• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Muck boots

The socks I have bought to go with the Snowlines are the 'Heat Holders Ultimate Thermal Sock' but I haven't worn them together yet (and i'm sure they won't live up to the name 😅). I'm also going to be getting some above the knee socks to go under them - nothing thick, fancy or thermal, but I think that an extra layer up the leg will help ;)

I’m literally just packing now and it was very cold this morning and for the first time my grubs 8.5 boots let me down as my feet felt a little cold in them. I reckon you hit the nail on the head when said best static fishing boots are skeetex 👍. By the way what socks do you boys recommend in very cold weather i wear bridgedale summit socks just wondering if there are warmer ones
Either a pure wool sock or high wool content.Merino sheep or alpaca.Norwegian army socks also have a high wool content.

Last edited:
Spent all my life(well up to now )hunting shooting fishing,on a professional basis.Never been bothered about Wellies keeping my feet warm,more about the grip,having worked with many keepers and stalkers ,there is one common theme,don't buy Muck boots or you will end up on your arse.Just my experience.
Agree with this, which is why I have a set of crampons that fit over wellies or walking boots. Worth every penny but not infallible so I'll often take a storm pole , traverse down and even cut in new steps if I have to. On them Swale banks after floods they are treacherous, and one mistake will be one too many. I couldn't imagine winter fishing without them to be honest.

The socks I have bought to go with the Snowlines are the 'Heat Holders Ultimate Thermal Sock' but I haven't worn them together yet (and i'm sure they won't live up to the name 😅). I'm also going to be getting some above the knee socks to go under them - nothing thick, fancy or thermal, but I think that an extra layer up the leg will help ;)
Will these thin, above the knee socks have a seam up the back and be held up by bits of elastic on a belt ? If so I am sure a lot on here would LOVE to see a picture of you wearing them Rob 😁.

On the Grub boots... I've just retired my FROSTLINE boots for the winter, having sat out Friday when air temp was 3 degrees most of the day and my toes were chilly, even with my thick socks on. Saturday evening I wore my SNOWLINE boots for the first time, air temp was about 6 degrees and I didn't have thermal socks on. My feet weren't cold but neither were they toasty. I imagine if I'd worn them with my thermal socks they would have been toast.

I think what we need to remember with most of the these 'stylish' neoprene boots is that they are designed for keeping feet warm when active, and I've no doubt even my Grubs Frostline would keep my feet warm if I was moving about and even if temps were freezing. But not so when sat static. The warmest static boots will always, IMO, be the skeetex type with woolly liners etc. Problem for me is that I just cannot walk far in this type of boot.

I have ordered a pair of thermal liners to go in the Snowlines, felt base with a woolen top layer. I did already try some cheap ones off ebay, but they were wafer thin and have worn down to nothing in about 3 or 4 wears (gets what you pays for).

Anyway, it hasn't been that cold yet... 😂
which one did you go for i was looking at these
storfisk boot liners

be interested to see what you have ordered

which one did you go for i was looking at these
storfisk boot liners

be interested to see what you have ordered

I'm starting cheap and working upwards 😅 yours are proper jobs!

Apart from the summer months I virtually live in wellies!. I wear them fishing, on shoots, and twice a day every day walking 2 labs. I've tried every conceivable make there is and for the last 25 years I've been wearing neoprene Aigles. Not cheap by a long way but they're the most comfortable, long lasting, warm wellies I've found. Even better than Le Chameau. You can walk miles in them. You hardly notice you've got wellies on!. My present pair I've now had 5 years. I paid 145 quid for them. Worth every penny.

Apart from the summer months I virtually live in wellies!. I wear them fishing, on shoots, and twice a day every day walking 2 labs. I've tried every conceivable make there is and for the last 25 years I've been wearing neoprene Aigles. Not cheap by a long way but they're the most comfortable, long lasting, warm wellies I've found. Even better than Le Chameau. You can walk miles in them. You hardly notice you've got wellies on!. My present pair I've now had 5 years. I paid 145 quid for them. Worth every penny.
ARE ANY OF THESE THE ONES YOUR TALKING ABOUT

Attachments

• 2C086E85-2C3B-43EB-83DF-D91E9E738D38.png
    2C086E85-2C3B-43EB-83DF-D91E9E738D38.png
    213.8 KB · Views: 250
  • 481FCBFD-8766-4AB3-99A2-2E8B1F157B5A.png
    481FCBFD-8766-4AB3-99A2-2E8B1F157B5A.png
    285.4 KB · Views: 239
OR, you could get some of these, problem solved.

20 pairs at less than £1 a pair.

Last edited:
By the way what socks do you boys recommend in very cold weather i wear bridgedale summit socks just wondering if there are warmer ones

Just to report back Robert, wore my snowline 8.5's today paired with the heat holders ultimate thermal socks. Now it wasn't the coldest of days, air temp between 5 and 8, but my feet were toast all day. As a whole, with my M&S merino wool themals, snowlines, socks and aldi special bib n brace and jacket I was superbly comfortable today. Too warm at times in fact. But a big factor being there is no wind at the moment, but it bodes well for the chillier days to come.

Just got my Grubs Snowline, first impressions very positive, look much better sealed around sole than my Artic Sports and like the Vibram sole. But will they keep my feet warm ??

Just got my Grubs Snowline, first impressions very positive, look much better sealed around sole than my Artic Sports and like the Vibram sole. But will they keep my feet warm ??
They are great boots Cliff, had a pair 5 years now. Far better sole than the Arctic sports.

Back