• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Otters

I watched a bit of it. Some nice shots of Kingfishers.

But this is nature-lite by the BBC. It is much more an exercise in showing off a certain set of smug middle class values in a rural idyll. These types of show are becoming as widespread as cookery programmes. Or otters.
i watched about 20 minutes and got bored and had a kip, well it was sunday.:D

Colin...I think it is important to keep protesting to the authorities and show the evidence at the damage being caused to the fish stocks, wildlife and wildfowl.
There is no real answer for the individual to stop it at the moment unless you are willing to be banged up inside!
The otters as you know are only doing what comes naturally and it therefore comes down to whether the authorities should have sanctioned the otter re-instatement/releases without proper scientific research and impact assessment regarding to the consequences of such actions. Someone, somewhere may well be found to be liable for not researching in the first place!
Personally speaking, I think there will be a turnaround by the authorities 'eventually' when the evidence becomes clear and more apparent to themselves, and when they are made to 'open their eyes' and look at what is happening!
Only then will the law regarding otters be changed!
At present, they don't want to look, and the heads are buried to the carnage being caused. They know already, in my opinion, but don’t want to admit it!
In the end, Otters will probably be classed just as mink are now and controlled in some way or possibly Nuetered/Spayed so they can’t breed in such numbers!
Basically, if anglers are not prepared and afraid to voice the issue now, then you must expect fisheries to decline and your own fishing (and barbel populations) to be lost.
Best regards...Ray

Im affraid mr boote is completely correct..Im also affraid that everyone else is right also regarding otters taking existing big fish stocks..Ive been walking the dorset stour for a few months now and have seen lots of big chub and big bream with visable otter attack scars and half eaten tails..Also i spoke to some walkers who photograph various wildlife along the stour and they said they had noticed moorhens,mallards etc dissapearing..Its quite possible that other species are also falling prey to the otter such as voles..Unfortunately it makes no difference even if natural england and the otter trust did admit they made a mistake because by the time they do the damage will already be done..Very interesting point dave..it might sound daft but it actually could be possible with the relevant proof..

There will be quite a few fisheries suffering the same as the stour and ouse,wensum in the coming years..I think the best way would be to remove the otter from fisheries where its proven to be a problem and then look at the real issues such as water abstraction/pollution levels and then do something about it and restore the eco system of the river and then perhaps mr otter wont be such a problem..One thing i cant understand is once the otter has eaten most of all the wildlife by which i mean birds,voles(which are actually in decline and not far off the endangered list)and most of the big fish stocks which are also in decline whats it going to turn to next?..

I wonder if we could follow the USA and get some smarta55 lawyer to sue English Nature for the value of the fish lost on one of the effected carp/barbel fisheries. That would set them back a bit and focus their minds to our plight.

or even one of those "no win no fee" outfits...:)

The Chairman on Monday

Yes, as young Paul alluded last night in his Halcyon thread in Viewpoint. I am in the process of pitching a new series, Escape To Boomer Country For a Bargain With Well-Bred Kirsty Allsop In a Morris Countryman and on Steam Trains With a Perfect Family Plus Some Juicy Grub and Heirloom Antiques. Sure to be a hit with those poor dupes who believe it is their right to lead elegant, self-regarding lifestyles and get all shirty when they can't.

As ever,

B.B. ("The Beauchamps - Having Their Cake and Eating It - and telling those less fortunate that they really should do the same - since 1066")

Excellent. I won't be tuning in, but you have got the demographic spot on.

The Chairman on Monday

Then you might not be too pleased to hear, young David, that, thanks to my minx of a niece, Bathsheba (of DeScrogines Associates PR of Notting Hill - extortionate rates but she does know all the right people!), I have found the presenters for the self-authoring, super-aspirational Yoof Version of my forthcoming television series, namely Kenton Cool and Bonita Morris, of Gloucestershire and Wokingham respectively. So that you know and avoid like the proverbial plague...

http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/england/gloucestershire/8686164.stm

As ever,

B.B. (Chairman, of course, and now something huge - exact title presently eludes me - in Worst Intentions Films, part of the Beauchamps Entertainment Group)

Hi men ,

Paul , this is a very slow withdrawl from this site aint it :D, because even though you said you would not comment on O****S anymore , like me , its a subject thats not going away , and divides opinions .

Hatter

If my non-withdrawal from here worries or annoys you in any way, Mark... well, all is can say is "EXCELLENT!": a long-time purpose in my life has been to challenge the norm, to question the intention and the wisdom of others' handed-down "wisdom", to upset a few applecarts when necessary, to keep Heathens from the door... Do feel free to bang on about otters, though.

Hi men ,

Paul , :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D, toy back in pram now then :p. Unlike YOU ( who's mind changes with the wind ), I have resisted the subject :p.

As iv said to you in PMs , keep on posting , as not to would not show different sides of arguments , they are entertaining posts , sometimes I read them twice to understand them , but thats the council estate in me :D:D:D:D:D:D:D

Hatter

Far too grown-up and cool-headed for toys, tantrums and prams, Mark, and this is what really worries some people...

Hi men ,

Paul , 10 pages in , and its YOU banging on about O****S . I know that there is little we can do on the subject , and its actions highlighted the poor state of some of our rivers , but that dont mean we have to be happy with the situation .

Hatter

Has anyone got any 'actual' proper official information about the numbers of released Otters?

Steve

Yes i have.And its pretty scary:mad:

For example. The river Ivel,i think is only about 15 miles long,has 18
Posative sites of the 22 release sites.Know this to be true as have
the Otter survey of bedfordshire 2008/2009 in front of me as i type.

If my memory serves me correct there were over 70 releases on the river
ouse,and the 70 were made up of pairs and some young,when i last looked
online.

Howard

Back