• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New reading material - 'Catch Cult'

I'm no marketing genius but why would you ever sell out of a first edition? Seems bizarre in this day that a mag could be sold out before the second edition!

Well it's quite simple Julian and I hope you don't mind me pointing out the obvious. If you produce a number of magazines and sell them all then I think you will agree that you have sold out, or am I missing something here:D

Well done on producing a mag that seems to get the approval of the members on here, that is indeed a thumbs up!!
I guess you were a bit cautious about how much was enough on the first run, however I haven't seen a copy yet, should I wait until it goes on-line? :)

Cheers Neil / John, appreciated! Indeed, we had no idea how it would be received and are just 2 working blokes, not a big publishing company and on a very tight budget.
I'm afraid no more copies of CC1 will be available from us but a facebook post might find somebody happy to part with CC1. The plan is to do similar numbers on CC2 and 3 and then evaluate to see if it is worth carrying on with.
Have to say though that the material coming along is superb so fingers crossed!

Good Luck with the project Martin. When will you taking orders (and money) for CC2?

Martin, isn't there any way that orders/payments for CC2 can be made in advance? Surely that would help in assessing the number of copies required?

The best thing I can suggest is to contact Rob Shallcroft through the CATCH CULT website. He's pretty specific on how he wants to play things but always interested in peoples views etc.

Well it's quite simple Julian and I hope you don't mind me pointing out the obvious. If you produce a number of magazines and sell them all then I think you will agree that you have sold out, or am I missing something here:D
No, you are not missing something......
Out of interest, how many were printed?

Hi Martin, this forum alone has 2,395 members, aswell as any guests looking in. And if you advertised on any other forums, thats quite a big audience, think you need to buy a bit more paper and ink for the next issue. :D Good luck. :)

Yes we appreciate that Derek but most people thought Rob was mad when he first suggested the idea, me included, but then again he's always been 'Mad Rob' to me! Seasoned campaigners advised me against getting involved! Plenty went by the wayside, including CAT and Coarse Fisherman. We have been blown away by the response, it means an awful lot because I know how much serious hard work has gone into the project. Our biggest challenge is finding quality material consistantly and I think we gave achieved that up to CC3. We may invest in a bit more ink and paper but will stick to the basic plan and evaluate after CC3. Thanks for the encouragement :)

Hi men,

Not forgetting the other mags mentioned were monthly , and I know they struggled for material in the end , so perhaps treating them mean will keep them keen ;)

Hatter

Hatter, I think it was you that suggested diary extracts/blogs very early in this thread and I would totally agree with you. Something authentic that follows the ups, downs and antics of an angler(s) could be quite a draw. I think it can be difficult to maintain high quality content because there won't be much that hasn't already been covered or available on the bank from YouTube. I think people do get put off when there is too much product placement and promotion especiallly when it's weaved into the narrative.

Years ago Anglers mail had the Frank Barlow column, a match anglers rants,raves,weekly shenanigans, and always funny. The first read in the weekly but he was a very special writer.

Hi men,

Howard , yes I mentioned it , because a diary piece flows and changes . So when you write it "as it happens" you can relate to the success as well as the failures :D , well I can . Our latest trip for an overnighter see no1 son catch a 22lb common , and me a nice looking double mirror so all was good . But not the full story where we were getting it wrong , with lost fish , fish obviously in the swim , missed chances on zig rigs , that was the real story :D

Hatter

We printed 600, 500 were for sale and around 100 for promo, writers copies and advertisers copies etc
Thanks Martin.
Sorry, don't mean to sound negative but that doesn't seem many to me given that the advertising space was completely taken.
I do wish you well and hope it's a success.

Back