• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lone angler

Its currently £7 pounds more than the troubled drennan handle, not a massive difference, but the posts on here that berated the drennan handle were numerous, yet when a replacement is offered up its slated.
Then you say that you have had the same pole for X amount of years with minor repairs where was the reccomendation of that pole guys????, but surely if a product is good it shouldnt need work on it?. And people on here have torn into the drennan pole relentlessly, even though a solution has been offered by the firm.

Lets see a good review of the new lone dangler handle please before berating it because of the cost of it.

Patrick, why do you keep banging on about anglers being fickle, insisting that price is the only issue involved in these complaints? Why do you insist on ignoring the post's whereby the critics are explaining that it's NOT just the price, it is the WEIGHT of the handle that bothers a lot of people?

People like Ade Williams have explained, in very reasonable terms, that weight IS an important issue for many anglers....for many reasons. To some, age and/or infirmity are a problem, to others it is purely the distance they walk when they are stalking. for some, unbelievable as this may sound...they just PREFER light gear...shock, horror :D Apparently, according to one poster, that means they are not men. I think most of us had a good laugh at that one ....including, no doubt, the many women who now fish for barbel :p

I think everyone agrees that the old version was a brilliant bit of kit, so hopefully the new one will be as well. However, it is still fairly pricey, and still pretty heavy. For those who are fit and strong, and those who fish from the back of their car, no doubt this pole will be one of the very best available, and will suit them well for many years. All the others are saying is it's not for them.

Cheers, Dave.

Weight???? Christ on a bike have you seen how much **** barbel anglers take to a bank??? And your worried about a landing net handle pole? If its too weighty when at full extension then put some insulating foam around the top of the pole and ues that to float the net out. Or will carrying that extra bit of foam weigh people down?? And if people are worried about weight carrying then if you use a trolley or put some wheels on the bottom of your quiver/tackle bag that would reduce the strain on limbs.

Its that or you pay for a titanium extending pole, which at current prices will be over £200 for a 10ft extending pole.

And barbel anglers ARE the ficklest anglers I know. FACT!

One made of sodium or potassium would be lighter......and on contact with water be even lighter..... albeit weaker and lacking substance.

One made of sodium or potassium would be lighter......and on contact with water be even lighter..... albeit weaker and lacking substance.

Bob having seen what a lithium battery does when it gets wet it would certainly make the banks a little less crowded:D

People like Ade Williams have explained, in very reasonable terms, that weight IS an important issue for many anglers....for many reasons. To some, age and/or infirmity are a problem, to others it is purely the distance they walk when they are stalking. for some, unbelievable as this may sound...they just PREFER light gear...shock, horror :

Cheers, Dave.

Forgive me for using your quote out of context Dave, but it reminded me of the time when a good fishing buddy had to move in with friends for a few months inbetween moving house, and , because space was limited, left all his gear at my place.
To avoid forgetting anything he put most of his kit in his 110 ltr rucksack, which I dutyfully loaded into the motor every week before picking him up for a fishing trip.
After being on the receiving end of a few of his pranks, and knowing that he always preferred the swim with the longest walk, I placed an extra bit of kit at the bottom of his bag,...namely, a housebrick!
It gave me months of joy seeing him set off on the 1/2 mile yomp to his chosen swim!
Believe me,..he has had his revenge ten fold,..still, happy memories though.

The landing net handle looks a good bit of kit, and will suit some, but I would be bothered about the weight and being made of carbon and glass, cannot accomodate a decent stainless steel fitting for the net.
I adapted an alloy Thames bankstick which extends to 7ft 6inns, by hacksawing off the point, fitting shrink rap on the 22mm dia 'handle' and fitting a fuji buttcap. Then finished off by replacing all the fittings with stainless steel components,..net weight is 20oz and has seen me through the past 28 years.:)

Last edited:
Forgive me for using your quote out of context Dave, but it reminded me of the time when a good fishing buddy had to move in with friends for a few months inbetween moving house, and , because space was limited, left all his gear at my place.
To avoid forgetting anything he put most of his kit in his 110 ltr rucksack, which I dutyfully loaded into the motor every week before picking him up for a fishing trip.
After being on the receiving end of a few of his pranks, and knowing that he always preferred the swim with the longest walk, I placed an extra bit of kit at the bottom of his bag,...namely, a housebrick!
It gave me months of joy seeing him set off on the 1/2 mile yomp to his chosen swim!
Believe me,..he has had his revenge ten fold,..still, happy memories though.

The landing net handle looks a good bit of kit, and will suite some, but I would be bothered about the weight and being made of carbon and glass, cannot accomodate a decent stainless steel fitting for the net.
I adapted an alloy Thames bankstick which extends to 7ft 6inns, by hacksawing off the point, fitting shrink rap on the 22mm dia 'handle' and fitting a fuji buttcap. Then finished off by replacing all the fittings with stainless steel components,..net weight is 20oz and has seen me through the past 28 years.:)

Great story, but 7ft6in will struggle in many swims on the Teme,Wye etc with the steep and dangerous banks. Last thing you want is to fall in, especially this weather.:eek:

Fair point Patrick,..having fished the Wye I can understand where you're coming from,..but I have found that with the additional 30+ inches of net, [even free flow nets] that it can become difficult to hold a net in fast flows at 'range',...horses for coarses and and all that,..as I said ,it will suit some.

Last edited:
Fair point Patrick,..having fished the Wye I can understand where you're coming from,..but I have found that with the additional 30+ inches of net, [even free flow nets] that it can become difficult to hold a net in fast flows at 'range',...horses for coarses and and all that,..as I said ,it will suite some.

Yes it will suit some, apparently 19 stone body builders!!!;)

Lone Angler have done forum-based-barbelling a huge favour by adding another option to the great 'what landing net handle' threads. We now have at least 3 options; the drennan, the lone angler and the Gardner.

Some say we even have 4 debatable options as some crazy cats throw in the cheap-telescopic-match pole option. Wow.

If you don't want to pay for the Lone Angler pole get a Gardner as endorsed by scuba Steve:

https://barbel.co.uk/site/vbulletin...-gardner-net-extendable-landing-net-pole.html

Last edited:
Lone Angler Landing Net Handle

I have just weighed my new Lone Angler Landing net handle it weighs 760 grams, not a light weight but not that heavy IMO. I think its all about a good grip as well which the larger diameter gives it, especially with the rubber shrink tube to grip.

Regards Ray Thorpe

Thanks Ray,
Just for comparison:
Gardner 512g
Drennan Twist Lock 364g
Weighed.
I've got a Power Stretch and Conoflex Heavy Duty somewhere, if I find them I'll post the weights.

Cheers
Bob

Blimey that is VERY heavy .... :eek:

Wonder if the rods are based on the TW / Harrison blanks from all those years ago?

Last edited:
Ray thats great, but at full extension do you have a way of measuring the resistance on the anglers arm? It will of course be only in the air as other flows of rivers will differ but at full extension it would be good to know

Efficient and swift service for me after ordering some Bass Pro. Looks nice and new too. Also have a couple of those luminous back rod rests. Very cute.

Ade - those sort of class lessons were exciting - bucket chemistry with lots of bang, flames and the odd injury thrown in. Became an industrial research chemist, but got bored with it!
Cheers
Bob

Back