• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

mortimer & whitehouse gone fishing

I love them both the chemistry is priceless couple of blokes having a great laugh with some fishing thrown in I would LOVE to have a days fishing with them what a laugh it would be !
and for me its right up there with the best ever fishing programs ever made
Gerry.

Now you are 'aving a larf

funny program it is but as for the fishing not that good.

I realise I am in the minority Gerry.

I find it childish and frankly boring with
Ham over planned acting, continuity errors abound and repeated boring health subject discussions.

The photography is great though although I miss some bits as FF it to see any actual fishing.

However, getting a wrap round from you had me laughing.

It is great PR for anglers though. I know a few non anglers who have commented on how much they've enjoyed the show. It puts us in a good light, in contrast to some of the negative press we get.

Absolutely. Another forum I'm a member of is predominantly made up of people in their 20s and 30s, and a large chunk of them are (or were) staunchly anti-angling and always lumped it in with fox hunting and the like. But most, if not all of them who have watched this now see fishing in a completely different light and they appreciate it's far more about getting away from it all and taking in nature and your surroundings than it is about catching a fish, but when we do catch they now appreciate it's nothing like fox hunting.

It's clear the makers are trying to cater to a large non-angling audience and sway any bloodsport thinking given SO much emphasis is put on the release.

I think I read somewhere a while ago it's regularly getting the largest viewing figures for any fishing show ever aired on UK television.

My older son is a pretty typical 12 year old who loves his video games and his phone and it’s his favorite tv program. He watches it on catchup on his own. It’s one of the few programs we can watch together and all enjoy - we all get our own stuff out of it.

Yes, I've seen some of them and it wasn't pleasant. A short etiquette course upon joining a club should be mandatory.

Maybe not an etiquette course but certainly a few hours coaching, how to handle fish etc would be a nice option for new anglers. Clubs more often than not don’t have the resources though and many anglers debut these days is at a local commercial pool on a day ticket or worse still “poaching effectively” on a free or poorly secured water.
Clubs aren’t, to my knowledge the grass routes.
Coaching young teenagers is the area to get them but that’s not as easy done as said.

Great show, but from experience I’d advise against using “Angling Dreams” as a booking agent for the River Wye (which I know the BBC used for the last episode)

I’ve not gone public with my story yet, and there may be some people on this forum who are mates with Adam Fisher, but I had the worst experience ever with him and his Father at their shop in Ross On Wye.

As for Mortimer and Whitehouse - I love the show, guess it’s just what your tastes are.

In my view this show is in the all time top 3 programmes based on a fishing theme that manage to portray angling in a good light and capture the essence of why people go fishing , the other two being ' A passion for Angling '' and '' The Fishing Race''; I don't mean Hayes and Browns fishing race but the other one I think aired in the 80's which I would pay good money for a video of , it was hilarious .

I realise I am in the minority Gerry.

I find it childish and frankly boring with
Ham over planned acting, continuity errors abound and repeated boring health subject discussions.

The photography is great though although I miss some bits as FF it to see any actual fishing.

However, getting a wrap round from you had me laughing.

Well I think your completely and totally missing the point of the show ?
its 2 blokes having a right laugh bouncing off each other both have had a really big health scare one of the important things that they have in common ! and great to hear how they got over it
and as far as continuity errors lol well of course ? as its very loosely about fishing they have to get a few bits were fish are caught ? and get it in

to me its about a couple of very very funny blokes having a whale of a time with a bit of fishing thrown in and fantastic settings a real refreshing light hearted change to the normal korda crap and I for one would fit right in with them a fishing trip

Well I think your completely and totally missing the point of the show ?
its 2 blokes having a right laugh bouncing off each other both have had a really big health scare one of the important things that they have in common ! and great to hear how they got over it
and as far as continuity errors lol well of course ? as its very loosely about fishing they have to get a few bits were fish are caught ? and get it in

to me its about a couple of very very funny blokes having a whale of a time with a bit of fishing thrown in and fantastic settings a real refreshing light hearted change to the normal korda crap and I for one would fit right in with them a fishing trip

Yes. I understand. But if we all liked the same stuff we would all be siting on the Severn with big lumps of meat and the baitrunner on.😂

Its so predictable.

Nice place to fish
Fall over
Rubbish food
Over practiced crap angler
Health talk.

Repeat 10 times.

Back