• You need to be a registered member of Barbel Fishing World to post on these forums. Some of the forums are hidden from non-members. Please refer to the instructions on the ‘Register’ page for details of how to join the new incarnation of BFW...

Lone angler

I bought three, 1 short one and two long ones when the company that made them went bust and they were cheap too !! these were never to be made again, that's why also I have sets of rods made up too, twist lock handles that get grit in will break eventually, waste of money.

And they are not too heavy, I can walk all day with one because i'm a MAN !!

I purchased one of the original landing net handles from TW some years ago and it's still in pretty good nick. Yes they are a little heavy but they are robust and do the job you want them to do.

If you don't like the price or weight don't buy one!

I remember posts about Double T gear not being around and there were posts asking for it to be made again or where you could purchase and now it's back under a new logo there are more moans.

No pleasing some people!

Hi men,

I actually lifted Trev's landing net for him while we weighted a fish , I thought it was snagged on something as it was a bit heavy , I would try before you buy , it may not be for everyone . Well built , so should last a long time , its not for me though .

Hatter

Then I am afraid you really should question your manhood Mark:p

It's amazing how many new members are coming out and supporting this new company, now if I was a cynic:rolleyes:

Just because it states we are new members doesn't mean we are fella, we can't be bothered with updating our rank to ie: senior member ;)

What pish posh !! and we certainly don't broadcast our catches on BFW

Were too busy out there whacking fish ! Underground :D

It's amazing how many new members are coming out and supporting this new company, now if I was a cynic:rolleyes:

All for supporting a new company and if I was in need of a new landing net handle, the model offered by Loan Angler would be considered, as I have no problem paying for quality British items (would be good to get a review on BFW too).

I'm just surprised that pellets are being sold at almost £6 per kilo. Also economies of scale do not apply i.e. if you buy 1 kilo or 20 kilo, its still £6 per kilo. Compare this with Hinders Elips which in the quantities that I buy work out at £2.25 per kilo, and according to the Hinders website, Trevor refers to these as the ‘Rolls Royce of pellets!’

Also no harm in pointing out that line which can currently be purchased for less than £4 State side at retail, is now being sold for £19.99 (inc P&P) here!

In short has Loan Angler done real market research here, or is it just relying on some big names in angling to grab everyone’s attention?

All for supporting a new company and if I was in need of a new landing net handle, the model offered by Loan Angler would be considered, as I have no problem paying for quality British items (would be good to get a review on BFW too).

Neil,

Not sure if this was a typo or not, but you are spot on........you will need a loan at these prices.............

Quote £4 state side for bass pro line !!

1500 yrds of 12lb bass pro mono would cost you $5.99 plus a min of $40 shipping plus customs charge. Answer to that is buy it in bulk !

But there's clients that just want to order online UK.

Anyway GR60 is £20.00, lots of line, I get two rods two seasons out of that !

It falls in line with other brands.

If you don't like it don't buy it :D

In short my opinion(s) for what they are worth....................

Would I pay the prices being asked ? In General No !

Do I think it's quality kit/bait ? No Doubt !

Is the old Powerstretch Handle heavy ? Compared to a flimsy match handle yes ! Compared to most of the stuff we anglers carry ? Come on do me a favour lads, it ain't a scaffolding pole !!! It's Bulletproof ! I've had mine at least 10 years and it's still going strong............Would I pay 60 odd quid for one ? Never say never !!!! If it lasted 10 years, 6 quid a year !!

Would I but one of the rods ? Well, No as I would rather a bespoke rod made by Bob for not much more. BUT again I've no doubt that they are quality rods.

Line-wise I'm happy with my Big Game Clear and buy bulk spools which last me season after season.

At the end of the day, it's up to the individual, if you are happy to pay the prices then all well and good. If the baits are successful for you and you have confidence in them, then if you are willing to pay the price then why not !? (Not sure how the small pellets fit into Trefors method of fishing though...............)

All in all, we are tallking about people trying to launch a product line, the target market has many different people with lots of trains of thought. let's face it people MOST branded bait and tackle is well overpriced !

Just a few of my thoughts on the matter.

Quote £4 state side for bass pro line !!

