. Would the lack of a close season have made any difference?
But when you see what some of the plant pots on here spout there ain't a lot of chance of stopping it..;)

The English of this petition is even worse than the otter one. If you don't know what full stops, commas, apostrophes and capital letters are and are not for, and can't be bothered to get someone else to check it for you, do you really expect anyone to take it seriously?

It dont do any good t'complain bout it GRaham?

Yes, quite agree. If they're trying to make a statement, be taken seriously and get signatures, a decent command of all things grammatical is a good start.

Whilst I’m no grammar Natzi, in fact I can’t write properly because I don’t talk “properly” and didn’t go to the kind of school where we were taught “the way”. An official document like a petition needs to be correct, why? Because “they” will spot the incorrections and instantly you will not be taken seriously or given due credit. Just look at legal paperwork, it’s a separate language, as if it’s designed to exclude the plebs.

The fish are spawning,.. the water meadows are full of ground nesting birds sitting on nests,.. the reed beds are dotted with warbler and bunting nests as are the banks with water fowl on the Havon,.... a wonderful and sensitive time when nature is replenishing itself.
Any management chores have to be carried out with extreme care or just postponed for another couple of weeks in some cases. Most of the stretches don’t allow public access or canoeing so are left in peace,.. maybe these are some of the reasons the Avon valley is so rich in wildlife and is designated sssi .
The river is still baliffed and a few salmon anglers will be on the banks, but nature is generally left to itself,.. I’m looking forward to the new season as always having gladly put the coarse rods away in mid March,... 9months is plenty for me and I’ve never wanted more so I certainly won’t be clicking on yet another petition to change it.
I sometimes wonder how many who ‘sign’ some of the abolition of close season petitions ever set foot on a riverbank or actually fish the rivers through winter.
Can’t blame some for being like the retail business and wanting Christmas every day I suppose.

Whilst I’m no grammar Natzi, in fact I can’t write properly because I don’t talk “properly” and didn’t go to the kind of school where we were taught “the way”. An official document like a petition needs to be correct, why? Because “they” will spot the incorrections and instantly you will not be taken seriously or given due credit. Just look at legal paperwork, it’s a separate language, as if it’s designed to exclude the plebs.

Stephen,

Legal documents have a language of their own because they have to be precise and not open to interpretation. They are not designed to exclude people but intended to make sure that the document states what it is meant to say clearly and in a way that cannot be misinterpreted, even if that means that you have to look every other word up in the dictionary to understand it!

Dave

I appreciate that Dave but it’s possible to be clear an accurate without resorting to such measures. Ignore me I’m in the middle of some legal bits at present and the jargon and process is both mind numbing and frustrating.

Here is a thought, if there was any scientific reason for keeping it why is there talk of the EA putting it to a vote. Surely if there was a reason it would be THEIR decision as to whether it was there or not.
Regarding shops being greedy, this argument seems to come from people living in the past, times have changed, have a look around your high streets and see how many shops are empty, that wasn't the case in the past. When shops like Leslies and Bennets close there is a problem.
How many quoting protecting fish spawning fish lakes in the close season, times have changed, move with them.

Definitely not a 'grammar Nazi' myself, and wouldn't have said anything about 2 or 3 commas where there should have been full stops or conjunctions ... but there are 8 mistakes in less than 10 lines here, as well as being one day short on the dates of the closed season itself. It just won't be taken seriously.

Here is a thought, if there was any scientific reason for keeping it why is there talk of the EA putting it to a vote. Surely if there was a reason it would be THEIR decision as to whether it was there or not.
Regarding shops being greedy, this argument seems to come from people living in the past, times have changed, have a look around your high streets and see how many shops are empty, that wasn't the case in the past. When shops like Leslies and Bennets close there is a problem.
How many quoting protecting fish spawning fish lakes in the close season, times have changed, move with them.

Times have changed, the shops need to move with them.

I think some places benefit from a close season, for some it probably wouldn't make a difference. I'd hate to see the state of the popular BAA Severn stretches if it was lifted.
Also as a great deal of still waters, and to a lesser extent canals, aren't really wild fisheries, I don't think you can compare them to rivers.
In fact many SSSI still waters and canals have kept the close season, this I believe has as much to do with all wildlife, not just fish, being undisturbed during the breeding season.

As I've said previouslay in other close season related threads, even if the CS is removed, it doesn't mean that you will automatically be able to fish all river stretches immediately. Club leases/licences tend to be for the nine months of the current season and would have to be renegotiated, with an increase in rent to reflect the extra three months, and that is assuming that the landowner is happy for anglers to be on the bank all year round. You also have the issue of waters in SSSIs or other conservation areas where the close season may still apply.

It's not as simple as many people seem to think and would, if it happens, inevitably lead to increased club fees for many river anglers.

Dave

As I've said previouslay in other close season related threads, even if the CS is removed, it doesn't mean that you will automatically be able to fish all river stretches immediately. Club leases/licences tend to be for the nine months of the current season and would have to be renegotiated, with an increase in rent to reflect the extra three months, and that is assuming that the landowner is happy for anglers to be on the bank all year round. You also have the issue of waters in SSSIs or other conservation areas where the close season may still apply.

It's not as simple as many people seem to think and would, if it happens, inevitably lead to increased club fees for many river anglers.

Dave

That will of course lead to even more confusion with some rivers open and others not. I get it all the time now when walking my local rivers with anglers claiming not to know that it's the close season.

I got an E mail from the EA the other day saying I had been chosen at random to take part in a survey to look at the close season to help them gather evidence to decide whether to abolish , retain , or change . Came with a lot of information / documents attached which I haven't had time to read yet , they were research documents . So perhaps a petition is not really required ,poor punctuation or not .Gavin , if the waters you are walking are YDAA and are being fished out of season let me know and I will inform the bailiff,or better still let Maddo or Ken Jones know .

I got an E mail from the EA the other day saying I had been chosen at random to take part in a survey to look at the close season to help them gather evidence to decide whether to abolish , retain , or change . Came with a lot of information / documents attached which I haven't had time to read yet , they were research documents . So perhaps a petition is not really required ,poor punctuation or not .Gavin , if the waters you are walking are YDAA and are being fished out of season let me know and I will inform the bailiff,or better still let Maddo or Ken Jones know .

Mike have a look at where the research is about and who the researchers work for.

Back