• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lost my mojo

Nothing to do with catching a big fish Neil, I don't fish that river much preferring another. I had a big fish the previous season, thought to be biggest from the stretch but I didn't publicise, it's just not my thing (normally).

Best fight ever from a barbel was a nine I had last season, enjoyed that and was not disappointed when I netted it. It was the biggest of four fish in that session, never had four before where one (or none) is the norm.

I used to fish for tench and pike, neither interest me at all now. Fishing with red pointy things doesn't interest me. Cannot chuck fluff as my neck and shoulder are knackered.

You don't have to fish with red pointy thing mate, i'd go for a change of species as has been said, it did me the world of good Barbel aren't the be all and end all !

If you don't actually WANT to catch, you're buggered. End of...until one day you may want to catch again. Ok fishing ain't just about catching fish, but if you don't actually want to catch, you're not going to enjoy fishing. It can't be forced.
Something has changed Paul. Find out exactly what that is, and you might be able to claw your way back to enthusiasm.

Hi men ,

France is the answer , some of the lakes are like fishing 30 years ago , the rivers are full of barbel , the roads are incredible , the food is lovely , worth a trip .

Be warned though , you find yourself researching waters , and drooling over cheap ferry crossings ....... or i do .

Hatter

If you enjoy night fishing Paul and don’t mind a long succession of blanks, have you thought of trying to target some big bream from some of the large gravel pits down in your neck of the woods? I reckon double figure bream are the hardest species of coarse fish to catch by design. Could be the sort of fresh challenge that a thinking angler like yourself would relish.

Joe. They may be hard on the lakes but are not so in the Thames.

In fact they are a b nuisance. Certainly in times not so long ago.

A couple of us had them to 12lb+ and lots of 4-8lbers

I think you reach a point when as Bob mentioned, your chasing and competing for an ever dwindling number of fish, in a disappearing envioment. You catch less fish (in my case anyway) and have less fun because the gear is designed to catch fish, and some of the skills are lost. Like finding new swims, looking around in the closed season.

I’m at that stage now that I go fishing for lots of other reasons apart from fish. I also had a road to Peckham moment too, when I started to fish match style for specimen fish, catching all sorts along the way. It works trust me guys. I can now go to a little pond and catch small fish on very light gear, and have fun it’s roach, little tench, perch etc. Totting is my passion, the Trent lends itself to this I’m pleased to say. Get the match rod out, buy some maggots set up a float and just catch some fish, as you did as a kid.

Rich.

Last season was the worst season I ever had fishing a river that really seemed lifeless this season I'm back on the Hants Avon a river I haven't seen for 4/5 years I'm buzzing now can't wait even though i can't fish it until end of July if this river doesn't do it for me then I might as well pack it in,I get as much enjoyment walking and spotting fish as I do catching them .
Best of luck to all of you for this coming season

Hi Graham,
Saw the photo on FB - nice ones.
Used to sea fish more than freshwater for around 15 years and this involved boat and shore. Got rid of the boat stuff as persistently got seasick. Renewed the shore related tackle a few years back. North Somerset, North Devon, Dorset and South Wales were my main haunts. All great fun on light to heavy gear, bait and lure fishing. :)
Mullet once became a very frustrating obsession and they are present around a mile away in the marina, maybe I'll have a go sometime.
Regards,
Bob

You might recognise this spot Bob

SAM_1948.JPG

Thanks all for the input. Different styles of fishing and different species float different boats. I couldn't even begin to think of fishing stillwaters or pits any more, nor for other species. As I said before I used to fish for tench and for pike but I wouldn't get out of my chair for either these days. May sound a tad (snobbish?) whatever but I'm not keen on the type of person who frequents the waters I used to love fishing years ago.

But those of you who do fish for other species are not wrong, it's just not for me.

Eels and bream mentioned, oh no, sorry :(. France?, no passport these days, and I get seasick in the bath. I think the only other species I might be interested in is perch, I've had them to 3.1/2 and I'd rather like a bigger one or three, I'll ponder that.

No, I think my woes are venue based. I like few anglers in my vicinity, some of that is to avoid the pile-it-in brigade who read in mags that that was what you do, although I have to say most who fish club waters I do know in the main and they aren't like that - maybe newbies but not the majority who've been there a while.

I like to fish opposite something that looks nice, at least until my preferred darkness falls.

I need to talk to a couple of guys I know from the bank although I've not got their numbers. I won't put my number on here obviously so I'll try a PM. We can exchange views, I am so far away from my fishing that I can't just pop over to see.

Last edited:
I am the same and as a club secretary with three additional waters requiring separate permits I have spent the last eight weeks or so averaging a couple of hours an evening doing admin, issuing books and permits plus Sundays weighing in matches (I have no interest in match fishing) and other associated tasks. For the first year since returning to coarse fishing I have not been fishing in the river close season (i.e since March 14th).
Time for a new direction I feel.

Over my limited specimen career, I personally have seen lots of people and members come and go. I see the fish at all costs, being anti BS and Pro BS , BUYING ALL THE top gear, buying the best permits, beating people to pegs etc, going as much allows, divorces etc, friends failings out, the lies etc, people using info for their own gain I could go on. What they do forget is the pleasure of just being there. The chase, timing it right, enjoying the wildlife, meeting old mates who share the same thoughts with no competition, but to enjoy ones captures.

Anyway enough of that rubbish just a couple of days til my rods bending double. I will never lose my mojo to that.

I had a mate in a similar position a year or so a go. He was fishing a syndicate pike water with very limited access. Following a couple of 30s he became obsessed to the point that he coulnt get up any enthusiasm for anything other than these winter pike. I persuaded him to get a trotting rod and go out and try to recapture the original magic of simply seeing a float go down and experiencing the thump of a good fish. Pleased to say that following some super roach off the Severn last year he can't wait till the season opens this year

Not fished for barbel for quite a while now and as much as i like sitting by the river watching the wildlife im there to catch barbel and the bristol avon stretch i fished is now as good as dead in that department.
Andy

Paul, I've got THE answer for you!! Follow in the footsteps of a few other BFW members and move to Herefordshire/Shropshire. It's down to quality of life, and there's no better quality than in 'God's Country'. Have half a mile of bank (BOTH banks) to yourself :eek:.

There are still some big Barbel, recently seen spawning, on the lower Lea. Not that far for you. Massive Chub too.
The Ivel has some massive Perch, had a fair few on maggot, trying for Roach so could produce well targeting Perch specifically. Still some Barbel, again massive Chub. Also not a long drive.
No night fishing on the IPA Ivel sections but other clubs available
2017-03-14 17.20.49.jpg
. Verulam have a new stretch at Sandy, which is a bit of an unknown quantity, I think night fishing is allowed.

There are still some big Barbel, recently seen spawning, on the lower Lea. Not that far for you.

Fishers Green perhaps? Oh no. Takes ages to get there due to local traffic; it's Lea Valley Country Park and EE wonderland; no night fishing; now there are going to charge for parking.

Loved it in the 70s and 80s pre-Leisure Sport, Leisure Sport, pre-Cemex, and pre-LVCP. Park anywhere and catch loads of small barbel nothing (to me) over 9lb.

Wouldn't go there now, but thanks.

Back