1500 yrds of 12lb bass pro mono would cost you $5.99 plus a min of $40 shipping plus customs charge. Answer to that is buy it in bulk !

But there's clients that just want to order online UK.

Anyway GR60 is £20.00, lots of line, I get two rods two seasons out of that !

It falls in line with other brands.

If you don't like it don't buy it :D

I'll be buying ok, but it'll be when I take the kids to Orlando in May.

Is Lone Angler the sole distributor for Bass Pro Shops in the UK, or is someone filling a suitcase when on holiday? Does it matter, no, but I am curious?

Regards,

Neil

Neil,

Not sure if this was a typo or not, but you are spot on........you will need a loan at these prices.............

Yep a typo sorry, and seriously if I didn't already own a modified power stretch handle, then I'd be looking at the Lone Angler model. As said will be good to see some reviews.

Neil

Dont talk to me about quality Richard, I ordered 1,200 yds of Bass pro excel 12lb clear line from The Lone Angler site on Friday cost me £19.99 with the postage. It arrived next day Saturday. I opened package, the box the line was in was all torn and the spool looked like it had been stored in somebodies garage for 5 years did not look new at all. They will be getting a phone call Monday and the line is going back. Not Happy with what i brought from them. I want some fresh new stock line that i can use with confidence.

Well I phoned Lone Angler this morning, they could not have been more helpful. And are sending me another spool of Bass Excel to replace the one I am unhappy with. Nice people to do business with.

Ray
Well a Happy ending. Lone Angler sent me another spool of Bass Excel which looks New fresh stock. Arrived this morning.

Ray

Yep a typo sorry, and seriously if I didn't already own a modified power stretch handle, then I'd be looking at the Lone Angler model. As said will be good to see some reviews.

Neil

Hi Neil, I took delivery today of the new Lone Angler landing net handle. It exceeds all my expectations and a lot lighter than the old model and opens out to 8 foot 8in, and is now on sale for £52. Cant wait for the new season to start to give it a try.

Regards Ray Thorpe

Is the old Powerstretch Handle heavy ? Compared to a flimsy match handle yes ! Compared to most of the stuff we anglers carry ? Come on do me a favour lads, it ain't a scaffolding pole !!! It's Bulletproof ! I've had mine at least 10 years and it's still going strong............Would I pay 60 odd quid for one ? Never say never !!!! If it lasted 10 years, 6 quid a year !!

Let me lay my cards on the table, I like Trefor West and have spent a good few hours in his company and a good few quid on his bits and pieces so this is not a personal attack in any way shape or form.

However, the power stretch handle was totally over engineered for purpose.

I am not 6'2, young or fit and healthy so weight is an important factor to me. A few ozs less on everything makes a lot of difference when it's added up. The powerstretch weighs in at about a kilo where my 'flimsy' (not) match handle weighs less than half that, it has also never jammed, never needed maintenance other than a few turns of insulating tape to temporarily hold a bit of trim in place, cost around a tenner when I bought it twenty odd years ago has landed thousands of barbel, mostly from high banks and platforms on the middle Severn though plenty from the Teme Trent and Wye and if it ever broke I have another almost new one I found on a boot sale for a fiver to replace it with.
Your right, its not a scaffold pole, its more like an Acrow prop.:D

My point exactly Adrian ! My old Shakespere match style handle is still going strong, even with the joints built up with Araldite ! But it's 20 years old or more and believe me a LOT of modern handles aren't that good !!! The Powerstretch is a great handle (admittedly with the well known mods) and I rate it highly.
My favourite quote so far has to be Shippos :-' You Could Fight Your Way Out Of a Ghetto With It !'

Its currently £7 pounds more than the troubled drennan handle, not a massive difference, but the posts on here that berated the drennan handle were numerous, yet when a replacement is offered up its slated.
Then you say that you have had the same pole for X amount of years with minor repairs where was the reccomendation of that pole guys????, but surely if a product is good it shouldnt need work on it?. And people on here have torn into the drennan pole relentlessly, even though a solution has been offered by the firm.

Lets see a good review of the new lone dangler handle please before berating it because of the cost of it.

Back