• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

New reading material - 'Catch Cult'

Beyond the margins, The far bank, The dabblers digest or, another/different angle are my rather poor, twee and blog title like offerings..it was a long journey home from work tonight..

I have placed my order and am looking forward to a quality read. Fingers crossed.

Nick C

Like wise Nick, need something decent to read while i'm sitting on the ranks. :)
Good luck Martin and Rob. I really hope this is a success for you both. :)

On what date should we be hoping to receive the first issue ? :)

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't like any of them.
Very predictable and a bit kelly kettle :)
Say what you like about CATCH CULT but you won't forget it 'cus it's different!
Just back from Heartbreak lake blanking like a good 'un, computer on and away we go again.
Cheers men and hope to see some of you at the northern angling show.

Thanks for the suggestions but I don't like any of them.
Very predictable and a bit kelly kettle :)
Say what you like about CATCH CULT but you won't forget it 'cus it's different!
Just back from Heartbreak lake blanking like a good 'un, computer on and away we go again.
Cheers men and hope to see some of you at the northern angling show.

A big community of potential buyers of your new publication Martin on this forum so being somewhat dismissive and a bit rude is probably not the greatest business move. If you are so convinced of the merits of the magazine's title (despite it sounding like something aimed at those with evil intent) then don't ask for alternative ideas. But if you do, perhaps displaying a little more grace if none of the suggestions that members have taken the time to post up appeal to you, might be a better and more engaging strategy.

One main definition of cult:

a relatively small group of people having religious beliefs or practices regarded by others as strange or as imposing excessive control over members.

Lovely.

Hi men ,

Howard , well put fella , but I never thought there would be a change of title , and it was just a bit of fun to join in with . To change the title at such a late stage would be hard , and in the scheme of things not that important .
As an example ,

Me " Sue , theres a new mag coming out called Catch Cult "

Sue " really , whats it about ? " , Hmmmmm .

Hatter

Blue Oyster Cult did alright for themselves :D As for Martins comments that some of the suggestions were a bit ' kelly kettle ' .Playing with kelly kettles appeals to the basic instinct of all men [ barbecue syndrome ] it is a deep primeval force amongst all chaps to light fires . Similarly nostalgia and getting back to the old days/ways when things were simpler ,is hugely popular and a big market . I think the fact that the title is generating such interest vindicates to some degree Martins view that we won't forget it , i.e. all publicity is good publicity . Anyway the magazine is clearly not attempting to step in to the Waterlog market so I guess the above is not applicable . Anyway I have ordered my copy and will judge the publication when I have read it . Good luck chaps

Cheers Mike and I hope you enjoy the mag! Agree re kelly kettles and I have one myself, gotta love a bit of messing around with fires and stuff. I also collected Waterlog from the beginning and enjoyed it for many years but stopped a year or so ago as it wasn't really my kind of thing anymore. The name CATCH CULT wasn't my idea but I did like it as soon as I heard it, each to their own I suppose. I think it is the 'common interest' bit in the definition of cult that is relevant. Anyway, I'm off to build a wicker man, cheerio :)

My copy arrived safely this morning, look forward to reading it over the weekend. One immediate thing I noticed when flicking through was the font size, expecting an older readership Martin? :D

My copy arrived safely this morning, look forward to reading it over the weekend. One immediate thing I noticed when flicking through was the font size, expecting an older readership Martin? :D

Likewise ! Will be making a start also this weekend...I like the larger font :D reminds me of Janet and John :eek::eek:

Just had a quick look at catch cult and must say I'm surprised how good it looks and glad it's not all about carp and there is a a nice read about eels . Not going to read it all yet need something to read while I'm eel fishing

Initial thumb thru' and I like what I'm seeing. First article about Perch, some big Perch. I look forward to reading that one, has a brilliant picture of young Ralph Wesley. The look of joy on his face is priceless. Well done Ralph. I like it that there is some sea fishing and of course a Barbel article....I'll keep you posted

Thanks for your comments men but I don't understand why Dean Aston would be 'surprised at how good it looks'?
Can't stop, working on the braille version this afternoon :)

Thanks for your comments men but I don't understand why Dean Aston would be 'surprised at how good it looks'?
Can't stop, working on the braille version this afternoon :)

Martin last few so called new mags that came out was awful To be fair I didn't know what to expect but must say I've enjoyed the mag trouble is now I read most of it and now need something to read while I'm eel fishing:D

Mine arrived yesterday.

The first page I flicked open was a review of a landing net pole, not just any landing pole but the rarely mentioned Drennan Twistlock. The next pages I perused contained some interesting stats on car boot volumes. Quite an eye opener I can tell you.

I'm hooked.

Back