• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

You're not alone Paul (Thomas). There's plenty of perch around my waters but hard to track down and / or single out the good (2lb+) fish. Good fun though eh.

Thank you men.

I think that location is the hardest part of perch fishing, once you find them, they can often hang themsleves.

I'll be doing the odd perch session, but wont up my game until after xmas.

Good luck guys. :)

Paul

Some lovely fish there.

Funny Day today. Took a young lad perching on the Thames. Couldn't get any bites from the bits for 1 hour then started to catch roach 4-8 oz.

Decided to get the pike gear out and have a try for him with the smallest roach 4oz. The slider went away after 10 mins and he struck into...........a 2.12oz perch, Deep hooked with the treble unfortunately.

Put on another roach 6oz............another perch of 2.14!

Finally the float slid under and the lad was rewarded with an 18lb pike that was stunningly marked.

Finally I caught a perch of 3oz on the maggots, put that onto a single hook "proper " perch rig and caught a stunning 3lb 8oz perch. (it makes up for the 3.8 I guesstimated earlier this season)

We actually missed some Bites on the pike gear that I think were perch. The roach baits were 5" long. Amazing.

G

perch38a.jpg

taylor183.jpg

Last edited:
Graham,
It's amazing the size of fish a big Perch will hit ! We used to regularly get them hitting 4oz+ Roach on the B.Avon whilst fishing with Hemp ! A real sight to behold !
Nice fish Paul H and Graham ! A BIG Perch is on my wishlist this winter ! I've had them to 2-12 many moons ago and used to catch some great nets of 1lb plussers on the Pole from the BA when I was a lad ! Fishing amongst the cabbages was the only way I could out-smart the old man on our regular 'Summer Evening Matches' !!

do any of you lure fish for perch ? considering trying on trent while am out of action

Robert, do a search for Bob Roberts perch articles, he does a bit of perch fishing up that way. I only mention it because I vaguely remember him mentioning lure fishing at some point. I Might be wrong though.

cheers Darren will have a look , posted this question on a couple of other forums so thought would stick it on here as well , where do we stand on been able to lure fish for perch on commercials during river close season ?

hi bob
lure fishing for perch is great fun and one of the best ways to
catch them
try getting some shads or start off with spinners
the copper mepps 2 is the best perch lure by far
tight lines

Thanks for the Comments. Having another go tomorrow. Beats sitting out in the cold waiting for the rod to go around.

G

do any of you lure fish for perch ? considering trying on trent while am out of action

Yes, done loads Robert. I now fish small jigs although I once had a (very honest), 3.15 that nailed a 5" shad when I was fishing for pike. Fortunately I caught the same fish at 4.1 a month later after it had fattened up a tadge :)

It's definitely worth fishing a "stinger treble" underneath the tail as many a time you get 'nips' on the retrieve from perch as they try to disable the bait, as they do before coming back to nail it, just like bass.

GE, that's a lovely perch. I haven't forgotten about our trip ;) We just need the weather and fuel for the outboard :)

Ian

Cheers Ian , have been getting conflicting advice the pike lads are recommending 40lb braid and a wire trace in case of pike and some of the perch guys say 20lb braid and no trace as pike not a problem

Robert - i use 80lb braid for lure fishing for pike. There isn't any benefit to using 40lb braid imo and you are far less likely to straighten your hooks if you snag up, meaning losing very expensive lures. 40lb braid is thin and not terribly robust, so it may also lead to lost pike :(

If there are pike in the water i would always use a trace. Better to be safe than sorry mate.

Have a look online Robert, you can find some excellent trace material for perch that will also withstand any attention from esox. Personally I wouldn't go higher than 10lb braid when fishing for perch on light jig set ups. I hasten to add I've had pike up to 20lb on this setup when they've nailed my small jig.

Ian

Seems everyone has different opinions and set ups , heres my options , 40lb power pro braid and 20lb Drennan Green Pike Wire xtr Soft lure tackle trace wire for were there is pike be mainley jigs and lure with jig heads , for venues where pike aint present 8lb flouro

Fished the pond yesterday afternoon, had a couple in the 1- 2lb region, and lost a much better fish (own fault), dammit! Can't fish the pond for a fortnight now...

Back