• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

More questions than really necessary??

OK, so to some these threads may be tedious and repetitive, but to the beginners, those who don't have hours to mooch around tackle shops, or people who just want some ideas before they part with their hard earned, they are relevant ! As others have stated, we all started somewhere !
Local tackle shop ? Yes I support mine, but do me a favour, most are just out to make a fast buck from beginners, make no mistake there are many who do !
For those who don't want to read these 'tedious questions' there is always the scroll button ! I just don't see the problem !
If you want other lively and thought provoking threads then why not start one yourself...................:cool:

Fair enough, but I still think all this would be a non-starter if there was a tackle talk board.

When I started Barbel fishing, what rod, reel, line and bait was the last thing I wanted to know, I wanted to know where, when and how?

Im not knocking beginners. Im just suggesting that tackle talk could quite easily have its own board.

Steve i dont think there are that many who dont realise that a lot of new members are also fairly new to barbel, hell the tackle trade and fisheries promoted it enough (barbel fishing that is), the new boards are a bit slow
at the moment but bearing in mind a lot of the old members are not yet posting on here, mainly for a lot of the reasons the new BFW was conceived,
for experienced guys that are a tad bothered by many queries on tackle please remember a forum once releived of any type of posting about barbel
will quickly become a very limited point of interesting posts and threads, we need newer guys to barbel to ask whats this and why ect., then others give their opinions and ideas ect and the simple thread takes on a totally different
front, simple questions with lots of answers and reasons why and maybe offers to show at an event ect is what made the old comeradie, not guys harping on about this and that, not guys bored because they already know, if ya know then offer up your experience and the bonds of friendship begins,
obviously most of this aint aimed at you Steve,
someone said cant guys be more specific on the reports, well they must have come on board a bit later, once we all discussed sections, potentials, baits, current catches and conditions ect ect. then a lot started getting publicised, guys would ask things and low and behold the asnwers started to appear in press articles ect:eek: consequently when someone new asks abot a specific section now instead of offers to meet up and get a few tips on the water and get to know other members they get pointed in a basic direction and left to it, this is not because of so called cliques its because guys generosity and hard learning was taken for granted sometimes-- i repeat SOMETIMES.
baits and results of bait testing/making were discussed openly, ok maybe a tiny bit missed but info and results were freely offered, hell! Andy Francis
was the kind guy who brought halips and salips to barbelmen, not only that he took on the tiring task of delivering fresh batches to us too, Money motivation? i doubt it very much, Andy being the generous guy he is just
gave us the benefit of his findings, just like the range of harrison bfw rods
again we were made aware of the marvellous range of barbel rods again not hype just a chance for us to get out hands on stuff thats up to the job,
christ if he was earning bundles of cash from us he wouldnt be working elsewhere would he, no just a really nice bloke, ok that m,e off me soapbox:D
but seriously guys think on whats been said and no doubt i have missed lots more good bits on why and why not.:)

Last edited:
I find it highly amusing that the people who object to the 'Which/What' type threads are suggesting a seperate area for those types of thread, leaving the main area free for the 'serious' threads....and then admitting that there has only been TWO such 'serious' threads in recent weeks :eek:

I hope these guys are very good at watching paint dry, 'cos there aint gunna be much else for them to do while they wait for the next thread which passes the test, using their elitist notions of what is suitable stuff for them to read/take part in :D:D:D

Then again, perhaps we need a seperate area for threads like this one :rolleyes:

Cheers, Dave.

I seem to have inadvertantly ruffled a few feathers with this one....as I said in the first part of the thread I originally posted:

"....more a refelction on whether the Internet has possibly dulled the pioneering spirit that I so fondly remember from early Carp fishing days."

I realise it is ironically a question in itself, but is it in any way derived from the Darkside? I think not....merely something that I thought about in a quiet moment whilst fishing one evening....I often have such thoughts in times of calm tranquility and thought I'd explore to see what the general concensus was - Kind of wish I haden't really:(

Keep smiling

Paul

I seem to have inadvertantly ruffled a few feathers with this one....as I said in the first part of the thread I originally posted:

"....more a refelction on whether the Internet has possibly dulled the pioneering spirit that I so fondly remember from early Carp fishing days."

I realise it is ironically a question in itself, but is it in any way derived from the Darkside? I think not....merely something that I thought about in a quiet moment whilst fishing one evening....I often have such thoughts in times of calm tranquility and thought I'd explore to see what the general concensus was - Kind of wish I haden't really:(

Paul
I reckon you made some good points, too many so called anglers want the short cut to catching barbel, its a must have. I personally cant see the satisfaction in not doing it for yourself and having continually to ask about the most trivial of things.
However I gotta say that Darkside is pure negative cr*p you are better than that, perhaps in you next moment of quiet reflection you might consider this.

