• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

More questions than really necessary??

I think Paul (topic starter) has raised a very valid point.

If I look on the Barbel Talk board there is very rarely any topics specifically related to actual barbel fishing, maybe 1 or 2 threads. The frustrating Big Fish thread being a very good recent one.
The Barbel Talk board is more akin to the Barbel Tackle Talk to me and as I have suggested before BFW needs its own tackle talk section. If this then becomes the most popular board then so be it.
The new incarnation of BFW started off with some real thought provoking topics but this has very quickly decended into 'What item of tackle for this or that'?

Tackle talk is very subjective anyway, and I do believe half of the people asking for recomendations on tackle would fare far better if they went it to tackle shops and tested it for themselves, and actually formualte their own opinions about things, but that is just my view.

My angling buddy and me were talking in a simlar vein a few nights ago whilst bagging a couple of Ouse barbel. He and I both believe the internet has taken the adventure out of most things in life, fishing included.

I do tend to agree Ash, I spent many hours on the Upper Trent trying new areas, had many blanks and caught a few good fish along the way.
People post now for information rather than go and find out for themselves..
I have enjoyed my adventures and other than trying to find out water levels and the weed situation (which currently is impossible to fish with) I rarely ask questions.
I will however offer advice where I think it is warranted.

Paul

What's worse - people posting questions, or people posting about people asking questions?

Answer on a postcard to:

The hot peg
Some field
On the river bank
BA7 8EL

R.

Nice to see the debate is progressing with thought provoking points of view coming to the fore :)

Paul

PS: Which swim in Castle Cary is The hot one?

Last edited:
well said jw.as you say.stops the unwary from parting with hard earned dosh.
cheap at half the price.i first wet a line in 1937 but peruse the site before i open my wallet
hope you are on top line john.
albert

I no longer reply to the which rod, reel, line etc posts.

Not because I do not want to just because I have been out of the UK for 4 years or so and therefore the market has changed, well probably I guess as I haven't been back.

What I do know is that through reading those posts my set up changed and improved my fishing. OK there were a couple of blind alleys along the way but the information I gleaned from here was always more useful than not and I don't really think I can be classed as a beginner.

With the tackle market still evolving at a pace I always found it useful keeping tabs on new ideas that come up from time to time in those posts that I may have missed otherwise.

Now...I just choose not to view them unless they get to 3 - 4 pages as some other idea may have popped up in the course of the thread.

Those style of threads will, hopefully, always be present here as I also remember those secretive days of early carping and even worse those secretive days of the late 80's and early 90's barbelling.

I forsee the mention of "instant angler" in this thread so let's kill that quickly.

Welcome to the 21st Century.

There are always those that are going to look for that quick fix of gratification. That in itself is really not that bad a thing just not my way of fishing. I forget who wrote it but the expression the more I learn the more I realise I do not know is close to summing up those anglers I respect the most.

Some of those instant anglers are going to become thoughtful writers on here one day, in fact if you ask some of the posters here today they will put their hands up to that and tell you how that simple hook question they first posted became a love affair with a style of fishing and environment that we all do.

Couldn't agree more with any of the above from Andy.
Never to old, and never too clever to learn.
And if annoys some other know it all that a question is being asked again.....tough!

I'm all for sharing information with anyone who might request it. To quote an old teacher of mine "Every day is a learning day, some days you learn two things."

However, tipping a hot peg to a stranger is different!

I rather like the idea of a seperate board/section for Tackle and ancillary items which one could easily refer to when needed. Saves scrolling through loads of headings and works well on a couple of private boards i see from time to time.

Perhaps the powers that be might consider it in their deliberations

Mike

Dont mean to play devils advocate but if anything i think sometimes the answers could be more informative,especially the river section! What might be a good idea is to have a seperate 'Best' type of tackle review section. Other than that i think the forum is great!

Nice to see the debate is progressing with thought provoking points of view coming to the fore :)

Paul

PS: Which swim in Castle Cary is The hot one?

Is this thread some kind of experiment to provoke arguments in BFW and poke fun at its members from the darkside enjoyment.

Link Removed - Andy T

Im sure that other BFW members wouldn't speak to you if they new what gets said about them on that forum and why your still a member is beyond me?

Ive seen hole threads that take the mickey out of BFW members.

Is this thread some kind of experiment to provoke arguments in BFW and poke fun at its members from the darkside enjoyment.

Link Removed - Andy T

Im sure that other BFW members wouldn't speak to you if they new what gets said about them on that forum and why your still a member is beyond me?

Ive seen hole threads that take the mickey out of BFW members.

So glad too see another point out the glaringly obvious, saved me from doing it.

Case somewhat proven by post #4 in the link provided, posted by Lord Daresbury; real name Phil Betteley.

The almost comical thing being, none on there claim to either superiority in intellect or fishing ability, yet seem to love the art of belittlement..... Begs the question, what sort of sad sap feels the necessity to put others down at every conceivable opportunity.
I'd suggest that any individual that feels their urges to put down are so great, must be truly inept!

me speelins meat yar aprooval eh phill or is fick an all??

So glad too see another point out the glaringly obvious, saved me from doing it.

Case somewhat proven by post #4 in the link provided, posted by Lord Daresbury; real name Phil Betteley.

The almost comical thing being, none on there claim to either superiority in intellect or fishing ability, yet seem to love the art of belittlement..... Begs the question, what sort of sad sap feels the necessity to put others down at every conceivable opportunity.
I'd suggest that any individual that feels their urges to put down are so great, must be truly inept!

me speelins meat yar aprooval eh phill or is fick an all??

Its a Noddy free zone for them, or so they think, in truth they surround themselves with like minded idiots content with the thought they really are a cut above...sad fookers:D

At last!

The penny has dropped.

Everyone has to start somewhere and just because the same questions are asked repeatedly, so what, to the person posting it is new.

I despair at times at just what parts of the barbel world have become, or to what level they have sunk.

The onus is on those who have the knowledge and experience and advice to pass it on and those who ask should not be ridiculed for doing so.

The other site borders on the pathetic, if it were adolescents it would be barely acceptable but for grown ups (supposedly) it beggars belief.

If you can't get an answer on these excellent boards there are other places to ask as well.

Sorry about that but it is an issue I feel very stongly about.

All the best,

Steve.

I dont know how this has turned into a knock the darkside thread.

Someone has the gaul to provide a slight critique of the message boards and therefore it must be some grand scheme to belittle and wind up the members on here. Paranoia only just about covers it.

I put it out there that when you look at a Barbel Talk board you would expect to see some talk about barbel fishing techniques, swim location, behvioural habits of fish etc etc NOT what piffing Rod Rest, or what is the best Reel to get.

Lets have a tackle talk section and be done with it.

Back