• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lost my mojo

Hi men,

If all else fails , find a stretch where you sight fish , we oftern used to spend more time watching than fishing , and iv said it before , walked away from feeding barbel without the need to put a rig to tgem . Sight fishing cures all .

Hatter
Gets the old ticker going, that's for sure (bloody hard going on the Lower Severn though :eek:)

I'd go along with the sight fishing thing, last week I had three carp stalked on floating crust, that rush of adrenalin when one approaches your bait is fantastic and despite missing more takes than I hit I had a great time.

Variety is the key to maintaining my enthusiasm, different waters, different clubs and different target species.

Paul, the simple answer is, go and have a game of golf, £25-£35 for a round, £10 + for fuel to and from course, £10 + for a drink and food afterwards. All in all, £55+, for 4 hours or so, walking all day, with no fish. Just grab a rod, whether it be float/feeder/lead, and not much else. A few bits in ya pocket, bait/hooks etc, and just walk the bank, of an unknown ( free, or day ticket stretch ). Even if you have to travel a bit, it,ll still work out cheaper. And much more enjoyable. Try and set yourself a new challenge. e.g. a new river perch, roach PB. Good luck whatever you choose, and i hope the mojo is back soon.

Bob.
Went down to South Wales last week for my first proper go at beach fishing.
Loved the surf sand and breeze.
Mark W managed a few fish including couple of smoothounds to 7lb+.

Although I only managed a small bass I have now kitted myself out with all the gear and intend going a week into the river season.

Give it a go.

Paul. You need some river changes.
Hi Graham,
Saw the photo on FB - nice ones.
Used to sea fish more than freshwater for around 15 years and this involved boat and shore. Got rid of the boat stuff as persistently got seasick. Renewed the shore related tackle a few years back. North Somerset, North Devon, Dorset and South Wales were my main haunts. All great fun on light to heavy gear, bait and lure fishing. :)
Mullet once became a very frustrating obsession and they are present around a mile away in the marina, maybe I'll have a go sometime.
Regards,
Bob

Trying hard to get motivated. Just preparing the girls' dinner :)

girls_dinner.jpg

Took a leaf out of a book called Fishermans year by John Holden first published in 1987, about being a all rounder fisherman dare I say it a pleasure angler.

I've been exactly the same - I've blabbed on about it plenty. Did a WP last week and somethings stirring. It was just great being at the river, clearing out a new peg,seeing mates not seen for a few months. For the first time in months I'm looking forward to the weekend - just being out there.
I'm also joining a new club with different pals and we're all starting afresh together - one is a piking nut, two are 100% big barbel and I'm happy with anything so whilst a bit daunting , we'll end the season having learnt a lot and had some good experiences and a few laughs if nothing else.
I have to travel to fish, and every year I make a point of pushing it a bit more - inspired by Gav H-R on here, me and my piking mate have booked a few days on the Ebro and with a barbel nut mate, we have a week on the Wye - will be two very different but equally enjoyable trips.

Back