Dean,
if you want to get serious about all that pink stuff, pick up the phone and talk to the Hexagraph guy at Bruce and Walker. They will produce a hexagraph blank in any colour. They have already done so in pink for one angler (it was a Cancer Research thing - pink ribbon and pink rod!). A snip at £480

I think that the initial post was a fair enough question,by an obviously good,sucsessful and thinking angler,but to then go to another site where you know the **** will be taken was a bad move.

The other site is as we all know not an angling site and just a bit of fun

Thats life ! no big deal just a bit of a shame really.

mike

Last edited:
I reckon you made some good points, too many so called anglers want the short cut to catching barbel, its a must have. I personally cant see the satisfaction in not doing it for yourself and having continually to ask about the most trivial of things.

Thank heaven car manufacturers don't have to re-invent the wheel every time they design a car, 'cos cars wouldn't half be expensive then, wouldn't they :D:D

In other words, if everyone who started out in fishing had to 'do it for themselves' rather than risk upsetting some folks by asking for help on forums such as this one (a community of like minded people helping each other :rolleyes:), then a whole lot of research would get repeated over and over again...and a whole lot of time and money would be wasted....and a whole lot of people who were not blessed with the type of mind to enable them to 'do it for themselves' would simply give up angling....while a whole lot of knowledgeable guys who would have been only too happy to help would be left asking themselves 'I wonder why they didn't just ask?'

:D:D:D

Cheers, Dave.

I am never going to knock free advertising.

That is after all what it is.

Can you keep a secret ? That board was actually created on my PC. My main focus was that it was a place that people seem to be absolutely incapable of discussing fishing or out of some personal disorder find it impossible not to spend hours trying to upset other people could go and leave this board alone.

Seems to be still fulfilling it's role.

Facts are that in the world there are people as I described above. We have banned them. Any doubts as to why can be seen on a daily basis there.

If you want to go visit, not really worth the bother, feel free however I would suggest that bringing threads from that site over to these boards will just be removed.

While it seems it is their intention to advertise BFW it is not ours to advertise theirs.

The 'which' and 'what' threads are an inevitable part of this web site and always shall be. I notice that one or two that have leapt to their defense never come forwards and answer them :rolleyes: but then, maybe they see it as beneath them.

The trouble with this sort of question is, in my opinion, twofold and maybe each thread should have it emblazoned in large red lettering at the beginning.

1. The guys that are asking the questions are often the 'experts' that are answering them just a year or so later. I have seen this happen many times over the years on this and other sites.

2. If you ask for opinions you get just that - opinions. Ask ten anglers for their favourite line, hook or whatever and you will get probably six or seven different makes in the reply. Of these, the most popular may well be the most hyped by the trade and you are not getting an expert view but the view of the most gullible.

Took it off as worried some take it the wrong way on here , Some of you need to lighten up .

Picture019.jpg

No need to ask whats the best wellies etc these are what you must have idea for the river while fishing over a flower bed
Picture021.jpg

made by big boy cast a dream and you look good. Line is red not too sure who makes it but it goes with the reel . "Suites you sir "
Picture022-2.jpg

check this bad boy out cast lead up to 2 stone nice action and most important you look good on the banks . :D This is some light hearted fun which fish is fun .

It's interesting to see just how many threads are 'Which?' discussions currently - quite a high percentage. And I've contributed to some myself. So I can't knock them. But I think I know what Paul is getting at.

If there has been a trend on the forums over time perhaps it has been to more consumer related guidance than tactics or 'stories'.

That probably reflects the journey barbel fishing itself has taken over the past decade - from a bit of a fringe fraternity, where a basic openness and sharing were common, to something more mainstream and 'gear' focused where people are a bit more tightlipped about the stuff that really matters. Reminds me of carp fishing in a way.

Just the way it is?

edit - was on the point of mentioning how humourless barbel fishing can seem at times, but glad I didn't, seeing Dean's post. :)

I am never going to knock free advertising.

That is after all what it is.

Can you keep a secret ? That board was actually created on my PC. My main focus was that it was a place that people seem to be absolutely incapable of discussing fishing or out of some personal disorder find it impossible not to spend hours trying to upset other people could go and leave this board alone.

Seems to be still fulfilling it's role.

Facts are that in the world there are people as I described above. We have banned them. Any doubts as to why can be seen on a daily basis there.

If you want to go visit, not really worth the bother, feel free however I would suggest that bringing threads from that site over to these boards will just be removed.

While it seems it is their intention to advertise BFW it is not ours to advertise theirs.

I just love it :D you are a very bad man Andy :D:D:D

And that post probably manages to achieve more in a few lines than just about any other post I have ever read :D

I was going to ramble on more....but I can't, no time... I want to read Andy's post another couple of times :D:D

Last edited:
Back