• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Petition for the abolition of the closed season on rivers

I saw an article about this in the latest anglers mail although they didn't create the petition.

https://petition.parliament.uk/petitions/217376

Abolition of the coarse fishing closed season on rivers (16th March-16th June)
This outdated law has left us Angler’s twiddling our thumbs for years, there is no evidence to prove all year round fishing harms fish’s breeding habits, no effects have been seen on commercial fisheries and canals which have had no closed season for years.

More details
We have also seen the loss of Tackle & bait shops for years during the closed season as takings reduce massively, fishing seems to be a dying hobby which is a crying shame as kids and adults alike could do with more outside pastimes not less. More fishing time and longer evenings (in closed season) can give the sport and local businesses a real boost and give more opportunities for people to take up Angling.

If the close season was a new thing I could understand the argument, but it's always been there so why would it suddenly affect sales?
My local seems to get most of its sales from carp and match angler's, can't imagine river anglers make much difference.

and I've signed it, time have changed...the ea need to show evidence for keeping it, which they most probably cant so it should be removed.
They certainly do change, never before have we seen such a desire to have anything and everything when we want it.
Just be happy that you can shop for literally anything you like on a Sunday, go down the pub at literally any time you like, any day of the week, catch a sunfish or some other exotic from a local pond whenever you wish...
...time was when have not was a reality, and not a reason to demand a change.

So what you saying then Damian? The close season is not about protecting fish from being caught during the vulnerable time of spawning?.... It's about anglers exercising self control contrary to stresses and access of modern day living?

I am not saying that at all Jason, I am saying what is driving these calls for the abolition of the close season is pure self interest and greed.

I have got to agree with Damian here .
The commercials were the tip of the iceberg when they first appeared.. OK they gave a lot of anglers the opportunity to get into the pastime ( definatley not a sport imo )
But now it is want want want.... irrespective of the close season protecting spawning fish, dont you think it is a good idea to give running water a rest for 3 months a year , I know the fish arent quite as pressured as those on those horrible mud pits , but the close season gives the banks a rest, gives the wildlife a rest, gives the fish a rest.
Whats not to like about it ? Except if you demand to be on the bank 24/7 -365 days a year, whenever you please , then you are definately putting self first.

David

That's not the point is it though guys, the question is does the close do what it is there for....most likely not.

It's not about giving the banks a rest, yourself a rest or to keep the missus happy by doing the decorating.

The only valid reason to keep the close season is if it's proven that fish stocks nationally will be damaged by removing it.

Whilst I am not a fan of keeping the close season based on the fish/wildlife welfare argument (there is no reproducible evidence based data to prove it is of benefit) ...there is no way I would put my name to this poorly worded petition - in fact I think it is a bit of an embarrassment

Hi men ,

What a load of floppy hatted rose colored rubbish . The rivers got a massive rest around my area as people gave up on them . The once crowded banks of the Ouse , in particular the Vauxhall bit is now mainly targeted by chub/petch anglers . After the start of the new season enthusiasm dies it becomes empty . I do use the canal as an example as its the nearest to a river in make up , and my local bit is thriving . Bird life , bankside cover , fish repoduction have not been effected at all . It still sufferes from otter problems , but this week iv had to bash down groth to get a rod in , and fished with my old dad one evening on a prolific good carp section being the only ones fishing . Clubs can control the shutting of spawning bits , as does the places i carp fish . I know of bits of the ouse that are supported by ticket sales for carp water / lakes , and if it was not for that they would be lost to angling . I know , because this coming season iv joined a little stretch dropped by a club . Nothing will chanhe no mater how much pressure to change there is , so its nice to see everyones views , but to use the giving rivers a rest or i need to decorate as reasons is wide of the mark.

Hattet

Hi men
If you want to see if close season fishing effects the fish pop down to Wheathampstead on the river Lea and ask those fishing / taking / eating fish . And yes iv reported it before.

Hatter

Agree with Hatter and Jason, those against abolishing the close season seem to take a holier than thou attitude which
I don't understand, we all have our valid opinions.

I couldn't care less either way really, but those advocating keeping it and those advocating lifting it can both come up with some pretty irrelevant reasons. I would be happy to fish for chub on the river in April and May but no problem if I can't.

I wouldn't be too fussed if they did abolish it but likewise don't understand why some are so desperate to get rid.
I've seen how hammered some stretches get in the summer and that would concern me if said stretches were open during spawning. Guaranteed some clowns would be crashing 5oz feeders on top of spawning barbel.

Back