• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Muck boots

As Ive said on here before, the current muck boots are not of the same quality as years ago, the inner lining wears very quickly on the heal and my latest pair have sprung a leak after a couple of years light wear. I'm looking at alternative options now.

As Ive said on here before, the current muck boots are not of the same quality as years ago, the inner lining wears very quickly on the heal and my latest pair have sprung a leak after a couple of years light wear. I'm looking at alternative options now.

Cliff have a look at the Grubs Snow line 8.5 they look and feel very well made and i have just bought a pair to replace my Muck Boot Spey but I've not had chance to wear them on the bank yet.

Cliff have a look at the Grubs Snow line 8.5 they look and feel very well made and i have just bought a pair to replace my Muck Boot Spey but I've not had chance to wear them on the bank yet.
I'm on my 2nd pair of Grubs Snowline and cannot fault them. Certainly keep me dry and warm and the Vibram soles make them a great option for mobile anglers and a winter dog walking boot . I find them as comfortable as walking boots. To manage expectations, they do eventually fail but like a lot of my gear they have a hard life and I feel I've got my moneys worth if I get 3 seasons out of them. I had some neoprene Aldi ones that looked and felt great and a snip at £20 but the sole split within weeks so false economy.

Ive got a pair of Rovex EVA boots .I remember trying them on in the shop and couldn’t believe how light they were so I thought I would give them a punt based on that and the low price.I thought they might last a year or two as they felt like they were made out of polystyrene. Well that was five years ago and I cant believe theyre still going.
I have tried lots of others over the years but most have been a killer on the legs.
I don’t bother with the liners as they wont last five minutes, just a decent pair of socks.Theyre so light it feels like im fishing in my slippers.The only negative is the grip isn’t brilliant, so im thinking of investing in some crampons, especially for one venue I fish where the banks are lethal after a flood .
Theyre also not the trendiest, I wouldn’t want to wear them at Glastonbury ,and ive heard a few Farmers snigger but at 25 quid for five years comfy warm walking ,who cares.

I’ve had muck boots Tay sport there decent but these are the boots i wear for the winter and there nice to walk in

Attachments

• 85D270D2-0729-4356-9B5A-72D1C464D2E5.png
    85D270D2-0729-4356-9B5A-72D1C464D2E5.png
    456.6 KB · Views: 233
And for summer time these are my other boots not cheap lads but at the end of the day it’s your feet we’re talking about can’t put a price on warmth & comfort

Attachments

• 766F81B6-DC0A-4E52-98EC-CEEA8A5FC9CF.png
    766F81B6-DC0A-4E52-98EC-CEEA8A5FC9CF.png
    247.7 KB · Views: 207
Hmmm, my first impressions of a winter using arctic muck boots is not as positive as some of the reviews on here , ive worn them with merino wool socks and still suffered cold feet im afraid, havnt found them any better than any other so called thermal wellie . I do suffer with cold feet and always struggle to find warm footwear but im afraid the search goes on as arctic sport muckboots aint doing it for me
I must admit my toes have started to feel the cold the last few times Iv been out but recon if I’d had my other boots on my feet would of been freezing. Might get some fleece boot liners to go with them. I don’t recon there is any boots on the market that would keep my feet warm while I’m just sat there

I must admit my toes have started to feel the cold the last few times Iv been out but recon if I’d had my other boots on my feet would of been freezing. Might get some fleece boot liners to go with them. I don’t recon there is any boots on the market that would keep my feet warm while I’m just sat there
Do you smoke Jon? Just asking as since I gave up smoking ~7yrs ago I suffer with 'hot foot', when previously my toes would get sooo cold that they hurt.

Yeah I do smoke which probably doesn’t help with circulation. Although even as a kid before I started I’d get white toes and fingers for no reason and especially when it was cold. Takes forever to warm them up. I used to take tablets for it as a kid but they didn’t make a difference so stopped taking them. I’m a funny one with temperatures to be honest. I’m either too hot or too cold

I use Possum Fur Boot Liners in my walking boots, so will see how i get on in the Artics, and may transfer them over if needs be. I am diabetic so suffer with poor circulation im my feet.

Ive got a pair of Rovex EVA boots .I remember trying them on in the shop and couldn’t believe how light they were so I thought I would give them a punt based on that and the low price.I thought they might last a year or two as they felt like they were made out of polystyrene. Well that was five years ago and I cant believe theyre still going.
I have tried lots of others over the years but most have been a killer on the legs.
I don’t bother with the liners as they wont last five minutes, just a decent pair of socks.Theyre so light it feels like im fishing in my slippers.The only negative is the grip isn’t brilliant, so im thinking of investing in some crampons, especially for one venue I fish where the banks are lethal after a flood .
Theyre also not the trendiest, I wouldn’t want to wear them at Glastonbury ,and ive heard a few Farmers snigger but at 25 quid for five years comfy warm walking ,who cares.
I've never owned muck boots and haven't checked the weight of them but
I purchased a pair of similar eva boots,the Sundridge hot foot boots around 4 years ago with the intention of wearing them only for winter use and when worn with pure wool socks they are without doubt the best and lightest type wellieboot I've ever owned and have known for many years about the less weight your boots are the more you can carry on your back.
The worst heavy boots I had were skeetex,so fatiguing to walk in.Believe it or not, just a weight saving of 4oz per boot is like taking 2lb 8oz out of your rucksack!!

Last edited:
Yeah Dave
My old Skeetex have been consigned to attic for about 20 years.Bloody warm but always felt like a Deep sea diver trudging through quicksand.
Thank god for progress !
I could never tell which was Left or Right boot with them, looked the same to me.

On the Grub boots... I've just retired my FROSTLINE boots for the winter, having sat out Friday when air temp was 3 degrees most of the day and my toes were chilly, even with my thick socks on. Saturday evening I wore my SNOWLINE boots for the first time, air temp was about 6 degrees and I didn't have thermal socks on. My feet weren't cold but neither were they toasty. I imagine if I'd worn them with my thermal socks they would have been toast.

I think what we need to remember with most of the these 'stylish' neoprene boots is that they are designed for keeping feet warm when active, and I've no doubt even my Grubs Frostline would keep my feet warm if I was moving about and even if temps were freezing. But not so when sat static. The warmest static boots will always, IMO, be the skeetex type with woolly liners etc. Problem for me is that I just cannot walk far in this type of boot.

I have ordered a pair of thermal liners to go in the Snowlines, felt base with a woolen top layer. I did already try some cheap ones off ebay, but they were wafer thin and have worn down to nothing in about 3 or 4 wears (gets what you pays for).

Anyway, it hasn't been that cold yet... 😂

I’m literally just packing now and it was very cold this morning and for the first time my grubs 8.5 boots let me down as my feet felt a little cold in them. I reckon you hit the nail on the head when said best static fishing boots are skeetex 👍. By the way what socks do you boys recommend in very cold weather i wear bridgedale summit socks just wondering if there are warmer ones

Back