• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Perch

Mark Thompson

Soaked em overnight with limited success , some floated some sunk.
They dont feel meaty at all , more like cardboard.
About 3 months in freezer.
No perch today.

Think fresh is best .

Anthony Pearson

Today I had a masterclass in drop-shotting (in all its guises) from fellow BFW member Dave Powell. Fished a day-ticket stretch of a Yorkshire canal in dire conditions: heavy rain showers, wind, sleet and pretty damned cold temps. to boot. In spite of all that, I managed a 2.4 perch which, in the circumstances, was a minor miracle. I owe you one, mate.

Dave Powell

Today I had a masterclass in drop-shotting (in all its guises) from fellow BFW member Dave Powell. Fished a day-ticket stretch of a Yorkshire canal in dire conditions: heavy rain showers, wind, sleet and pretty damned cold temps. to boot. In spite of all that, I managed a 2.4 perch which, in the circumstances, was a minor miracle. I owe you one, mate.
A pleasure Anthony.

Don't be modest, you had quite a few more too.

Dave

Graham Elliott

A perching day on a commercial.

Long wait but managed 1.11/1.14/1.15/ and nice 3.2.
Couple of carp 10ish and 19+ .Fun on the match rod.

Mark Nicholls

Great start to your perching Graham - well done :)
I really should try and find some locally to fill the gap before a bit of tinca fishing.
Close season came too soon - got the bug.

Graham Elliott

Thanks Rob and Mark.

After 3 hours getting very wet trying a new club water that might have fish.....it didnt for me !

So of to my perch place. Despite being plagued by bream I did manage a 2.0lber at 5pm and a venue best stonker of 3lb.9oz.
Happy bunny.

well done graham catching some nice perch.are you fishing local commercials I only live in usk so might have to try a couple of them would like to catch a 2lb perch never caught one.enjoy your reports. all the best

Graham Elliott

Dave. Actually a more interesting story.

Chap behind me started chatting. Bit of a scruff.
Finally asked me for bus fare to Hereford.
I declined.

After more chat asked for a light, but didn't have any cigarettes.
I declined.

As I turned around for the next gem, the float apparently went under and I just caught the rod bending violently and hit the bite.

"Missed that one" he said.

So I reminded him of the value of peace and quiet whilst fishing and said
"Now ---- off"

Graham Elliott

Decided on a change and had a perch day.

Pretty slow going and after some small fish finally managed a better one at 2lb.7oz. Quite most of the afternoon.

Advice please

Perch novice really, fish mainly rivers with access to the Ouse, Kennet and Loddon
Not sure what method/baits to try out, swims to try, please advise.