• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

new fishing jacket

cheers Rich...ive bought a quite a few things from them now and very pleased but like Anthony says the spec on them doesn't compare to other waterproof stuff but that's only sales talk at the end of the day and not what it actually does on the bank when its peeing it down and your covered in mud and slime.

I've bought a lot of goretex over the years and to be honest it's good and so it should be for the money(unless army), but the my problem is I only wear it when it rains and then it tends to get very muddy as I rove a lot and then it need washing regularly and once you start doing that with goretex you just may as well be using other fabrics and just re-proof with the likes of nikwax.

I have three jackets I use. A lightweight and tbh crap as anything other than a wind breaker, a shower cones through the shoulders after not long Animal camouflage one that I use for summer and autumn. Then two Karrimor ones a cheap one I got from sports direct which is a light jacket, can’t fault it for about £40. The other is a 3/4 length outer that you can zip a fleece etc into that was a lot more which I’ve had for years and is a serious jacket. You can stand in a full on thunderstorm in it and be bone dry and warm.

I have just taken delivery of one of the military 1st jackets which looks and feels great. Slightly shorter in the body that my other fishing jackets which is fine as long as I can find some salopettes of similar quality to complete the outfit. Anyone sourced a decent pair of salopettes? I prefer these to trousers as I always end up with cold getting in around the midriff unless I go 'bib and brace' style.

Steve

Cliff - I bought the XL from Jason's link. I'm 6'2" with a 44" chest and it's a good fit with the lining in or out. The waist tie (as far as I can tell) only works with the lining removed.

On the Military first website they do give very comprehensive sizing details for each garment. Just as well because an XL size in one garment could be completely different on another.
I got an XL Helikon heavy fleece which was fine but a lightweight one XL was too small.

On the Military first website they do give very comprehensive sizing details for each garment. Just as well because an XL size in one garment could be completely different on another.
I got an XL Helikon heavy fleece which was fine but a lightweight one XL was too small.
Good shout Paul, yes I've noticed different makes may have different sizing charts,always best to check them. I've been buying there stuff for years massive selection and not had one complaint.

I’m 6 ft 3in and relatively slim (my wife thinks otherwise) and there is plenty of room in the XL.

Still trying to source some decent salopettes.

Steve

Is the coat quiet or does the material make a lot of noise when moving ?
I know it is a daft question, but had a waterproof jacket provided by work many years ago and it made so much noise it was terrible.

Rightly or wrongly, I prefer good Goretex or equivalent jackets from the likes of Cotswold rather than stuff from the tackle trade, but like Steve Reed I am also seeking some good quality salopettes, so I'd also be grateful if anyone could recommend any.

Jason.
FOSTERS
That seems a ridiculously inflated RRP. Loads of basic Gortex around that price.

I tend to get the German Army Gortex at about £35 plus US Army Polar Vest around £12.new.
Add a fleece and/or thermal trousers if needed.

All cheap enough if you tackle barbed wire.

I did buy the jacket Graham, however I sent it back as the fit is for slim athletic people which I'm not. :(

Your paying more simply because of the shimano badge and I guess the market it was aimed at was perhaps cycling.

I agree army is best value for money though.

Bargain Alert.

On Ebay US Army Polar undershirt 12.99 New.

Just arrived and seems same or better than Sundrige Sleepsuit at 3 times the price.

Rightly or wrongly, I prefer good Goretex or equivalent jackets from the likes of Cotswold rather than stuff from the tackle trade, but like Steve Reed I am also seeking some good quality salopettes, so I'd also be grateful if anyone could recommend any.

Have a look at the Cabelas website its in the USA, but ship world wide, i can vouch for the quality of both the lined (very warm) and unlined items, very soft MT50 fabric, and Gore-Tex too, i didn't think it was too expensive, but what you pay generally dictates what you get....

http://www.cabelas.com/product/clot...ith-gore-tex-reg-regular/1224695.uts?slotId=0

Andy

P.S. The 7 in 1 Jacket is brilliant!

http://www.cabelas.com/product/Cabelas-Mens-MT-Extreme-Weather-in-Parka-Regular/753768.uts?slotId=1

I suppose if you are unfortunate enough to live in the north I could perhaps see reason in the 7 in 1 jacket...but your from Cambridge!

If you order gear from outside the EU, the USA for example, do you have to pay VAT + a handling charge when it arrives? :)

Thanks

Stephen

Back