• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

Got a tip about an unknown fishery today and had a 3lber on the nose.....no pictures sadly as it's a bit of a secret squirrel place so I'll respect the guys wishes....but very slow fishing all over.

Been bagging a few perch of late on the Gt Ouse. Nothing over 1.5, though I think I lost a big lump the other day (didn't see it but, I was only catching perch and it fought like a perch).
I was chatting to a guy who was out lure fishing for them and he reckoned that if he had one of 1lb, he's move on, if he'd had one of 2lb he'd move But if he had one of 3lb he'd stay put for a while longer.
So my question is, am I wasting my time staying in the couple of spots where I'm catching mixed year classes, should I move on? Do bigger perch only cohabit with their peers? Cheers.

Been bagging a few perch of late on the Gt Ouse. Nothing over 1.5, though I think I lost a big lump the other day (didn't see it but, I was only catching perch and it fought like a perch).
I was chatting to a guy who was out lure fishing for them and he reckoned that if he had one of 1lb, he's move on, if he'd had one of 2lb he'd move But if he had one of 3lb he'd stay put for a while longer.
So my question is, am I wasting my time staying in the couple of spots where I'm catching mixed year classes, should I move on? Do bigger perch only cohabit with their peers? Cheers.
Chris, I am no expert, but do agree that predators mainly mix with their own year classes. If I was catching lots of jacks, then I would assume that there's no big girls about and I would move. I have caught different sized perch from the same area, but the bigger ones were definitely on the edge of the shoal. Happy hunting 👍🎣

Chris, I am no expert, but do agree that predators mainly mix with their own year classes. If I was catching lots of jacks, then I would assume that there's no big girls about and I would move. I have caught different sized perch from the same area, but the bigger ones were definitely on the edge of the shoal. Happy hunting 👍🎣
Cheers Carl, I'll be trying a few yards away then. Though it was a lot of fun catching the kids. 😉

PERCH.jpeg

Nice start to this year's campaign. 2Lb 1oz.

Really jealous of you Kevin, seeing that lovely 2lb stripey you caught recently. I had a session on the Upper Bure yesterday and managed a couple of perch that were just under the pound mark, which I was pleased with. Can I ask Kevin, were you lure fishing or bait fishing when you caught the perch? I have treated myself to a jigging rod and rigs. Never ever done it before and waiting for weather to get colder and then will have a go on the Broads. Any tips would be more than welcome!

Really jealous of you Kevin, seeing that lovely 2lb stripey you caught recently. I had a session on the Upper Bure yesterday and managed a couple of perch that were just under the pound mark, which I was pleased with. Can I ask Kevin, were you lure fishing or bait fishing when you caught the perch? I have treated myself to a jigging rod and rigs. Never ever done it before and waiting for weather to get colder and then will have a go on the Broads. Any tips would be more than welcome!
Start now, the warmer the water the more likely they are to chase down a lure or jig.

Hi Paul. That fish was caught on a small soft plastic lure. A fox spikey micro fry in pink if I recall. I‘m fairly new to the lure fishing game to be honest; this is really only my second season, so my tips might not be worth a great deal! What I would say is to err on the side of fishing very light. My most successful set up in terms of getting bites and numbers of fish (as opposed to deliberately looking for specimens) is a Shakespeare LRF rod with a 0.5 - 7g casting range, paired with a 500 size reel loaded with 8lb braid and anything from 2lb to 5lb fluorocarbon at the business end. I only fish this setup in areas where I’m confident I wont get Pike. If there’s an Esox or two about, I use a slightly heavier rod (5-15g), a 1000 size reel, 10lb braid, 6-8lb fluoro and a short wire trace in the lightest wire I can find. https://www.agmdiscountfishing.co.uk/product/knot2kinky-nickel-titanium-wire-6lb-2-7kg-15ft/ This stuff is absolutely amazing!
On canals and Stillwaters, fishing for numbers, more or less any lure around 2 inches long will do the job. Fox Rage micro fry are a good starting point. Using the light setups as above, you’d be amazed at how well you can cast those lures on a 2g jig head! Beyond that, I’d say just head out and have a bit of fun. Experiment with retrieve speeds, chuck in twitches and pauses, see if you can find a combination of lure size, shape, action, colour and retrieve that they want on the day. Some people like to really be methodical, fan casting and really covering the water thoroughly. My preference is to wander around and cast more instinctively. Be prepared to walk a fair way (although my lad took the pictured fish 2 minutes from the car, in a town centre!). It can be amazing fun, but also bloody frustrating. I’ve fished a particular spot and method one day and done well, then returned the day after in identical conditions only to struggle like mad! It is satisfying though, when you ring the changes and finally find something that works.

