• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

Hi Guys,
I'm contemplating having a go at float fishing for perch. Would I be ok with a 13ft match style rod or would I need something a bit stronger. Don't want to spend too much (around £50ish). Any suggestions. Cheers

13ft match rod is perfect. You don't need anything else.
Have a look at the TFG 13' Banshee Float Rod - I've got one and they are an absolute bargain.

Link: TF Gear NEW Banshee 13' Float Fishing Rod | eBay

IMG_191102841757822_zps92d251f7.jpeg

3-6 from the Wye on a 13ft Grey's G-Tec float rod.

Last edited:
good looking perch will. perhaps i should have a go for the perch next time i'm on the wye, is there a good head of perch spread throughout or are they localised actually in hereford.?

Personal best!

I finally broke my PB on the last session of the season. The weight was 3.14, not quite the 4 I was after but I was well pleased. It was following a season of 7 other 3's as well as a couple of 2.15's.

It was caught by the drop shot method as were all the others!
Happy days indeed,
Bob

Attachments

• 3.14 RH shortcut.jpg
    3.14 RH shortcut.jpg
    98.7 KB · Views: 280
Thanks Steve.
It certainly was an old warrior with a few battle scars and the odd split fin. It was a deep fish but the way I held it in the first picture doesn't really show that.
I have attached another shot which shows the true girth. The belly was quite soft so she may have partially spawned?

Attachments

• 3.14 RH.jpg
    3.14 RH.jpg
    94.8 KB · Views: 348
Having my first try at dropshotting tomorrow on the canals. Any tips welcome guys. Not interested in swims or areas just general tips.

Thanks for all your comments chaps.

I have to say that I was really pleased, but just a tinge of regret. I am pretty confident that given another couple of weeks of the fishing season I would have broken the 4lb barrier. Still, it leaves something to look forward to for the back end of next season!

Bob

Found time to do some pleasure angling on a pond. This thing took my float fished prawn. It's a PB by some margin. I thought it might make 3lb but alas an ounce short. Still, beats my previous best by over a pound.

Attachments

• image.jpg
    image.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 283
Popped out for a couple of hours after work and his this one last night. 2lb 5oz

Attachments

• 2lb 5oz Perch.jpg
    2lb 5oz Perch.jpg
    95.3 KB · Views: 269
My PB

Thanks Steve.
It certainly was an old warrior with a few battle scars and the odd split fin. It was a deep fish but the way I held it in the first picture doesn't really show that.
I have attached another shot which shows the true girth. The belly was quite soft so she may have partially spawned?

Being inspired by a drawing someone had done of his perch, I decided to have one done of mine.
I have to say that I am very pleased with the result!

Attachments

• perch drawing.jpg
    perch drawing.jpg
    64 KB · Views: 285
Quality drawing of a quality Perch:D

It was me that had the picture drawn that you refer to in your post and without wishing to hijack the thread I'd like to take this opportunity to re-introduce the artist, my daughter Jessica....I have cut and pasted this from the social forum:

Jessica is now getting better and better at her artwork and is seriously looking to move into it in a more professional manner. If anyone has a birthday or anniversary coming up and is struggling to suggest a gift to their loved one, perhaps you'd like a unique portrait of you and you PB?

We are in the process of putting together a website where she can showcase her work but as anglers generally take pictures of their better fish I'd have thought PB portraits might be a good stepping stone for Jessica to use to get a foothold in the world of art.

Jessica can produce a quality bespoke piece of artwork and all she needs is a quality picture to work from and to date she has produced black and white and colour portraits of people, pets, cars, buildings and architecture, all she needs is a quality image to work from.

If anyone is interested in getting a portrait commissioned, just PM me initially and I'll put you in touch with Jessica to sort out the finer points etc.

Thanks lads

Paul

Hi all
Looking to buy a lure rod for perch fishing, light jigging and drop shot fishing.
Any recommendations would be helpful , thanks in advance.
Wayne.

I finally broke my PB on the last session of the season. The weight was 3.14, not quite the 4 I was after but I was well pleased. It was following a season of 7 other 3's as well as a couple of 2.15's.

It was caught by the drop shot method as were all the others!
Happy days indeed,
Bob

Nice fish bob, best I managed their was 3:8 a new PB (can't see how to attach a pic as new on here) was my 6th 3 of the season, was very happy as my first winter trying for perch on lures, will probably bump into you and your mate afloat again this winter :D

Back