• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

Kevin Daly

Got a tip about an unknown fishery today and had a 3lber on the nose.....no pictures sadly as it's a bit of a secret squirrel place so I'll respect the guys wishes....but very slow fishing all over.

Chris Guy

Been bagging a few perch of late on the Gt Ouse. Nothing over 1.5, though I think I lost a big lump the other day (didn't see it but, I was only catching perch and it fought like a perch).
I was chatting to a guy who was out lure fishing for them and he reckoned that if he had one of 1lb, he's move on, if he'd had one of 2lb he'd move But if he had one of 3lb he'd stay put for a while longer.
So my question is, am I wasting my time staying in the couple of spots where I'm catching mixed year classes, should I move on? Do bigger perch only cohabit with their peers? Cheers.

Been bagging a few perch of late on the Gt Ouse. Nothing over 1.5, though I think I lost a big lump the other day (didn't see it but, I was only catching perch and it fought like a perch).
I was chatting to a guy who was out lure fishing for them and he reckoned that if he had one of 1lb, he's move on, if he'd had one of 2lb he'd move But if he had one of 3lb he'd stay put for a while longer.
So my question is, am I wasting my time staying in the couple of spots where I'm catching mixed year classes, should I move on? Do bigger perch only cohabit with their peers? Cheers.
Chris, I am no expert, but do agree that predators mainly mix with their own year classes. If I was catching lots of jacks, then I would assume that there's no big girls about and I would move. I have caught different sized perch from the same area, but the bigger ones were definitely on the edge of the shoal. Happy hunting 👍🎣

Chris Guy

Chris, I am no expert, but do agree that predators mainly mix with their own year classes. If I was catching lots of jacks, then I would assume that there's no big girls about and I would move. I have caught different sized perch from the same area, but the bigger ones were definitely on the edge of the shoal. Happy hunting 👍🎣
Cheers Carl, I'll be trying a few yards away then. Though it was a lot of fun catching the kids. 😉