• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

Christmas present to oneself, sorted!.

Questioned my sanity other day, every element of the weather was thrown at us, but it only takes the one bite, and this one was special.

238dc97730c43d8fefe118155aa3c8b7_zpscd84417f.jpg

4.02 of pristine spate river perch.

An hour session on the local canal produced just the one take 1lb 10oz.

Attachments

• IMAG2735.jpg
    IMAG2735.jpg
    102.3 KB · Views: 256
Questioned my sanity other day, every element of the weather was thrown at us, but it only takes the one bite, and this one was special.

238dc97730c43d8fefe118155aa3c8b7_zpscd84417f.jpg

4.02 of pristine spate river perch.

Stunning perch Steve,fish of my dreams,had a 3 from a commercial last week which was a pb,but your fish looks different class

Derwent Perch. A Brilliant New Personal Best (or is that 'Beast'?)

Went for my first session of the season for Perch today:)

I decided to try a new area having arrived at about 11.30 am, and by about 3.30pm with not a sniff on either float fished lob or on a ledgered offering, began to wonder whether my choice of swim had been such a great idea:(

Around 4.15-ish, I was on the 'phone to a mate explaining that I'd be heading home soon, when I noticed my (specially-adapted) swing-tip was moving just a bit more than usual (previously caused by the fluctuating current). Suddenly it swung up just that bit more positively, before the alarm could register, so I struck into it and felt the steady thumping fight of a successfully hooked perch.

Confident that what I was playing would be an average 3lb-ish Derwent specimen, I was staggered when I eventually slipped my net under what I could only describe as a fish of a lifetime...a veritable "dinner plate" of stripey:eek:

Whilst unhooking this beautiful, fin-perfect 'monster' and putting it in the weigh sling, I estimated that looking from its underbelly it must measure at least 4 inches across its girth!!

Having weighed it (using pretty accurate Fox Stalker digi scales) not just once, but twice in sheer disbelief.... I recorded an unbelievable 4lb 10 oz:D

That was it! I (self) photographed it several times, returned it safely and packed everything up to go home. Driving all the way with a stupid, but self-satisfied grin on my face!!

IMG_2149.jpg

Cheers

Roger

What an incredible fish Roger,and a stunning self-take,really well done.Are there any day ticket stretches of the Derwent or cheap club stretches.I've heard of so many huge perch coming off this river,only wish my local rivers held such fish

Thanks for the comments, fellas.

Mark, there are several club stretches e.g. Pride of Derby, Derbyshire County Angling Club and Earl of Harrington. There are quality perch (AND barbel, of course!) to be had from all of them (I have been a member of them all at one time over the last ten years or so and they are all reasonably cheap to join-although Earl o H does offer day tickets as well).

Good luck.

Roger

Awesome perch that :eek:

The derwent has defiantly been throwing up some monster perch lately, still waiting for my first 4

Back