A few years ago I took up lure fishing, I find it great fun and to keep that sporting fun side to it I made the decision to not weigh what I caught. Couple of weeks ago I regretted this choice with a beautiful Hampshire Avon Perch. I couldn’t resist and took a rudimentary measurement of 45cm.

Attachments

• BD5A5DFD-7755-4500-B494-D5045FC5254E.jpeg
    BD5A5DFD-7755-4500-B494-D5045FC5254E.jpeg
    357.9 KB · Views: 213
A few years ago I took up lure fishing, I find it great fun and to keep that sporting fun side to it I made the decision to not weigh what I caught. Couple of weeks ago I regretted this choice with a beautiful Hampshire Avon Perch. I couldn’t resist and took a rudimentary measurement of 45cm.
Stephen,
I recently saw these and thought of you ! These “new”? Scales from Korum are so small they’ll fit into a coat pocket without taking up hardly any room and weigh very little in them selves. I’ve been able to check them against my larger Korum and RH9000 scales and there was an ounce difference from the RH and reading same as other Korums. Which is bang on I don’t know? Seem perfect for anyone travelling light.
regards
Bill

Last edited:
Stephen,
I recently saw these and thought of you ! These “new”? Scales from Korum are so small they’ll fit into a coat pocket without taking up hardly any room and weigh very little in them selves. I’ve been able to check them against my larger Korum and RH9000 scales and there was an ounce difference from the RH and reading same as other Korums. Which is bang on I don’t know? Seem perfect for anyone travelling light.
regards
Bill
If we are discussing scales; I now only use cheap (a fiver) luggage scales bought off eBay. They weigh nothing, the batteries last for ages and I don’t have to lug Rubens or Avon’s around. And yes they are accurate enough.

I think I probably will concede and buy something like that. Thanks Bill.

The initial idea behind not weighing was to prevent me getting too fixated. I wanted to keep that child like joy of catching fish that can get lost. If you’ve ever caught a fish, say a Barbel, weighed it and found its actually not the 11lb something you thought when it hit the net but a 9lb 10 and a slight pang of disappointment instead of retaining the joy of the actual catch, you’ll understand what I mean. I hear people say it all the time, “ah it wasn’t quite a…”.

I think I probably will concede and buy something like that. Thanks Bill.

The initial idea behind not weighing was to prevent me getting too fixated. I wanted to keep that child like joy of catching fish that can get lost. If you’ve ever caught a fish, say a Barbel, weighed it and found its actually not the 11lb something you thought when it hit the net but a 9lb 10 and a slight pang of disappointment instead of retaining the joy of the actual catch, you’ll understand what I mean. I hear people say it all the time, “ah it wasn’t quite a…”.
I know what you mean about fixated Stephen and when I was heavily into Carp back in the 70’s and 80’s I was very much that way but since I got back into fishing a dozen or so years back I enjoy every fish for what they are. It doesn’t stop me weighing them I just need to know. A mate I fish with on a small lake/pond for Tench is happy to say “ it’s about 3lb” me I need to know if it’s 2lb 14oz or 3lb 2oz so I ‘spose I’m still fixated but pleased to say I don’t think “it’s only 2-14” I enjoy it for the bend it’s put in my rod and Barbel, I enjoy ‘em all, just love ‘em 😍

Back